Veganism

Options
Is anyone in here vegan? Did going vegan help with your weight loss?

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Is anyone in here vegan? Did going vegan help with your weight loss?

I'm not a vegan, maybe a bit of a wannabe vegan.... But, I can tell you that it's not what you eat, it's how much. Going vegan just for the sake of losing weight, isn't a good idea. There are lots of overweight vegans. You can be a junkfood vegan, too.

Oreos are vegan. Although their UK website doesn't quite agree.

Oreo is not suitable for Vegans as they have the cross contact of Milk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan tho...but when I first went veggie I did drop some weight. It can be easier, but you still have to eat less than you burn.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I recently turned vegan. Best decision I've ever made!

You may have already read this but if you haven't then i definitely recommend!

http://ge.tt/5DD9S2h/v/0
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I recently turned vegan. Best decision I've ever made!

You may have already read this but if you haven't then i definitely recommend!

http://ge.tt/5DD9S2h/v/0
    lol funny book
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ever see an overweight Vegetarian or Vegan? ...... Yeap,......... so there's your answer.... It's not 'so much' what you eat but How Much!!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    If you're going vegan for weight loss, I think you've got the wrong mindset. Calories in vs out will ALWAYS apply. Whether you're a carnivore, herbivore, omnivore....

If you're doing it for moral or medical reasons, go for it. If you're doing it under the assumption that it's some magical weight loss method, think again.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're going vegan for weight loss, I think you've got the wrong mindset. Calories in vs out will ALWAYS apply. Whether you're a carnivore, herbivore, omnivore....

If you're doing it for moral or medical reasons, go for it. If you're doing it under the assumption that it's some magical weight loss method, think again.

^Yeah, that.

I've been a vegetarian for 5 years. I gained weight as a vegetarian (about 20 pounds), and I lost weight as a vegetarian. Becoming a vegetarian has been a great personal choice for me, but as far as weight loss goes, it's irrelevant.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Remember that being vegan isn't just about what you eat. It's a whole lifestyle that revolves around the principle of not participating in any sort of (assumed) cruelty to animals. It isn't just about what you eat.

Also, if you're new to eating that way, you must do your research. It's hard to get enough protein if you don't know what you're doing, so look into that.

If you tell the Vegans that your changing to vegan to lose weight, the comment may not be well received. Just a heads up there.

You could become a fat vegan, but you'd have to work fairly hard at it. I have yet to meet one. I'm sure they're out there! But most are average, thin or skinny.
  • Khankimba
    Khankimba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for ethical/compassionate reasons. Going vegan from vegetarian meant no more ice cream, butter, cheese, etc. Eliminating those things reduced my cravings and it's helping me reduce calories. It's no magic bullet though. Still gotta eat at a calorie deficit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Vegan diet =/= Weight loss

You're making it harder than it needs to be. You don't need to cut out any food to lose weight. Cutting anything out of your diet is simply a personal choice.
  • Khankimba
    Khankimba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Remember that being vegan isn't just about what you eat. It's a whole lifestyle that revolves around the principle of not participating in any sort of (assumed) cruelty to animals. It isn't just about what you eat.

Also, if you're new to eating that way, you must do your research. It's hard to get enough protein if you don't know what you're doing, so look into that.

If you tell the Vegans that your changing to vegan to lose weight, the comment may not be well received. Just a heads up there.

You could become a fat vegan, but you'd have to work fairly hard at it. I have yet to meet one. I'm sure they're out there! But most are average, thin or skinny.
    . Totally agree with this!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I was happily eating meat and losing weight with mfp two years ago, when I stopped eating virtually all animal products. ( my only transgressions were to occasionally eat a cookie made with earth balance and an egg instead of earth balance and a flax "egg"). I plateaued for about three months. It may be because I ate closer to maintenance in an effort to fit in more protein. Since then I have found strategies that work for me to keep my protein up on those days or weeks when I don't eat meat or dairy, but over all, for me at least, at first it made losing more difficult, and then it just didn't make any difference at all.

I find the key to losing weight is keep it simple! The only thing you need to lose is to eat under your TDEE. When you keep accurate records here, you learn your true numbers. It's really simple, and awesome:)
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I first went vegan I gained weight.

It's definitely about how much you're eating, not what!