Monogamy is Fattening

Options
Hello all,

I've had the mfp app for about a month or so and it's been greatly beneficial but I need some friendly support.

I've always struggled with weight, eating disorders, fat-shaming and negative body image. I'm constantly up and down, weight-wise, but I have a lot of triggers that ultimately cause me to sabotage myself. I want to do this for me, for my health, for my body, and (finally) not because anyone wants me to.

I have a great partner who supports me the best he can, but who can also be a hindrance in my weight-loss goals. Since we've been together I haven't necessarily let myself go, but I certainly wasn't being careful, and now I'm the heaviest I've ever been. My partner loves me no matter my size, but I'm to the point where I'm unable to keep up with the lifestyle I once had, at my least-chubbiest.

Be my friend?

Replies

• BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sure, Feel free to add me.
    Life is full of complications. I gained ten pounds when my sister died and with my new boyfriend - he hates working out - so I am left to do it alone too.
    don't worry...........find what you love, schedule it in and go do it :)
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with this. I was married for a very long time and was in terrible shape. Now that I am out of that relationship and back on the market I find myself trying much harder to keep myself in shape. I find myself walking away from situations that are potentially detrimental to my dieting success though.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Monogamy didnt cause your weight gain, your own complacency did.

Ive been married for 12 years, together for 17. Ive been up and down in weight, and the blame rests squarely on my shoulders, nobody elses .
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! It can be tough to work out alone, but it can be done! And I'm glad you realized what's going on too - that's half the battle :)
  • Word! I've gained 50 lbs since I started dating my boyfriend 6 years ago. Have spent the last few months battling myself and the extra lbs. I sent you a request! Best wishes in your journey and if you ever need someone to talk to, my inbox is open. :]
  • Thanks everyone. Obviously I know that my relationship isn't really what cause my weight gain - I'm just trying to be lighthearted. :)
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gained about 3 stone in my first real relationship due to laziness and thinking "oh I don't need to impress anyone" and it just made me miserable and insecure that my boyfriend was going to leave me.
    We then broke up due to reason totally unrelated to weight and because I couldn't afford to eat the weight dropped off me and I met my current boyfriend when I was about 168lbs and he didn't care about my weight and I lost some more weight but maintained at about 161 for a year until this summer where I've decided I don't want to maintain, I wanna lose weight and I don't want to become complacent like I did last time!
    But it is very easy to gain weight in a relationship!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Feel free to add me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be off topic but I like your haircut. It suits you and is pretty.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Everyone always tells me I'm oversharing when I say this. But, monogamy is not fattening for me. My sex life is an art form for me.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Ditto.
    Are we MFP friends yet?
    Everyone always tells me I'm oversharing when I say this. But, monogamy is not fattening for me. My sex life is an art form for me.
  • Thanks everyone. Obviously I know that my relationship isn't really what cause my weight gain - I'm just trying to be lighthearted. :)

Humor is definitely necessary to get through the tough times, imo. :]
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Obviously I know that my relationship isn't really what cause my weight gain - I'm just trying to be lighthearted. :)

My apologies, but its not uncommon for people to blame their spouse for their weight loss. Sorry if I jumoed the gun.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Monogamy didnt cause your weight gain, your own complacency did.

Ive been married for 12 years, together for 17. Ive been up and down in weight, and the blame rests squarely on my shoulders, nobody elses .

I totally agree. I've been married to the love of my life for 27 yrs this month.

My weight gain is my fault, not taking care of myself like I should with my medications ect. My husband is a BIG supporter in all I tried to do. He actually got me to do this. He'd been on here longer than I have, and wanted me to do this with him. In turn, he does the sit down workouts with me (had knee surgery several months ago). It's a give and take relationship, but we own up to our own faults.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I say its the best burn one can have.