Just started exercise

Options
Hey guys! I'm a 22 yr old woman who weighs 19 stone. I haven't been able to exercise for years due to health problems but I finally feel ready. I've been using the 30 day shred for 2 days now, which of course isn't a long time, but I can only manage 5 mins. I also hear my bones click and I'm not sure that is normal. Would it be better if I carry on and build up or if I find something a bit more gentle to start with? This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted some advice.

Replies

• carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If something is painful, stop. A good , but more gentle exercise to ease in is Pilates. Great for building core strength, and is low impact. Beachbody does have a new workout called Piyo that could work as well. I believe that workout is a little more fast paced than a traditional pilates or yoga class. Good luck! Once you get into the swing of things, exercise is addicting.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it hurts stop and try again in a month, how about swimming or a long walk for say 30mins instead, then when you feel this is getting easier try again on the 30DS
  • laton008
    Options
    Leslie sandstone walk off the pounds, walk slim, or just walk are pretty easy. I have a horrible right knee. I've been doing these dvds. They are great if you can only do 15 min it's ok. Do 20 next time. I started with 20 now I'm doing 40. One day at a time. My knee feels better as well. Remember for every 1 lb you loose its 4lbs off your knees (I read that some where....lol)...good luck
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what bones are clicking or what health problems you've had, but you might benefit a bit if you saw a chiropractor and got an adjustment.

Carolinaem was right about Pilates. I'm a huge fan. The workouts are gentle but effective and excellent for your posture. If you check Amazon there are lots of different Pilates DVD's and some of the workouts are as short as 20 minutes.
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    30DS is quite intensive and can be heavy on knees.
    I really struggled when I started and it didn't make me feel good so every time I gave up and felt like a failure.
    Try to ease yourself into exercise like walking or as others have mentioned swimming, low impact exercises are better off to start with and if you have access to a gym start lifting.
    Don't feel discouraged, you can do this!
  • kat_snowflake
    kat_snowflake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also check out Youtube for exercise videos.

I like the BeFit Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit) - they have a section with Yoga & Pilates videos so you could check different styles out before or instead of committing to purchasing a workout DVD.

I also like Jessica Smith's channel. She has a section of ballet/barre workout videos which I love (

If you local pool runs water fitness classes I'd def. check them out. Great fun and good for toning with resistance without too much impact on your joints.
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Leslie sandstone walk off the pounds, walk slim, or just walk are pretty easy. I have a horrible right knee. I've been doing these dvds. They are great if you can only do 15 min it's ok. Do 20 next time. I started with 20 now I'm doing 40. One day at a time. My knee feels better as well. Remember for every 1 lb you loose its 4lbs off your knees (I read that some where....lol)...good luck

I agree. Leslie Sansone's videos are a great place to start. I was pretty out of shape after I had my second child and I could not fathom doing the types of exercises I was doing prior to pregnancy so I started with her videos. I didn't hate them and it got me off the couch. It wasn't long before I graduated to much more strenuous exercise. I still use them when I really don't feel like exercising and I feel so much better afterward. Remember, "It's a marathon, not a sprint."
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Unsure the details of your health issues, however from my own experience, I have injured my lower back, torn ligaments and a slipped disc and I hear and feel grinding in my lower spin regularly, sometimes i can be sitting and turn my torso slightly and it will grind or 'click' I have started off very slowly again for a second time recently and walking was painful but i pushed through it and last night ran for the first time in a year since this injury occurred. Every case is different so see your doctor!! Walking is a great way to start, and start slow and short and work your way up. Alway always always stop if you feel pain, and listen to your body good luck :)
  • tinydeer
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the responses! Sorry it's taken me awhile to explain, I've lost my internet for 2 days.
    Thank you to carolinaem & tracyannk28 for recommending Pilates! I found some videos online that I tired today and it was still a great work out, but less stressful than 30ds, if that makes sense. I def. think I will use this in my workouts :)
    Marie047 & marthamagic92, I agree, it is heavy on my knees at the moment and I think I do need to ease myself into exercise as a whole and maybe come back to 30ds when I'm a little bit fitter.
    laton008, Leslie sandstone looks really useful, I will try her routine out tomorrow. Thank you so much for recommending her!! And RMZ2014 , that is a great quote, will remember it :)
    wintersport20, thank you so much for the channel recommendations!! They look really exciting and not as daunting as Jillian is atm!
    mave34, thank you for sharing your experiences. Sorry for your injuries, but congratulations on your achievements!

