Exercising with an injury success stories

Options
16 months ago I was involved in a car accident. I have a neck injury and post concussion symptoms (dizziness and balance issues). Needless to say it has derailed me from my workout routine. My pre-accident routine was circuit training 2-3x a week and running 1-2x a week. I have made several failed attempts to get back at it. I continue with physiotherapy and massage, very recently my appointments have been stretched to 4-6 weeks apart. It's been a very long road. I've come to accept that I will never be 100% again. I'm struggling with getting in to a regular exercise routine. I know I need to go back slow and easy. I have returned occasionally to my circuit training group but each time I irritate my neck injury. I have gone for walks, working up to 5km. So far no running, not even interval running. I've gained some weight, but mostly lost muscle tone and strength. I would really love to hear from others who have suffered injuries and successfully returned to, or perhaps you've found an exercise program that worked better for you post-injury. In need of some inspiration.

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Perhaps stick to walking. Could try swimming but that may mess up your neck. Also consider tai chi.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Concussions are a tough thing. It's hard to determine what someone can/should be doing post-concussion.

What is your neck injury? Soft tissue? I've fully recovered from all sorts of soft tissue injuries, including a neck injury.

Talk to your doctor about what you can/should be doing.
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, soft tissue neck injury from whiplash. You have fully recovered, how long did it take? I feel like I'm never going to be 100% again!
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    16 months ago I was involved in a car accident. I have a neck injury and post concussion symptoms (dizziness and balance issues). Needless to say it has derailed me from my workout routine. My pre-accident routine was circuit training 2-3x a week and running 1-2x a week. I have made several failed attempts to get back at it. I continue with physiotherapy and massage, very recently my appointments have been stretched to 4-6 weeks apart. It's been a very long road. I've come to accept that I will never be 100% again. I'm struggling with getting in to a regular exercise routine. I know I need to go back slow and easy. I have returned occasionally to my circuit training group but each time I irritate my neck injury. I have gone for walks, working up to 5km. So far no running, not even interval running. I've gained some weight, but mostly lost muscle tone and strength. I would really love to hear from others who have suffered injuries and successfully returned to, or perhaps you've found an exercise program that worked better for you post-injury. In need of some inspiration.

I tore my meniscus in my knee last year. Could hardly walk on it at all. Had surgery last Feb. Did some PT, but couldn't afford to finish it. Tried to "walk it off" but I worried that I would ruin all the hard work my doctor put into my knee. I knew I had to find something to make my knee stronger without all the stress from walking on it. and then I found this on Youtube.

Launchpad: Low-Impact Workouts for Obesity and Limited Mobility

Sit down exercises for those who can't stand up all the time with dizziness and balance issues like you have. They're low impact, they work on getting you stronger so you can stand up more. It's not much, but it's been helping me. I hope I helped. Good Luck.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Look into DDP Yoga. It is not traditional yoga. It can be easily modified based on whatever your limitations might be. I was a gym rat for years and now I use DDP Yoga as my strength training. It is also a pretty great cardio work out. Even after lifting heavy, I have noticed more gains in strength with this yoga than I ever did in the gym. I also know several people that have used DDP Yoga after very serious injuries (including a car accident) to recover from chronic pain. You may have seen this video:

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Good luck.
  • dreamchaser12
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate all your suggestions.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both my hips (I'm 40). I can barely stand some mornings. I ride my horse as often as I can. I think the stronger your body is, the better you feel, regardless of injury and pain.
  • dreamchaser12
    Options
    Look into DDP Yoga. It is not traditional yoga. It can be easily modified based on whatever your limitations might be. I was a gym rat for years and now I use DDP Yoga as my strength training. It is also a pretty great cardio work out. Even after lifting heavy, I have noticed more gains in strength with this yoga than I ever did in the gym. I also know several people that have used DDP Yoga after very serious injuries (including a car accident) to recover from chronic pain. You may have seen this video:

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

Good luck.

Watched the video... AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I fractured my T-7 vertebrae when I was 14, and have permanent ligament damage. During the birth of my 3rd kid I fractured my hip and now have permanent SI joint dysfunction. After several doctors, pain management doctors, orthopedic surgeons, countless procedures, injections, nerve stimulator implant trial, and 3 physical therapists, (and a medicine cabinet stocked full of powerful narcotics) I am now managing my pain with lifting. Yes lifting. My 3 rd physical therapist took a different approach, thankfully, and got me moving. To my surprise it also helped with my t-7 damage.

It was painful at first, and sloooooow. I started with assisted body weight squats (my walking cane) and I really needed the pain killers. Now I am narcotic free and squatting 180 lbs. I will never be 100%, but it does help manage my pain.

Of course everybody and every injury is different. Maybe a change in doctors would be beneficial for you?
  • dreamchaser12
    Options
    I fractured my T-7 vertebrae when I was 14, and have permanent ligament damage. During the birth of my 3rd kid I fractured my hip and now have permanent SI joint dysfunction. After several doctors, pain management doctors, orthopedic surgeons, countless procedures, injections, nerve stimulator implant trial, and 3 physical therapists, (and a medicine cabinet stocked full of powerful narcotics) I am now managing my pain with lifting. Yes lifting. My 3 rd physical therapist took a different approach, thankfully, and got me moving. To my surprise it also helped with my t-7 damage.

It was painful at first, and sloooooow. I started with assisted body weight squats (my walking cane) and I really needed the pain killers. Now I am narcotic free and squatting 180 lbs. I will never be 100%, but it does help manage my pain.

Of course everybody and every injury is different. Maybe a change in doctors would be beneficial for you?

That's amazing! I am so glad to hear you have found something that has helped you so much! Thank you for sharing what has helped you.
  • 75dsk
    75dsk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great and helpful thread. dreamchaser12 how are you doing now? I was in an accident last August my weight is up 50lbs!! I am not 100% but I am finally not in pain everyday. lifting and sleeping in an odd position will still aggravate my injury. It's time to get moving and reclaim my health. Thanks again for this thread and encouraging suggestions.