Lifting but not feeling sore anymore.

I've been trying to do squats and other "butt" exercises to lift and firm my butt. The first week or so I felt sore and felt a good burn but now i don't feel anything. I have upped my weight that i squat with and have even tried different kinds of squats. I worry that I am doing it wrong or not doing enough. I usually do four sets of 25 squats with a 40 pound bar across my shoulders. Any Advice?

Replies

• pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Up the weight some more, the body adapts to the wight so add more

If you're doing it at a gym get a member of the gym staff to just check your form, then up the weight.

But you also don't necessarily HAVE to feel sore afterwards.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Soreness shouldn't be a total indicator of how well you are doing, the expression "No Pain no gain" does not apply. However, make sure you are lifting what you could be. If you do 5 sets of 5 and the last set is too easy that's a sign that you need to bump up the weight. I'm currently on strong lifts 5x5 program and the goal is to add 5 lbs every workout until I stall.

Make sure you're lifting enough, you will need to lift more as you go.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Soreness doesn't equal a great workout - it just means that you worked muscles that haven't been worked in a while. I would definitely find a progressive program though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    40 pound bar?

Up it to 100 or 120 pounds. Keep the volume the same, and make sure you aren't resting in between sets more than maybe a minute.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Soreness doesn't equal a great workout - it just means that you worked muscles that haven't been worked in a while. I would definitely find a progressive program though.

this.

I've been running the same program for almost 6 months (or variations)- it ended- and I for funsises did my first bro split in almost over a year- I'm quiet sore yesterday and today LOL

Just muscles I haven't used that way in a while.

But get on a program- 40 pounds isn't going to get you anywhere.
  • dbmata
    40 pounds? That might be enough to stay active when you're in a nursing home.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    4 sets of 25? That's a lot of squats and with only 40 lbs - that's training your muscles for endurance, not strength. Put some plates on that bar and lower your reps to 5 or 10 max.
  • dbmata
    4 sets of 25? That's a lot of squats and with only 40 lbs - that's training your muscles for endurance, not strength. Put some plates on that bar and lower your reps to 5 or 10 max.

Naw, I like the idea of someone grinding 25 or 30 reps of 120,150#. It's fun to do.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    I dont squat (knee issues) so I am definitely not an authority here, but it does sound like you should raise the weight, even if it's just a little at a time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Naw, I like the idea of someone grinding 25 or 30 reps of 120,150#. It's fun to do.
    20 rep squat breathing program.

le suck.

seriously.

SO.MUCH.SUCK.

I got up to 170.. had to repeat it to make it- but 175 was to much.
    I'm considering running it again. It's a sh*tty program- but it was worth it. only 6 weeks LMAO
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Soreness isn't always an indicator of whether one got a good workout or not.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tleg0312
    tleg0312 Posts: 5 Member
    i think i'm actually doing 80 now that i think about it. like 40 on each side. i'm just afraid of hurting my back or something else by using more weight. i'll lower the reps too. seems like that is a good idea!
  • tleg0312

theres really no need to be rude. i'm not quite sure what i'm talking about and youre rudeness is not needed here.
  • dbmata

le suck.

seriously.

SO.MUCH.SUCK.

I'm considering running it again. It's a sh*tty program- but it was worth it. only 6 weeks LMAO

Yup. :D

I've told you a couple of the grind fests I'm being put through. I think everyone should give that a try once or twice. ;) It really does screw up your concept of what "normal" volume is though. lol
  • dbmata

theres really no need to be rude. i'm not quite sure what i'm talking about and youre rudeness is not needed here.

Then if you aren't quite sure what you're talking about, take the advice given.

Just because you didn't like something doesn't mean it is inaccurate, rude, or wrong. :) Learn form properly, and go heavier. You're still 5 pounds shy of the bar, and put in practical terms, a 40# load is a bag of dog food. That's no feat, that's just a basic life need.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    4 sets of 25? Are you trying to gain muscle in your glutes or do some cardio?

25 reps is warm up. Up the weight, drop the reps. you are going for gaaaaainz not endurance.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    i think i'm actually doing 80 now that i think about it. like 40 on each side. i'm just afraid of hurting my back or something else by using more weight. i'll lower the reps too. seems like that is a good idea!

don't forget to add the bar weight, if you have 40 per side and if you're using a OLY bar, then its really 125lbs
  • tleg0312

don't forget to add the bar weight, if you have 40 per side and if you're using a OLY bar, then its really 125lbs

well its one of those preset weights. i dont know a better way to explain it better than that. i cannot change the weights on either side and we have like a rack of ones of varying weights
  • DjinnMarie
    Oh lawd! You are bat chit crazy! Hell nah! How many sets do you do?

But hey, I did 10x10 to bust through a strength plateau. It worked.... But fuuuuuuuuu I was desperate.

:noway:

le suck.

seriously.

SO.MUCH.SUCK.

• DjinnMarie
    Are you using dumbbells???

well its one of those preset weights. i dont know a better way to explain it better than that. i cannot change the weights on either side and we have like a rack of ones of varying weights