quit smoking?!

Options

Replies

• eswane
    Options
    Chewing on the end of a whole licorice root helped me with the cravings. It has many other natural health benefits, too. Good luck. Everyday struggles.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey yesterday. I've been experiencing crazy water retention in my feet and legs. I guess my fingers are a little bit swollen too, my rings are tight, but the foot thing is kind of freaking me out. My feet are painfully swollen and I am up 5 lbs in one day, which I'm guessing is water weight. Anyone else experience water retention? I know nicotine is a diuretic, but I didn't think it was really flushing this much water out of me. I took a midol with a diuretic in it and have been drinking more water than usual. I hope this is temporary.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    great to see im not the only one taking control here. im seeing the DR on Thursday to get some champix. i have had a friend who had great success with this. i have tried nicotine replacements and it didn't work.

this time its gone for good, and with that the drinking has to stop for at least a month. time to fit it up,

After smoking over 20 years, Chantix was the ticket for me. Worked like a charm. that was over 8 years ago. I didn't have any weight gain as I was active to begin with. Good luck, it is a bear to conquer but you can do it!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 37 yrs.
    You CAN do this.

First few days are hell!!
    Do NOT give into the urges, hang in there it will pass.

I tapered down over a weeks time.
    Started from a pack a day to half a pack next day.
    Then 8 next day, then 6-7 and so on until Sunday.
    I went all day until that evening, I had just one.

On Monday March 19th I didn't smoke at all.
    I've made it this far, so can you.:flowerforyou:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I quit in January of 2012 after 32 years. I started off using Chantix but the stuff made me loopy. I had to come off it so I invested in cinnamon sticks for every location I was at. Those helped a great deal. Changing routines too helps as well. I used to read a lot, but I found when I read, I smoked. Needless to say, I don't read as much now.

My doc told me to focus on quitting or weight loss, not both at the same time because if I did, I would probably fail.

The first year I focused on the quitting. I started MFP in 2013. Yes, I gained as I expected I would. You have to want to quit bad enough for it to work.

Sending you good vibes.
  • crystalstraits
    crystalstraits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My quit date was 8/31/2014. Currently working on four days smoke free and not feeling too bad. Using the patch.
    Good luck. :)
  • stretch0823
    stretch0823 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    smoked for twenty years...quit 14 years ago.. Used the patch in conjunction with the gym was the formula for me...day 3 sucked. I failed quite a few times but finally kicked it...Good luck.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    30 yrs a smoker, stopped cold turkey 10 months ago. I did notice ( my HRM noticed too) that my resting / and exercising heart rate changed. I started doing a lot more exercise, mainly cardio to compensate for any potential weight gain

so far so good, even during highly stressful emergencies

you can do it
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was day 5 and I cracked and smoked about half a pack- even after admitting it tasted awful. (Had a dental procedure last Thursday so kinda had to quit for 5 days, b/c dry socket.... no thanks!) I've been using the markten e-cigarette for about 3 days now. It's not the same- so if you expect it to be you'll be disappointed. But, what I do like is the weight is right, the look is right, it doesn't taste like freaking cotton candy or bubble gum or cherry or whatever. And the cartridges are about $3/each and last me about a day. So that saves me some money, makes me less *****y and my hair doesn't smell like smoke- so those are good things.

I'd like to not use a cheater stick at all, but I did that about a year and a half ago and made it about 3-4 months and then was smoking more than I had before. So for now, cheater stick. And even though yesterday I messed up, today's a new day.

Oh and last year when I did quit for those few months it was when I joined MFP and I lost about 20 lbs in that time frame. Then summer came around and my brain and body went on a vacation until about 45 days ago...

Anyway, today's a new day and I try again.
  • HealthyHabits2015
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes, but still use an E-cig on occasion (usually when drinking) and yes...i gained weight....a lot of weight.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    7.5 mos now - 8 mos by mid September. That's over 4,200 cigs not smoked; $1,500 in the pocket - give or take. Can run a 5k without feeling like I'm on death's bed. Currently training for a Mudder event.

I do vape; no weight gain as I did join the gym the same time I decided to quit smoking. Only gave these tiny stats as an incentive.

Best of luck
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking July 4th weekend of 2013, so just over a year ago. I was ready, so it wasn't really that hard (except in the car, lol). I took up walking on my "smoke" breaks at work and am actually doing a ton more exercising and stuff outside than I did before. The only negative result is that I read a lot less now, lol. That's what I'd do while I was smoking.
  • stefaniella
    Options
    I quit smoking back in 2002 and never looked back.... cold turkey basically, and I chewed a little nicotine gum in the beginning until I eventually lost the desire to smoke completely.
  • hariharannarayanan
    Options
    i quit smoking and drinking 3 years ago this month after smoking about a pack a day for 10 years. I did not have anything planned, was just smoking a cigarette with my roommate before finally moving to a new house and as I was throwing the butt down, I decided that I will not smoke again. I started regretting soon that I did not even relish my last cigarette.

I had a few things going in my favor. I had started running a cpl of weeks before I quit and I could experience first hand what the cigs had done to my lungs and heart. Also the runners high was a nice substitute for the nicotine high. I had just moved to a new house so it felt like a new beginning.

