Just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism...

Options
6 years ago, I was a size 2, full of energy. Over these last 6 years, I've gradually - and then quickly - started gaining weight. I definitely am not as active as I was, but I am exhausted all of the time. I am 43, and associated it with getting a little older. But the tiredness was just getting to me.

Last week, I found out that my TSH level was 30.75. (You read that right.) My doctor immediately started me on Synthroid 150mg. So I've been on it for 5 days now. The jittery feeling has stopped - but the tiredness has returned. I am a happy person, not depressed. Although, depression will come soon if I find out I have to feel like this forever.

How long does it take to start feeling better? I keep hearing different things - from immediately, to months. I'd love to get a little encouragement from someone on this issue. In March, I am going to Greece for my son's school trip. I'm so excited about it, but I'm so worried I'll still weigh 185 pounds and have no energy. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

I promise - any advice you give me, I'm willing to give a shot. I just hate feeling like this.

Thank you for reading this.

Replies

• ljminto
    Options
    I am 42 and was diagnosed 5 years ago..I was also put on Synthroid. This WILL get better, but you have to make up your mind to get moving!! Exercise will make you feel soo much better, both physically and emotionally! The medicine will help, but keep in mind that adjustments to your meds MAY have to be made in order for the doctors to have you on the BEST dosage for you. Use this program to keep up with your calorie intake and exercise. Also, get online and do some research of your own. People live with this every day and it will be ok. Give yourself and your body time to adjust to the meds.
  • jmtris
    jmtris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow!! That is extremely high. I would hope that you would feel better quickly since your TSH was so high and you have been placed on a higher level of synthroid. It took me about a year to get my levels "normal" but I never felt bad since I had my thyroid removed and then was placed on medication following surgery. My levels remained slightly abnormal but not enough for me to notice a difference. Your doctor should check your thyroid levels again in 8-12 weeks and then adjust your medication again if needed and then again in 6 months until you get to a level where yearly blood work is all that is needed.

Weight loss and an increase in energy will happen before you know it. Be a little patient and allow the medicine to do its job.
    Good luck and have fun on the trip. What a wonderful opportunity.
  • ru_srs
    Options
    Thank you both!! I'll read everything I can get my hands on. I have a recheck in 9 weeks of my TSH level.

Also, I'll go walking right now - maybe you're right.

❤❤❤
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    9 weeks seems like a long time to check.

I was diagnosed 10 years ago this month at a whopping 19 years old. My TSH was 16.0, and boy do I get what you mean by the jitters.

Now, here's the hard part: the jitters come back when your meds are off. No joke. The sucky part about being on thyroid meds is that since hormones change so constantly, your meds will need to be adjusted every once in a while to accommodate changes in your body. Once you've been on Synthroid for a while, you'll notice it and you'll be able to go to your doc and say "test me, my levels are off". Whether they believe you or not is the kicker, but it doesn't matter.

When my meds are changed, I recheck in 6 weeks. It takes about 4 to stabilize. You definitely need to stay active. Weight loss is difficult in general and times somewhere between 2-10 if you have a thyroid problem (whether you are medicated or not).

Also, you might find that although your TSH sits in a "normal" range, you still might be symptomatic. When my levels are higher than 1.0, I have symptoms of hypothyroidism BIG time. "Normal" range is up to 3.0. Just pay attention to how you feel and communicate with your doc.

Feel free to add me. Although much younger, I've been through this for a long time and can help answer questions. Best resource is your doc, but the docs don't always listen.