No energy on ketogenic diet after 6 weeks. Please help.

Options
I have been following a ketogenic diet for the last 6 weeks. I even bought a ketone meter and my ketones measure 3.0 mmol on a fairly regular basis so I know that I am producing adequate ketones, but I am totally exhausted. I am on the verge of giving up. My macros are 83% fat, 3% carbs, and 14% protein. I am eating only moderate levels of protein, and my carbs are around 15 grams or below. I am having no fruit and no nuts. My carbs are only salad vegetables like kale, lettuce, spinach, or chives. Protein is mostly meat, eggs, and some cheese. Fat is coming from coconut oil, and ghee. I also am taking a teaspoon of salt twice a day to make sure that my sodium levels are adequate. I am not eating enough protein to disrupt ketosis as my ketone meter clearly indicates. My energy levels are extremely low, and I do not have increased mental clarity. Please help. I have been super strict and it does not appear to be working. I track my food daily in an online food log and I am very specific.

Am I just one of those people that does not function well on a ketogenic diet? Any suggestions?

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You're eating ridiculously low carb. Who advised you to do this?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat food!
    Why torture yourself? Unless your doctor has a medical reason for you to be in keto, then it is unnecessary to weight loss.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Three percent carbs is WAY too low. Carbs are what give you energy, and you have essentially none--no wonder you're exhausted. Eat some bread!

How are you getting fiber? I can't imagine how constipated I'd be on your diet.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You want help? Okay, but I don't think it is going to be what you want to hear. EAT some more carbs.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am following a ketogenic diet, also at 5/6 week mark. My carb intake is between 25 -45 g and about 15% most days. I feel fine and am eating lots of veg and salad, limited fruit and meats/fish. Also able to exercise. You def need to up your carb intake and make most of your plate veg based. Also get a good quality supplement to help boost you back up from the recent deprivation.
    Ketogenic can be really easy and not limiting - unless you limit yourself unnecessarily. Feel free to have a look at my food diary for inspiration.
    Cat x
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A number of years ago I was on the Atkins diet. It started off at 30 grams of carbs per day, and then increased a bit as the program went on. In that program, they said that decreased energy as well as mental acuity could be a result. Talk to your doctor and ask about a healthy carb level.
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread, man!
  • wubbykid
    wubbykid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Or woman!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Carbs give you energy.

Unless you have a metabolic issue like PCOS or diabetes and your doctor recommended this, why do keto?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? You have been here for more than year with no forum posts and a private diary. Open your diary to see how much you are eating and what you are eating.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    You want help? Okay, but I don't think it is going to be what you want to hear. EAT some more carbs.

All this right here.

Keto is unnecessary and can be downright dangerous. You can lose weight without it. Feeling ill and too weak to function...that's not a sign of good health.

Keto is nonsense. Eat and track your calories.

Bunch of BS. LOL
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You don't have increased mental clarity and wondering if you should change your diet. Is it your goal to lose weight or end up in a hospital?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Maybe this diet isn't a good fit for you.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You don't need keto

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046

CONCLUSIONS:

KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Yeah ... Keto doesn't work for everybody. And it doesn't seem to be working for you. Have some bread, it's okay! SO MANY people here lose weight and they never even think about Keto. You can eat what you enjoy and still lose weight, don't despair!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

All this right here.

Keto is unnecessary and can be downright dangerous. You can lose weight without it. Feeling ill and too weak to function...that's not a sign of good health.

Keto is nonsense. Eat and track your calories.

Bunch of BS. LOL

I agree Keto is a bunch of bs.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You don't have increased mental clarity and wondering if you should change your diet. Is it your goal to lose weight or end up in a hospital?

This is the sad truth. :( OP, please eat something.