Budget friendly, simple recipes

Options
I'm a full time student and I am on a serious budget...as in, if I buy chicken once a month it's a treat. I've gotten very good at getting my protein in other ways (lentils, cheese, beans, etc) but I'm not gonna lie, I am super sick of eating the same things over and over. Unfortunately I really dislike tofu, so that's not really an option unless I can hide the taste/texture. What vegetarian recipe resources do you guys use that don't have overly complicated steps. Thanks guys, this will be a huge help!

Edit: I should add that I live in South Africa, so unfortunately there isn't really a place to buy things in bulk, and salmon (which was our go-to meal in the US) is incredibly expensive.

Replies

• Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    Egg dishes and tuna dishes. Frittatas are cheap and easy, use a few eggs and some liquid egg whites to cut calories. They are really good for using potato and vegetable leftovers. I you like cuminy, Middle-Eastern flavors, Shaksuka is great. Or, for same idea but milder spices, it's called Eggs in Purgatory.

Skinnytaste has an okay tuna noodle casserole recipe. It doesn't knock my socks off but it's tasty and cheap. Spinach isn't a complete protein, but it's got quite a bit for a vegetable. I highly recommend Sinnytaste's Eggplant Rollatini, but I add silken tofu to up the protein. Can't taste it at all, it just adds creaminess. Between the tofu, the spinach, and a little cheese, it's one of my favorites.

Around here, you can get a bag of frozen, raw shrimp for about $10 when it's on sale, and it frequently is. I use them in a stir fry and the vegetables stretch the shrimp. But I'm Pescatarian for most of the year, so I'm willing to splurge every once in a while.

Is your issue with tofu taste, texture, or just the idea of it? If you can taste it even when it's in a sauce, then not much can be done. Most people can't, it takes on the taste of the sauce. If it's texture, tell us what you don't like and there is probably a preparation method that might solve the issue. If, like my husband, it's theoretical, do what he does and ask the chef to lie to you.:tongue:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This tastes a lot like eggroll filling so if you like eggrolls you'll most likely enjoy it.
    Shredded cabbage - I use about half a head to make 4 servings.
    Shredded carrots - 1 cup
    Chopped onions - 1/2 cup - 1 cup depending on your own tastes
    Pea pods - if not available you can skip it or use frozen peas (as much or as little as you want)
    Ground meat - pork, beef, chicken, turkey
    Garlic powder - to taste
    Chili powder - to taste

*Shrimp can be used in place of ground meat but if using cooked shrimp, toss into pan at the very end just to heat it through.

I toss the cabbage and carrots into a large skillet then chop my onion and add that, toss in the ground meat now and when the ground meat is about half cooked toss in the peas, sprinkle seasonings in and give it all a good stir. Once the meat is completely cooked I add a little fruit flavored balsamic vinegar but if you don't have that orange juice will work very well.

You get a lot of food from this recipe and it goes with rice very well. You could due a variation of rice by adding more veggies and frying a scrambled egg into the rice for a faux fried rice feel.
  • africanmasq
    Options
    @Turning_Hopes thanks, I will definitely take a look at Skinnytaste! And I actually totally forgot about frittatas so thank you...I do eat eggs quite often but it will be nice to make a variation once in a while. As for tofu...I think it's the texture I don't like. The taste doesn't bother me at all really, but something about the texture makes it next to impossible for me to down :P I guess I can try and hide it in a dish. Thanks for your suggestions!

@dawn that sounds really delicious, thanks for sharing your recipe! I love every single ingredient in there so I'm sure I'll love it...plus it's very budget friendly.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Have you ever frozen Tofu, and defrosted it? The texture completely changes, and you can add whatever you want to it, it is just like ground beef. It fools my family, in tacos and enchiladas, sloppy joes.

Go to Vegetarian Times, they have a lot of vegetarian menu choices, which are quite inexpensive, if you use seasonal veggies, which right now, is squash, corn, potatoes, and apples. Enjoy the harvest season.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Have you ever frozen Tofu, and defrosted it? The texture completely changes, and you can add whatever you want to it, it is just like ground beef. It fools my family, in tacos and enchiladas, sloppy joes.

Go to Vegetarian Times, they have a lot of vegetarian menu choices, which are quite inexpensive, if you use seasonal veggies, which right now, is squash, corn, potatoes, and apples. Enjoy the harvest season.

what is the best type of tofu to buy for this, and things like stir fries, tacos etc?? I am keen to try this,!!
    Options

what is the best type of tofu to buy for this, and things like stir fries, tacos etc?? I am keen to try this,!!

