Exercise gives me bad headaches and fatigue

Options
2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Please give me an internet diagnosis but I'm going to ignore you when I do? Yep. MFP.

I'm going to throw out a wild suggestion here and tell you to see your doctor.

Ignoring is different to politely suggesting that their advice might not be correct for me

No you don't like the answers you are getting, so good luck in whatever you are trying to do. :flowerforyou:
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    Please give me an internet diagnosis but I'm going to ignore you when I do? Yep. MFP.

Ignoring is different to politely suggesting that their advice might not be correct for me

No you don't like the answers you are getting, so good luck in whatever you are trying to do. :flowerforyou:

Yeah I'm really enjoying the snarky assumptions being made about me right now.
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My doctor ran a bunch of tests, did blood work etc, and she couldn't figure out what was causing it either. Her suggestion was for me to try eating more nutrient dense foods and cut back on inflammatory foods, which she didn't extrapolate on so I had to do internet research and that kinda led me down a rabbit hole.

OP, you're not alone, but my experience may not be the same as yours, so seeing a doctor to rule out any possible health concerns sounds like good advice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I also used a TDEE calculator and it gave me a result of 1777.

that can't be counting your exercise though..
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    I also used a TDEE calculator and it gave me a result of 1777.

that can't be counting your exercise though..

It was. Exercise 3x per week. BMR came out around 1250.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    But the point of my question is that I only experience the headaches and stuff if I workout early in the day. When I exercise in the evening I feel great! I was just wondering why the time of day could affect me so much, is all :/

Is it possible that you're going to bed before the tiredness and headaches hit you when you work out in the evening?
    So you work out between 7 and 9 then go to bed around 10 or 11 pm...then you don't feel crappy because you're in bed already.

It's also possible that if you aren't going to bed within the normal time frame of when you feel crappy after a workout that you're just not trying to be as active in the later hours of the evening (watching tv or something would be less taxing than if you were trying to work).

Honestly I would agree to try to eat a bit more and particularly maybe some protein after your workout.

I also agree with the water recommendations...yes you will have to pee a lot BUT if you drink a ton of water throughout the day, and do it for like 2 weeks, your bladder gets used to it and you have to pee less (not scientific but it works for me).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping there was someone out there who might know what causes that reaction. I had the exact same problem a couple years ago, I was biking 20 miles a day 3 times a week and I would get headaches and just be run down and dizzy feeling. Everyone suggested I drink more water, so I did, everyone said more protein, so I ate more protein, then they suggested carbs. Anyways I just wanted to chime in, I'm a big girl and I wasn't eating in a deficit at that time, so maybe it's a vitamin deficiency?

I never did figure it out and instead I just stopped biking. :/

Your case is a bit different from the OP (who really has a clear answer). Usually, exercise-induced headaches have three causes: dehydration, salt imbalance, and sugar imbalance. Since you already tried water and carbs, it might be electrolytes and salt. Were you by chance trying a low-sodium diet?

Also, being low in magnesium can sometimes lead to headaches.

Though, if your headaches were accompanied by nausea, double vision, or fainting, you should see a doctor.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

If it's not hydration or calories, then aside from the possibility that you're cutting back on caffeine, cigarettes or sodium, then it's very likely something you need to speak to your doctor about. I'm leaning towards too few calories myself, but meh.
  • EmiLouize
    Options

If it's not hydration or calories, then aside from the possibility that you're cutting back on caffeine, cigarettes or sodium, then it's very likely something you need to speak to your doctor about. I'm leaning towards too few calories myself, but meh.

That's fair enough. I did listen to you and calculated my TDEE as I was instructed to do. I just thought in the meantime I'd share how I thought 1200 calories was doing for me so far :(
  • EmiLouize
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I really can't drink much water though, it really is a problem for me, even with the amount of fluids I'm drinking now I still have to go to the bathroom at least once an hour. But thank you anyway I haven't just ignored your comments and of course I'll take them into account
  • lmaoitskatie
    lmaoitskatie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have vitamin D deficiency and take 50,000 international units once a week. If you are being treated for it, you should not be continuing to have fatigue.

When i was in bootcamp, they always told us "hydrate not for today but for tomorrow." If you are getting fatigued and have a HA, then its most likely you didn't hydrate the day before. Make sure to drink plenty of water the day before a workout.

