So frustrated, please help

Options
Hi,
I havent been here in a while... I am very frustrated.
In the past two years i have given up processed foods, fast foods, unhealthy stuff, even my diet sodas. I drink a lot of water every day, good amounts of proteins and vegetables. Rarely eat pasta. Eat some carbs.
I am a teacher on my feet most of the day
I have been on topomax and effexor for many years but working on getting off both, because i dont want to take meds anymore.
After work i exercise about 45-60 minutes. I mostly swim laps, but also do zumba, tae bo, weights, and shaun t.
In the past year i have GAINED 25 pounds!!
Even my trainer at the gym cant figure out why i am gaining, not losing.
Granted, a good deal of it is muscle- my arms and legs have gotten very strong.
However, my weigt is higher than its ever been, even clothes i bought in the spring dont fit anymore.
I USEd to weigh around 115 and for many years that was my normal weight.
I now weigh 142 and my weight will NOt go down!!
I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day.
Been to the doctor, thyroid is normal. Now getting tested for more stuff.
But i am BEYOND frustrated. What the heck is WRONg with me?
I feel like a huge fat failure. I am only 5'4" and 41 years old, and i have GOT to lose some weight. I do everything right, so what am i doing wrng?

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're definitely making a healthier change. As for gaining weight with checks from the doctor in mind, you'll need to reassess your diet. Are you tracking your food on My Fitness Pal? If so, are you weighing it? Would you be willing to open your diary?
  • Spider_Bee
    Options
    I believe your eating to little of calories....your body might be in starvation mode ...Male or female id u only weighe 115 at 5'4 you should be eating about the average recommended 2000 cal. unless told by a doctor otherwise..... Best thing i can tell you Is contact a doctor...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking those calories you're eating? Are you logging everything you put in your mouth? (your diary is empty) Are you using a scale to accurately weigh your food? If you eat back exercise calories are you tracking those correctly? Usually if you get your food diary in order the weight loss will follow.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see where that would be frustrating. First thing that comes to mind is as spider_bee said you might be eating too little calories. I, however, would recommend between 1600-1800 calories a day depending on how much you exercise during the day. Since you are eating up to 1500 right now I'd try bumping it up to 1600-1700 to start and see how your body works with that. Also make sure you are eating at the right macro ratios. The fat shredder plan is best and that is 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. That should help you shred the pounds off. One last thing, if you have been doing the same routine for a while it might be time to switch it up and try something different. Your body might be getting used to the same routine over and over and you might not be burning as many calories as you'd like. I hope this helps!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I believe your eating to little of calories....your body might be in starvation mode ...Male or female id u only weighe 115 at 5'4 you should be eating about the average recommended 2000 cal. unless told by a doctor otherwise..... Best thing i can tell you Is contact a doctor...

Starvation mode, in this sense, is a myth. She is not in starvation mode, I assure you. And you do not have enough information to claim any such thing.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food with a scale.
  • NataBost
    Options
    ETA: ^^This

Take a few weeks to log properly. You should also check out a few of the 'stickied' posts, such as:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...because Sexypants.
  • smuggle
    smuggle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at one weight for a while. I stopped eating all processed foods, all wheat products and sugar. I eat almost no grains at this point except for oats and occasional bowl of rice or popcorn. The weight has been falling off. I stick to fruits, veggies, cheese and yogurt, seeds and nuts, lean grass feed meats and eggs.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are not currently weighing your food with a scale, it would be a good idea to start. Sometimes, without a food scale people can underestimate how many calories we're eating... and depending on the food, that can mean a ton of extra calories that are unaccounted for.

And I just checked your diary. You logged today, but haven't logged any other day for at least the last two weeks (didn't check past that). You're not accurately tracking calories. Start logging honestly, and then you'll start to see results... IF you're honest with yourself.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You need to start weighing and measuring everything you eat before anything else.
    The most common reason for no weight loss is that you believe you eat less than you actually do.

Start logging every day, everything and you will better see where the problem is.
  • michellepointer1972
    Options
    If anything, i am OVERESTIMATING how much food i am eating,,actually.
    I have been for months, on my fitbit, but recently gave my fitbit to my sister.
    I am actually wuote accurate, and Being honest with myself.

And being anorexic years ago, i do not want to get back into weighing and measuring everything i eat. It would become an obsession too quickly.

I have been to the dr several times, and just went back again today.

Thanks anyway.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You only have one day logged. Unfortunately, if you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. Without weighing, there is no way to be sure of your estimates.
  • michellepointer1972
    Options
    Oh my gosh, nevermind, thanks.people are not getting what i am saying, i guess i am not being clear enough.. Thanks anyway.
  • ecaepeace
    Options
    I would wait to see how things go after being off the meds for a while. Also, I know many people find success with a keto diet. Other people also do intermittent fasting. Also to consider is what are your stress levels? How restful is your sleep and how much? Good luck!
  • NataBost
    Options
    Oh my gosh, nevermind, thanks.people are not getting what i am saying, i guess i am not being clear enough.. Thanks anyway.

Can you give us the gist in one sentence?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Either the meds you are taking are starting to affect your weight. Or you're not burning as many calories as you think and you're eating more than you think.
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If anything, i am OVERESTIMATING how much food i am eating,,actually.
    I have been for months, on my fitbit, but recently gave my fitbit to my sister.
    I am actually wuote accurate, and Being honest with myself.

And being anorexic years ago, i do not want to get back into weighing and measuring everything i eat. It would become an obsession too quickly.

I have been to the dr several times, and just went back again today.

Thanks anyway.

The people that respond on this website tend to know what they are talking about. They have seen a dozen posts with people wondering why they aren't losing, and it's usually issues with how they are measuring their food and the numbers they are getting.

There was no ill will in their suggestion, but simply the logical one.

If you are unable to measure/weigh food, then it is REALLY difficult to keep up with how many calories you are actually getting. That is fact. I respect, though, why doing those things would be detrimental for you.

Since you have had eating disorders in the past, perhaps, something is up with your metabolism.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Believe me, we get exactly what your saying. People post threads like this very often.
    You stated that you aren't weighing and measuring because of past eating disorder issues. And that's fine. But if your not weighing or measuring, you can't know for sure if your really eating at a deficit.
    I would personally wait until your further test results come in and see what the doctor says. But if its not a medical issue or related to your medicine, then I'd guess that your not eating as little as you think you are.