FitBit & MFP

Options
Hey Guys!
So I have just synced up my FitBit Flex with MFP, but just wondering how I go about tracking my exercise? I know fitbit does it automatically, but do I still have to add it in to MFP?

Thanks!

Replies

• AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You link them together via the apps, and it when you sync fitbit, it will update MFP next time you start it up
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    FitBit will only add steps--if you do anything else (weight lifting, yoga, etc), you'll have to track that. :) There's also a FitBit community here on MFP...it's full of great tips.
  • victoria090
    victoria090 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I do know the steps sync up...but with FitBit it also measure active minutes....so Im just curious if that will sync as well.
  • Hi Victoria,

In my experience, I've found that it's easier to track your exercises with MFP. I have the Fitbit Flex, and although it will track my activity per se, it doesn't do as great a job at specifying exactly what exercises I've performed.

Enjoy your FitBit!! It's been a huge help in motivating me to become more active overall. I bet you'll find it to be just as helpful as you attain your fitness goals!!
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if logging exercise, say a run, is like 'double dipping' calories burnt? So if the Fitbit is already counting steps and the calories burnt plus logging the run in MFP?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if logging exercise, say a run, is like 'double dipping' calories burnt? So if the Fitbit is already counting steps and the calories burnt plus logging the run in MFP?

Yes, fitbit will log those so if you do it yourself you could double dip. If you use a heart rate monitor, I'd enter manually direct via fitbit- if you specify the time, it will override the steps logged during that time. But you'll need to know the start time and duration. Otherwise, I find the calories burned pretty accurate via fitbit's transfer to MFP. It knows how many steps you take in a given time, knows your weight and age, and will translate for you. 500 steps is not always 500 steps, if that makes sense.