MFP Runner's Club 7/30

Options
2»

Replies

• StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Hello runners! Wow, today was one of those days I felt like I could've just kept going and going..it as crazy! I got out and did 9 miles today! It was very much needed..to say the least haha! Anyways hope you all have good workouts/rests today!

Happy hump day :smile:
    Wow, how long does it take you to run that far?
    Good Job!:flowerforyou:
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Hello runners! Wow, today was one of those days I felt like I could've just kept going and going..it as crazy! I got out and did 9 miles today! It was very much needed..to say the least haha! Anyways hope you all have good workouts/rests today!

I'm like embarressed to even say really..I did it at a 12 min. mile pace today hahaha. Sorry its just with all these amazing runners on this forum..I feel like such a turtle lol! Oh well, slow and steady wins the race right?
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. My knee is still hurting. I am starting to worry I did more that over do it! I am stretching and will do pilates tomorrow. Shooting for a Saturday run if all goes well. Hard to be patient - makes me feel like a blob! :yawn:
    Bunny
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today. My knee is still hurting. I am starting to worry I did more that over do it! I am stretching and will do pilates tomorrow. Shooting for a Saturday run if all goes well. Hard to be patient - makes me feel like a blob! :yawn:
    Bunny

Do you wear a knee brace when you run?
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

I'm like embarressed to even say really..I did it at a 12 min. mile pace today hahaha. Sorry its just with all these amazing runners on this forum..I feel like such a turtle lol! Oh well, slow and steady wins the race right?

No, I don't think it is like a turtle. I am trying to reach 12 minute mile, getting closer all of the time though, up to 12:15 today and I am so happy with that. I feel the same way, slow and easy. My daughter always wants to just run, but then she has to stop and walk, then I pass her up and away I go while she tries to figure out if she wants to run or walk. Then after the first mile I pick up some good speed. I figure at times I am closer to a 10 minute mile while others 14 with all the up and downs around here.
    Thanks for sharing, it inspires me to know that you just enjoy it and just run kind of like me.:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have settled into a good routine that is becoming a habit--but I'm trying to add running into it. On M/W/F, I always get up early and hit a 60 minute spinning class and then I follow the class with 45 minutes of weight training. At the conclusion of the weight training I jump in the pool and freestyle for 30 minutes. I have felt great doing this and like I said, it is becoming a routine. On T/Th/S I play in a morning basketball league and will typically play for two hours (full court). Each day I'm burning close to 1000 calories before 8am. I play in a basketball league Thursday evenings as well.

The challenge I have run into is debating how to start adding runs into my plan. I run a lot playing basketball, but it is not the same as endurance running. It is a completely different workout--more of a speed workout and heart rate challenge than a steady endurance run. I have decided that if I'm to sprinkle runs into my plan--I need to do them M/W/F evenings. I don't have time to run in the mornings after my other workouts and T/Th/S are too hard to run after playing basketball. My hope if the swim on M/W/F will help my legs recover and the 13 hour break during these days is enough to feel charged up to run again. I tried this Monday evening with an easy jog. I went out for a 2 mile run at a comfortable 10 minute/mile pace. I felt pretty good during and after the run and I'm hoping to make this a new routine for the light run on these nights. So with that said, I will aim for 2 miles again today and update this post at the conclusion. :)

http://dk-trainingjournal.blogspot.com/

Have you considered alternating your spin classes with running instead?
  • LeelaStar
    LeelaStar Posts: 36
    Options
    I am new to MFP...can I join your club?? Please?? :flowerforyou:

I have been on a little unscheduled exercise and food tracking holiday :ohwell:. Today's run was the first one in almost a week. I ran about 5K today and it felt great!

I am pretty new to running and I am hoping to take a clinic from the Running Room in the fall if I can raise the funds.

I hope it's OK for me to jump in here!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I am new to MFP...can I join your club?? Please?? :flowerforyou:

I have been on a little unscheduled exercise and food tracking holiday :ohwell:. Today's run was the first one in almost a week. I ran about 5K today and it felt great!

I am pretty new to running and I am hoping to take a clinic from the Running Room in the fall if I can raise the funds.

I hope it's OK for me to jump in here!

The more the merrier! Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Good job on running 5k today, too! :drinker:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Excuse me for a moment while I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

The stupid shin splints are back, and they are back full force. WTH dude? Just went I was getting my groove on with jogging, the beotches come back and attack. It's not fair!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I could only jog for 4 minutes before I felt like I was going to die. I ended up having to walk at an incline. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

The good news is I walked at a brisk pace and incline for 3 miles.

The even better news is, my total workout with the walk and weights I burned 541 calories according to my HRM! :bigsmile:

I hate my shin splints. :sad:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Excuse me for a moment while I :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

The stupid shin splints are back, and they are back full force. WTH dude? Just went I was getting my groove on with jogging, the beotches come back and attack. It's not fair!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I could only jog for 4 minutes before I felt like I was going to die. I ended up having to walk at an incline. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

The good news is I walked at a brisk pace and incline for 3 miles.

The even better news is, my total workout with the walk and weights I burned 541 calories according to my HRM! :bigsmile:

I hate my shin splints. :sad:

What the...????? :noway: :explode:

Maybe they won't last as long this time. :frown:
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i did three miles
  • 1stinap
    1stinap Posts: 16
    Options
    I was wondering if just anyone can join this group? I really have never been an avid runner but I really have been wanting to learn more on conditioning my body to become one and hopefully get to the point of races. I did when I was younger but it's been some years. I recently injured my foot but I am looking into everything now so I can be prepared once my foot has recovered and I am able.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I was wondering if just anyone can join this group? I really have never been an avid runner but I really have been wanting to learn more on conditioning my body to become one and hopefully get to the point of races. I did when I was younger but it's been some years. I recently injured my foot but I am looking into everything now so I can be prepared once my foot has recovered and I am able.

Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • LeelaStar
    LeelaStar Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks, Shannon!! :happy:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Welcome Leela and 1stinap!

Did 6.2 miles today. Ran with my friend that has a bit of a slower pace than me, so it took longer than what I would have liked...but...I was out there nonetheless. Man, was it yucky and humid out there today!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Shannon - I've never worn a knee brace. I was a runner 20 years ago but am new to running as of 4 months ago. This is the first time my knee has really acted up since I started running again. I do have an old injury - torn ligament - in that knee. Do they help? Thanks for the interest :smile:
    Bunny
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    Well, I did it - I signed up for the half marathon in town on September 7. I think if I can keep my pace down, I'll be able to do it. The last 3 races (5-10Ks) I did about 8:30 miles. I'm shooting for under 2 hours, but would really like to be able to just run the whole thing!

I'm taking the day off running (I think). I haven't had a day off of exercise in 8 days, I think I"m due :tongue:

OH MY GOD!!!! I just read your post and thought..funny...I am signing up for a local 1/2 marathon on Sept 7th! Yeah....checked your profile.....Hello from Sioux Falls!!! :-) Born and raised baby!

Anyway....today is my circut day so no run....but I am going to get up early tomorrow and do 5 1/2...gotta try to beat the heat!

Happy Running!

Ali
  • jpritts
    jpritts Posts: 36
    Options
    I have not posted in a while. But I have not given in, and have continued to exercise and run and eat healthy. I ran 3.5 miles today. I have achieved a 30 lb weight loss, and am darn near broke from having to buy new clothes:wink: (That is catually a good thing) I am really starting to notice a great deal of difference in my physical appearance, as well as how I feel. I FEEL GREAT. I think I have also motivated my wife into joining this community. Thanks a bunch everyone and good luck on this journey of a healthy life. It has been truely amazing for me thus far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!