They say extra firm, but I usually do firm. I freeze it for a few hours (well, really, I cut it in half when I get it home from the store, then freeze the portions until I want to use it, but you can just pop it in the freezer three hours before you want to use it). Take it out of the freezer and straight into boiling water. Let it simmer (so, very low boil is what I do) for about 10, then take it out. From here, some people say marinate, others say it doesn't matter. I usually don't bother. Cut the tofu up at this point. Then some people sauté it, others bake. The sauté needs very little oil, but it's still more caloric than baking. Baking is a little trickier because there's a correlation between how hot the oven is, how long you leave it in, and how thick/dense your cut-up tofu is. When I get it right, it's better baked. When I get it wrong, it's not quite as good as sautéed, so for you I'd advise spending the teaspoon of oil calories and sautéing to see if you like the flavor. Then, of course, you put it in sauce with a bunch of other stuff.

I got 90% of the idea from a website of a home cook trying to get her husband to like tofu. Google Ultra Crispy Unfried Tofu. You'll see it's a little different than what I've described, so just decide which way you want to go and give it a shot. Good luck!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A good site I use often is www.budgetbytes.com
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Buy the firm or extra firm.

Leave the package intact (as is).

Put package in the freezer over night.

The next morning move package to refrigerator so it can defrost.

The tofu's texture has changed:
    http://triedinblue.blogspot.com/2012/05/tofu-tuesday-say-goodbye-to-soggy.html
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Eggs - one or two (or more depending on your budget and macro needs and views on dietary cholesterol) either poached, soft-boiled, or fried sunny-side-up or over-easy makes a great budget-wise protein-boosting topping for all kinds of foods, with the runny yolk making a sauce for veggies (especially greens), beans (yesterday I topped chickpeas with an egg, ground cumin, and a little olive oil and sherry vinegar for a dish that seemed rather like something I might get in a tapas bar), salads (especially wilted green salads), grains, pastas (think of it as an easy version of alfredo or carbonara sauce, if you add a little cheese, bacon, or other smoked flavor)...

Yogurt, especially greek yogurt, is another relatively inexpensive way to add protein to all kinds of things -- I use it like sour cream or creme fraiche on soups, chilis, curries, baked (jacket) potatoes, fresh fruit....

On tofu, another way to firm it up so the texture might be more to your liking is to press the liquid out (wrap it in cheesecloth or a clean dish towel, place in colander in a bowl, put something heavy but stable on top -- you can fill an empty jar that has a tight-fitting lid with water and put in on a small plate over the tofu, if nothing else in your kitchen will serve). After that, grilling or baking it might improve its texture for you as well. Recently I had some tofu treated this way, topped with a couple of fried eggs, and some spicy tomato sauce - Fra Diavolo style - for dinner -- mmmmm.)
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if lentils are put completely, or if you're just sick of certain preparations, but if it's the latter, lentil tacos are fantastic! Spice it right and you can hardly tell it's lentils in there. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos-2/

ETA: if quinoa is easy to find and not too expensive, I love baked eggs (eggs, baked in tomato sauce and sprinkled with cheese) with quinoa on the bottom. If I'm feeling fancy, I throw some bacon crumbles in.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thank you RodaRose !much appreciated
  • GetFitNicky
    GetFitNicky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Simple Cuban black beans over rice, brown rice too. Sprinkle chopped raw onion and avocado (if in season and not too pricey) on top. Delicious.
  • africanmasq
    Options
    (Sorry for the gigantic post but I didn't want to miss anyone)

Ah I didn't think about that, thanks! I will definitely try it. I would be super happy if I could find a way to eat tofu, since it's pretty affordable.
    I got 90% of the idea from a website of a home cook trying to get her husband to like tofu. Google Ultra Crispy Unfried Tofu. You'll see it's a little different than what I've described, so just decide which way you want to go and give it a shot. Good luck!

I love the ideas you posted, thanks!
    A good site I use often is www.budgetbytes.com

Sweet, I'll check that out.
    On tofu, another way to firm it up so the texture might be more to your liking is to press the liquid out (wrap it in cheesecloth or a clean dish towel, place in colander in a bowl, put something heavy but stable on top -- you can fill an empty jar that has a tight-fitting lid with water and put in on a small plate over the tofu, if nothing else in your kitchen will serve). After that, grilling or baking it might improve its texture for you as well. Recently I had some tofu treated this way, topped with a couple of fried eggs, and some spicy tomato sauce - Fra Diavolo style - for dinner -- mmmmm.)

