No Weight Loss

BlueCurtain
BlueCurtain Posts: 2
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok - I've been watching calories for over 3 weeks. During this time I have been under my calorie goal every day, lifting weights for 90 minutes 5x a week and doing about 1/2 hr of cardio 3-4 days per week. I haven't lost a single pound as of this morning. What is going on? Am I gaining muscle, which is making up for the fat loss? Am I not doing enough cardio? My BMI is around 30-31, so there should be some fat loss opportunity. Any ideas?

Replies

• Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    you are gaining muscle from the weights. Also...for weight loss you need to up your cardio to 45-60 minutes 6 days a week for the best results.
  • HollyHask
    HollyHask Posts: 18 Member
    Same here! I have been on for 3 weeks, work out religiously and under calories. Possibly under calories is the culprit? I am beginning to second guess this myfitnesspal thing!
  • You definitely need to balance with some cardio. Ninety minutes of weights is a lot and so you are gaining muscle, which weighs more. You will eventually start the loss, but try hitting the treadmill or the elliptical as well so that you balance. The calories are fine, I think you can just tweak your exercise a bit. Perhaps, 20 minutes of weights and 30 or 40 or cardio three times a week and do your weights the other two days. And don't just slack on your off-days, take a walk or a bike ride, at least you are moving!
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    I would get your body fat measured, or you could pick up a nice scale that measures body fat to help understand what's going on. I weigh in every morning, and even though the weight can fluctuate a few pounds, the body fat % numbers are good to see. It won't be perfect, but it'll give you some idea of your body composition. I have a Tanita scale that measures weight, body fat %, and body water %.

For example, if I weigh in at 173 on Friday, then 175 on Saturday, but the body fat % stays around the same or gets lower, I'm content. It's not all about weight, it's about body composition, so make sure you're paying attention to all of those things.

You could also measure as a way to see progress, but you're lifting a lot, so I doubt the measurements will change all that much.
  • OK, I figured out my calories for the last two weeks. I average about 2129 per day. MFP has my daily goal at 2420, but with exercise it changes to an average of 2949 per day. As I look at it, I'm about 820 short each day after all my calories are calculated and exercise is added. Is this too short on calories? Where should I be?
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    I think that you probably are not eating enough. I wouldn't think that you would start seeing muscle gain to the point where it off-sets fat loss in just 3 weeks, more like 2-3 months for that. Your body will hang on to its stores if its not getting enough nutrition to perform all the exercise. If I were you I would eat all my calories in low fat highly nutritional food and up the cardio a bit. Good luck x x
This discussion has been closed.