I think its important not to try and reason with your brain when its trying to convince you to have just one puff. Its a battle in your head and the part that wants to quit must just be adamant and petulant and irrational. You WILL lose if you try to rationalize the debate.
    I have luckily had problems with authority figures all my life. Think of the voice that wants you to smoke as that annoying parent/ teacher/ roommate/ friend who just wont shut up but you will still do what you want to do just for the heck of it. At least that's what worked for me.

It is a battle stacked against you because to win it, you have to not smoke every single time you get a craving. To lose it, you have to take just one puff. Realize this before you decide to quit.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated 2 months, cigg free. I went to quit the pack dot org and signed up for free nicotine patches ( you have the choice between patches and gum). It worked beautifully for me! I've smoked for almost 20 years so quitting was a really big mental ordeal to overcome. The last few years I'd gotten up to 1.5 packs/day.

You can absolutely do it. Like anything else, it's about being ready to commit and substituting the addiction & behavior with something else. I began walking more and drinking tons of water.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Next month will be one year since I quit and I have never been happier!

The best part is how repulsed I am by smoke now and I can't imagine ever picking it up again.

I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking and it was the best money I ever spent (I see e-versions for $7 - $11 out there). I have also bought copies and shared copies. I didn't even finish the book and quit halfway through.

I did try the eCigs when I first considered smoking (before I read the book) but stopped when I heard about the potential harms (exploding, unregulated volume of nicotene, etc.) and the didn't really do it for me anyway.

Good luck! You CAN do it if you want it!
  • vjles
    vjles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    After 23 years of smoking I got a bit of a scare one day while sitting at the computer songwriting. My left arm went completely numb and I was light headed and dizzy for only about 30 seconds. The reason for the scare? I lost my father due to a heart attack at 37 years old, he was buried on my 12th birthday. His father (my grandad) died a couple of months later, same symptoms.

I went to the doctors and had blood taken after explaining what happened. As human nature dictates, after 2 weeks waiting for the results I had convinced myself that I was on my deathbed. The nurse said that everything was fine, totally shocked I asked about cholesterol, etc. She said everything was well within normal limits, in fact I was the fittest bloke they had seen for a while and said come back in 5 years for another checkup. On leaving the doctors I literally kicked my height outside in the street.

When I got home I thought 'If I'm this fit after all these years smoking I don't need them anymore' and threw all my cigarettes into the fire. Found my self a pair of shorts and went out and did a 5 mile run and nearly killed myself lol. Next day, when I started feeling the craving for a cigarette, I put my shorts on and did that 5 mile again. I did this for a full month, every day it got easier. Also i noticed during this month that my urine was a very dark colour, obviously all the poisons coming out of my body.

Since the end of that month I have never ever craved a cigarette again. I can be around other people smoking and it does not bother me at all. I won't let anyone smoke in the confined space of my car though. 2 years ago I had my lungs x-rayed and did a 'lung capacity blow test'. In both cases the Doctor said that there was no sign of damage or any indication that I had ever smoked!!! So, there IS LIFE after smoking, the human body regenerates over 3-5 years. In my opinion this is never emphasised in the campaigns to stop smoking, it should be.

That was in 1992, I joined an athletic club and raced virtually every week. 2 years later in 1994 I got my half marathon PB at 1 hour 27 minutes 41 seconds!!! Today I still run with my athletic club every week, although, I rarely take part in races (I'm 63 now).

Here are my results for the Great North Run Half Marathon in the 1990s (North East England);

15-09-91 - GNR 13.1 - 1:46.45 - Position - 6956 (still smoking, stopped for 6 weeks prior to the race)
    20-09-92 - GNR 13.1 - 1:39.08 - Position - 4739
    19-09-93 - GNR 13.1 - 1:36.51 - Position - 3699
    18-09-94 - GNR 13.1 - 1:27.41 - Position - 1404 PB
    17-09-95 - GNR 13.1 - 1:29.24 - Position - 1537
    15-09-96 - GNR 13.1 - 1:31.24 - Position - 1254
    14-09-97 - GNR 13.1 - 1:30.33 - Position - 1554
    04-10-98 - GNR 13.1 - 1:36.23 - Ran with an 'acquired' number
    10-10-99 - GNR 13.1 - 1:34.34 - Ran with an 'acquired' number
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    ive been smoke-free for 35 mins or so...this is easy
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a little over three years ago. I just woke up one day and didn't smoke, and then I didn't smoke for the rest of the day, or the next day after that etc.

Sometimes I still have cravings but you know what? There's nothing a cigarette offers me that's worth undoing all the good I've been doing over the last three years.

You can do it too. Just get real with yourself about smoking... what it does to you, in the short term and in the longer term, what it does to those around you, heck, even what it does to the environment.
  • Kzyden
    Kzyden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey this January and did really well for a while. I did replace cigs with lots and lots of candy though. After a while I started to sneak cigs and decided to buy those ecigs without nicotine and thats what finally did the trick for me. I was able to use them as a crutch when the cravings were really bad, or I was around others who smoked. Keep at it though and you'll get there eventually. I smoked for 12 years, and I can now say I'm smoke free!
    Best of luck to you.