I do eat eggs and yogurt quite often, although I had to cut down on the yogurt because I love it so much. Thanks for the tip about tofu, that's very useful.
    I'm not sure if lentils are put completely, or if you're just sick of certain preparations, but if it's the latter, lentil tacos are fantastic! Spice it right and you can hardly tell it's lentils in there. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos-2/

ETA: if quinoa is easy to find and not too expensive, I love baked eggs (eggs, baked in tomato sauce and sprinkled with cheese) with quinoa on the bottom. If I'm feeling fancy, I throw some bacon crumbles in.

Ah thanks for that idea! I love lentils, I just got stuck in a rut with how to eat them lol. I'll definitely try the tacos, that sounds fantastic.
    Simple Cuban black beans over rice, brown rice too. Sprinkle chopped raw onion and avocado (if in season and not too pricey) on top. Delicious.

That does sound really good...I don't think we get those beans here but I guess any beans will work well. And I love avo. Thanks!
    Options
    Speaking of beans, it's hard to beat falafel and hummus, and both are cheap, cheap, cheap. A bag of dried chickpeas (which are pretty high protein), an onion, some tahini (but if you need to, you can substitute out almond butter or even peanut butter), and some spices, which you can modify to taste. They do require a food processor to not be a pain in the backside, but they are very easy with one. Fast and easy and delicious and cheap. Some people bake them and swear they're delicious. I keep meaning to try that, but since I always have the calories to spend, I have always kept it traditional and just fried them and assumed I was adding a teaspoon of oil to each one by doing that. (By the way, if anyone, anywhere knows of a good estimate for how much oil to calculate you've used for fried food, I'd love it. I know a lot depends on the temperature of the oil, which is one reason I get so confused when trying to figure it out and end up just hoping I'm overestimating by assuming a teaspoon. Totally off topic, sorry...)

You can put them in pita bread or just have plain or have over salad or rice or whatever.

And as expensive as Hummus is at the store, you can make it for next to nothing. If you've got a crockpot it's light on the labor and prep time (not soaking and cooking time, but actual in-the-kitchen work time). Soak beans over night, cook them in the slow cooker or in a very low oven or on top of the stove, whatever, just cook them low and slow. You probably don't have an immersion blender being young and in college and I assume tight on space, but it's only a little more time to let them cool and then put the in a blender or food processor with lemon, tahini (again, substitute if you want to), garlic. Just put the tahini in first with the lemon and let it whip up for about a minute until the color is quite a bit lighter and it gets fluffy, then add the chickpeas. See the link below, this is a great recipe.
    http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

Finally, a piece of advise about oil. Olive oil is best for you and I use it for most things, but it's not like Canola oil is so very much worse for you than olive oil. In many countries (where most people are just culturally healthy), they prefer an oil without such a strong flavor for everything or for everything but dressing salads. Olive oil is exorbitant, and when I'm watching my pennies I substitute out canola oil for everything but salads and no one even misses it. Of course, if you're watching your weight you don't want to go crazy on the oil anyway, but a little applied judiciously is good for you.
    Options
    Goodness! Okay, that was very verbose of me. Sorry for the novel. :embarassed:
  • africanmasq
    Options
    Haha no worries, that's all super helpful, thank you! Luckily for me I have a lot of Jewish friends who make amazing hummus, so getting hold of it is not a problem ;) And thanks for that recipe! I have a cheap blender (well...relatively lol) so I'm sure if I soak them properly it will do a good job. And I do love hummus. A lot.

Also, with the oil, I don't actually use a ton of oil as it is, so olive oil is one of the things I'm willing to spend more on. And my mom usually gives me some of hers when she buys a huge bottle, so that works out well :tongue: Thanks so much for all your advice!
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump for great recipe ideas. Thanks!
  • Minouche1922
    Minouche1922 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to make her eat tofu - she dislikes it intensely!
    Options
    OP said "unless I can hide the taste/texture," so people offered up suggestions on how to do that.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can also bake tofu to a light crispy brown outside and then use it in stir fry or whatever. I use the extra firm kind, drained. Cut it into cubes and placed in a oil misted baking pan. I use my large toaster oven. Roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, drain and turn over cubes so the other side browns. Bake another 10- 15 minutes until it's as brown and crispy as you like. Any sauce with this is good.