Seriously guys, didn't expect to get such a response! It's really encouraged me to try again and not be defeated! Good luck to you guys!

(As for my medical condition, I was diagnosed with M.E several years ago and suffer with really painful shoulder muscles)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    hi. i see you already took some action but i just want to chime in that i am a victim of too much too soon, and suggest you always listen to your body. also i have been having fun with some belly dance videos from youtube. great for your core and slow pace/low impact.
  • tinydeer
    Options
    chadya07 - The more comments, the merrier! I haven't thought of that! Seems like something fun to do :)
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have to recommend Chris Powell workouts on you tube - he has a super easy beginner and intermediate but at least you are moving.

Anybody have an EASY pilates to start with?
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HI! I am a great fan of water based activities; it's worked well on my bad knee and builds up strength with no joint pressure. I did lots of aqua aerobic classes whilst building up to more intense workouts- like 30DS. It's all very well to try and train like you are on The Biggest Loser, but they have trainers on hand and medical expertise to ensure they don't cause themselves injuries. Take care and build up slowly- you'll soon see your fitness and strength improve. Good luck!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given really good advice, so I will try to find something to add, rather than repeat.

In addition to pilates, I think yoga is fantastic. Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is a solid choice. There are a lot of different kinds and styles of yoga. I personally stick to teachers who do a lot with exploring and finding what feels right. I also use a variety of yoga intensities. I do "yoga for flexibility" or "yoga for relaxation" when I'm sore, sick, or totally not wanting to do anything (but when I know I'll benefit from the doing). I do more power yoga if I want a strength workout that's low impact and a bit quieter than something with a lot of built in cardio.

I'd also add: I can't speak to your health issues. So anything that you think might relate to a real medical issue, an injury, etc, is not something to take lightly. BUT, where it is a question, only, of just not being fit enough to complete a video, then I'd say absolutely stick with the video. Do modifications of moves to make them less intense, or substitute a move for something else completely. Bow out for a bit and walk. Even pause it if you want a break and don't want to miss trying something. You'll learn a lot more and improve a lot faster by sticking out a video, even if you're changing things, not finishing sets, going at half pace, etc, than by switching it off after 5 minutes. You also may decide that a particular video is not for you -- but you can only really figure this out by keeping it on and trying each thing (at least for a little bit) and feeling it out. You may also learn some things from it that you can take into future workouts, even if you decide that video isn't right for you. I've learned lots of moves across many videos that I'll use as modifications or substitutes with other videos, so it benefited me to learn.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    my joints click but its not damaging, but if you feel it is or maybe or if it hurts i'd recommend water based work outs, any gym that uses hydrolics in their machines (curves does not sure where else) or if money is an issue try something like beginners zumba , yoga, pilates
  • sahi2lynn
    sahi2lynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would recommend adding some weight training as well. It seems to help get all your body parts working together again. I am 60 years old and started lifting last year. At first I could not finish a set with only body weight. After four months, I was doing two full sets with 20 pounds. I used Body for Life. Bought the book in one of those "get rid of it" bins.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ditto Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. I did them last year while I had a knee injury, and its a good workout. She annoys me, but the workout is pretty good.
  • tinydeer
    Options
    The Leslie Sandstone videos are a lifesaver! It might not be so intensive, but I managed to finish the whole routine and it's kept me buzzing. Thank you for hooking me up guys!

I have some small weights so I will be adding them in next time!

I also didn't realise how big of a resource YouTube is! I am so grateful for everyone's comments here, really inspiring!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    i agree with people who suggest swimming becayse it supports your weight and those who suggest walking. Walking is great becayse you cna fit it into your daily schedule and can keep adding 5 minutes wrth each day. Even a ten minute walk there and ten back starts to add up. Thing is to start small and keep working up. Everyone starts somewhere and as people say you are walking many times more than the person who gets no exercise at all.

If you need encouragement then look at the motivation/success thread for people who have lost masses over a long time.