Its never a bad idea to schedule a visit with your doctor. They have the ability to rule out some symptoms and get some blood work on you.
    This is from a Nurse perspective. Hope this helps :)!
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping there was someone out there who might know what causes that reaction. I had the exact same problem a couple years ago, I was biking 20 miles a day 3 times a week and I would get headaches and just be run down and dizzy feeling. Everyone suggested I drink more water, so I did, everyone said more protein, so I ate more protein, then they suggested carbs. Anyways I just wanted to chime in, I'm a big girl and I wasn't eating in a deficit at that time, so maybe it's a vitamin deficiency?

I never did figure it out and instead I just stopped biking. :/

Your case is a bit different from the OP (who really has a clear answer). Usually, exercise-induced headaches have three causes: dehydration, salt imbalance, and sugar imbalance. Since you already tried water and carbs, it might be electrolytes and salt. Were you by chance trying a low-sodium diet?

Also, being low in magnesium can sometimes lead to headaches.

Though, if your headaches were accompanied by nausea, double vision, or fainting, you should see a doctor.

I hadn't heard about the sodium or magnesium being an issue. I was actually on a low sodium diet by proxy because at that time I was living with my father who was in the last stages of liver failure. I will have to do more research to see what an appropriate balance looks like for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to go into that much detail. <3
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So to sum up OP you've been told to drink more water. You wont do that. (Not can't, you're choosing not to)

You've been told to eat more, as your body is giving you signs it doesn't have enough nutrients. You won't do that.

Why are you asking questions when you flat out refuse to listen to anyone? What are you wanting from this topic?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ... quite simply you are not netting enough calories. Ignore the truth all you want, that doesn't change reality. By your own admission you are consuming only 1200 calories per day, exercising multiple times per week, and a TDEE calculator told you to consume over 500 calories more per day. The answers are clear.
  • MaryACoffey
    Options
    it is difficult to adjust your internal clock. I am great early in the morning and dead by 9pm. Consult your doctor if he thinks you are eating enough calories and your fluid intake and exercise routine are all good - maybe your just a night person. My daughter complaints of dizziness & nausea when she exerts herself early in the day so she tends to go to the gym directly from work (around 6pm) You could try slowly moving up the time is that's possible.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    So to sum up OP you've been told to drink more water. You wont do that. (Not can't, you're choosing not to)

You've been told to eat more, as your body is giving you signs it doesn't have enough nutrients. You won't do that.

Why are you asking questions when you flat out refuse to listen to anyone? What are you wanting from this topic?

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just thinking of exercising on so little food gives me a headache.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Something to help you think about BMR, consider it a baseline, that you should really try to stay over. That's the bare minimum you need fuel wise on the daily to keep your body running.

From the sounds of it, you don't have enough fuel in your system to work out in the morning when you've only fed once, or may be in a fasted state. Later in the day you have more available feeding after a couple feedings, and there is more fuel that has been digested.

Essentially, we're a big engine, no fuel, no fire.

Water is a huge need. I can put down two liters in a decent workout. You need it. It's up to you though, being dehydrated will cause immediate headaches and fatigue though, as an FYI. It's a common signal from the body to tell you something is off.

Finally, when most people work out, they sweat. When they sweat they lose certain salts and minerals in their sweat. When someone eats less they have a smaller amount of these salts and minerals they can lose before they are adversely impacted. Electrolytic drinks are important for combatting that. I'm a heavy sweater, and I have problems with my magnesium levels, so when I work out, I always have an electrolytic drink. Keeps my migraines away. Being low on salts will produce immediate headaches and fatigue.

Now, if NONE of that is the cause. There's probably a heart related issue. In my opinion.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    to answer your question about why morning...

if you are eating a very small amount, after fasting all night, and drinking a half liter of water after not drinking water all night, that is probaby why.

if i do work out in the mornings like i have to on saturdays, i make sure i have a substantial breakfast, like an egg sandwich or something like that that will stick. and i drink 16 oz of water when i get up.

i hate working out in the morning though. i avoid it when i can.
  • creamvespa
    Options

Yeah I'm really enjoying the snarky assumptions being made about me right now.

Your headache + fatigue is probably from low electrolyte (sodium, magnesium, potassium). Try adding some trace mineral drops (available at health food stores, e.g. Whole Foods) in your drinking water. You are experiencing more of these symptoms during earlier part of the day is probably because your body is metabolizing majority of your fuel from ketones, a metabolic state called ketosis. After overnight fasting, your body is low in carbohydrate / glucose, you may be experiencing mild ketosis, using ketone as major source of fuel. You can do more research on this condition so called "Keto-Flu". Good luck!