How to exercise without waking up at 5 AM

Options
Help! I am good with my diet, and I know I can get over this hump very easily if I can just find it in myself to exercise. My work schedule is pretty crazy though... and we don't get breaks. No lunch breaks or anything unless there's time.

So my schedule is as follows:

Monday- off
Tuesday- 8am-6pm
Wednesday- 8am-10pm
Thursday- 1pm-9pm
Friday- off
Saturday 8am-7pm
Sunday- 8am-6pm

Other than my two days off, do you see any gaps I could fill? By the time I get home there is no exercising. I'm a hairdresser and I'm constantly on my feet with no time to even use the restroom, so morning workouts are probably my best best. Also, the neighborhood I'm in probably isn't the most comfortable to go fr a jog at night time. I can't really afford a gym right now. My spa offers yoga and pilates, but I don't want to move in and live there either. I need some time management here. Thanks!

Replies

• RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What about doing a quick at home workout. even if its just to sweat and burn some extra calories
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of things you can do at home on your days off and before you go in on Thursdays, or before you go in any other day. You just have to want it.
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with the at home DVD. I wake up 30 mins early and do the '30 day shred'- It gets me energized for the day, and it is short enough to have no excuses not to do it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Home workouts before you start your day.
  • una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    T25 is an awesome at home workout and it is only 25min long. It will fit your schedule and will help you while you are on your fitness journey :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You either make the time for it by getting up early or whatever you have to do, or you do not make the time for it. And as stated, this doesn't have to be "going to the gym".
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You either make the time for it by getting up early or whatever you have to do, or you do not make the time for it. And as stated, this doesn't have to be "going to the gym".

This!

I get up M/W/F at 430.
    Do I like it? No.
    Is it hard? Yes.
    Is it worth it? Yes.

Look up convict conditioning. It's body weight exercises you could do at home.
  • hooah4
    Options

This!

I get up M/W/F at 430.
    Do I like it? No.
    Is it hard? Yes.
    Is it worth it? Yes.

Bravo. I do the same. M-F up @ 0440 and start my workout by 0520. Get an hour in and off to work by 0645
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This!

I get up M/W/F at 430.
    Do I like it? No.
    Is it hard? Yes.
    Is it worth it? Yes.

Bravo. I do the same. M-F up @ 0440 and start my workout by 0520. Get an hour in and off to work by 0645

Thanks and right back atcha. I get to my gym by 515, hour long lifting heavy, shower then off to work by 715.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Monday- off TIME TO WORK OUT
    Tuesday- 8am-6pm TIME TO WORK OUT
    Wednesday- 8am-10pm
    Thursday- 1pm-9pm
    Friday- off TIME TO WORK OUT
    Saturday 8am-7pm
    Sunday- 8am-6pm TIME TO WORK OUT

I see lots of time.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Wednesday- 8am-10pm
    Thursday- 1pm-9pm
    Saturday 8am-7pm

I see lots of time.

^^ Yes. She can also work out on Thursdays since she doesn't have to be at work until 1 p.m. And probably sneak something in on Saturdays.

And FWIW once you start making a habit of getting up early to hit the gym you get used to it. Try it for a few weeks.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Before you start excercise, it is hard to get the inertia.

Once you start, though, you'll be great. You'll have more energy, and feel better.

Your days will get longer. Seriously.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wednesday- 8am-10pm
    Thursday- 1pm-9pm
    Saturday 8am-7pm

I see lots of time.

Yep. My biggest hurdle when I started working out was thinking that I had to go hard every day or it wasn't worth it...so not the case. Even if you get a few workouts in a week, even if they are just a long walk, or a bike ride, or a home work out, it adds up.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other people here, I get up at 4:30 so I can get an hour and a half in the gym MWF and I work 8-4:30 5 days a week and go to night school 4 days a week. Excuses are just excuses.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just started getting up at 3ish on Tuesdays and Thursdays just to get in a longer run because it fits better there. So headlamp, reflective vest, and all, I make time. You have time. If you don't want to get up at 5 don't, but like others have pointed out, plenty of time in the schedule you provided to exercise.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

Monday- off
    Tuesday- 8am-6pm
    Wednesday- 8am-10pm
    Thursday- 1pm-9pm
    Friday- off
    Saturday 8am-7pm
    Sunday- 8am-6pm

Monday - anytime
    Tuesday - after work
    Wednesday - rest day
    Thursday - before work
    Friday - anytime (or even rest so you're resting from everything)
    Saturday - before or after
    Sunday - before or after
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Also, the neighborhood I'm in probably isn't the most comfortable to go fr a jog at night time.
    Get yourself a couple jogging buddies. Running in packs = safety. Plus there's motivation if you know they're going to show up expecting you to be ready to hit the bricks.,..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....

"Instead of saying 'I don't have time' try saying 'it's not a priority' and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your resume sweetie, because it's not a priority" "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, then that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently"

:flowerforyou:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Get up early on your work days, even if it's just a little early for a short workout, then hit it hard on your days off and on Thursdays since you go in late that day. If you have rest days, make them your work days and that will prevent you from having to get up early more often than you would like.