cooking with lard...do you or don't you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like the flavor of it but I never use it myself.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have never cooked with lard. I would not shut the door on the idea, it's just not something that has ever been a part of my world. I think probably the only time I've ever even eaten anything cooked with lard would be the times I've gone out for Mexican food locally. I'd use the small jars if it were me :laugh:

^ This. I've also eaten it in pie crust. It supposedly makes better pie crust than hydrogenated vegetable shortening. I also got a bunch of tallow with my last 1/4 beef, so I'll have to learn how to render it, if it needs rendering. I don't really know what to do with it, as I've never used it before.
  • jlchandl17
    Options
    I've used it in baking and we always save the bacon grease, except lately the cats eat the bacon grease before I can use it. Guess I should really start putting it into a Ball jar with a lid.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so lard is off the menu, but I have lived between San Antonio and currently southern California for a while. Both predominantly Mexican and lard is used for cooking more often.
  • Bella_69
    Bella_69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I had a few pounds of pastured pig fat left over from our last order of 1/4 share.

I rendered it in the crock pot overnight on low & now have 10-12 qt of the stuff. I thought I'd package up some into ball jars & for my mom & aunties this weekend.

Which got me to thinking, my mom is usually up on all recent stuff, so it's not going to be a stretch for her to use it in her cooking (traditional Trinidadian fare). Oddly (or not so much) the older immigrant ladies of my family (from France & from Trinidad) will likely be less combative than the younger ones because both are very 'up' on the latest healthy fats, so I'm sure this isn't the first they've heard of using lard to cook with in recent years.

However, it got me to thinking that depending on what kind of mood some of my aunties are in, they may get a little crazy :laugh:

So, time for a poll...how many of you guys who are very conscious of trying to lose/maintain weight cook with lard?

I'm planning to use this data to surmise what size jars to use when I gift my precious, pastured pig fat :laugh: :laugh:

There is nothing wrong with it. My backround is Eastern European and all people use there is Lard. Pure Pig Lard. I use it sometimes i use only 1 tsp of it to just grease the pan not to drench my food in it. My grampa lived till 97 yrs old and he used pig lard his entire life . He didnt have olive oil or safflower , canola oil like we do today. He didnt have no clogged arteries.... I believe its ok to use it , like I said just to grease the pan so food dont stick. Other than that frying is generally bad overall if thinking of using pig lard , olive oil or whatever oil. My mom always told me that pure pig lard never stains. I tested it and she was right. It washes right out. I spilled by mistake some pig lard on to her white table cloth and she said dont worry it will wash out. I am in the younger generation of whats healthy whats not an dmy parents are the generation / old school thinking. LOL so we get heated health topics sometimes . So to conclude my answer yes i do cook with Pig lard but only to grease the pan so food dont stick.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The only time I cook with lard is if I'm making tamales.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Lard is pig fat
    Tallow is beef fat
    Chicken fat duck fat not any special names

Tallow is rendered beef fat and suet is unrendered beef fat. I bake with suet on occasion, especially the Christmas pudding. I get it from the butcher and let him know I will be cooking with it so I get the better pieces (as opposed to the pieces you can get to feed the birds). I then grind it up in my meat grinder. It really adds a great richness to the pudding.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'll have to remember to save my bacon grease. I haven't cooked much with lard unless I'm cooking something after I've made bacon, but I definitely would. I'd rather use the natural stuff than the unnatural stuff. Usually tastes better. I'm definitely a fan of butter.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    So, I had a few pounds of pastured pig fat left over from our last order of 1/4 share.

I rendered it in the crock pot overnight on low & now have 10-12 qt of the stuff. I thought I'd package up some into ball jars & for my mom & aunties this weekend.

Which got me to thinking, my mom is usually up on all recent stuff, so it's not going to be a stretch for her to use it in her cooking (traditional Trinidadian fare). Oddly (or not so much) the older immigrant ladies of my family (from France & from Trinidad) will likely be less combative than the younger ones because both are very 'up' on the latest healthy fats, so I'm sure this isn't the first they've heard of using lard to cook with in recent years.

However, it got me to thinking that depending on what kind of mood some of my aunties are in, they may get a little crazy :laugh:

So, time for a poll...how many of you guys who are very conscious of trying to lose/maintain weight cook with lard?

I'm planning to use this data to surmise what size jars to use when I gift my precious, pastured pig fat :laugh: :laugh:
    Since I do LCJF, I would think lard would be very healthy. I use coconut oil, bacon grease and olive oil and butter.
  • ceron1234
    ceron1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lard is pig fat
    Tallow is beef fat

Tallow is rendered beef fat and suet is unrendered beef fat. I bake with suet on occasion, especially the Christmas pudding. I get it from the butcher and let him know I will be cooking with it so I get the better pieces (as opposed to the pieces you can get to feed the birds). I then grind it up in my meat grinder. It really adds a great richness to the pudding.

I know that definitions change and the more popular an item becomes the more liberal the definition it becomes. Suet is actually a specialized fat that is found only around the beef kidneys. It is extremely white and beautiful to see. Tallow can be made from any beef fat that is trimmed off the beef.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The best pie crust I have ever eaten hands down was made with lard.

We roast potatoes and make Yorkshire pudding with butter and beef tallow.

I guess this year for the holidays I will have to consider the calories, but I won't give up these treats.

Now I am hungry.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with lard and unaware of this as a recent trend. I always just heard jokes about school cafeterias and Southern cooks using lard. I am totally ignorant about it and do not even know where you would obtain lard.

cook bacon.

have lard.

:)

Seriously embarrassing...I did not know "bacon grease" aka "bacon fat" = lard

Thanks hahaha

lard is just rendered or unrendered animal fat. izokay. You learned something new! :smile:

I just googled for fun- it's specifically saying pig fat- but I was under the impression that lard was lard. Because you can use like- duck/goose/deer I believe.
    Nope, lard is rendered pork fat. I also use duck fat quite a bit and ghee, also butter. Any vegetable oil I use is generally cold pressed like olive or avocado....

le google says it's actually render or unrendered- but lard itself is pig fat.
    Lard is pig fat
    Tallow is beef fat

I love the people on internet land.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No, never. I use butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil, depending on what I.m cooking, but not lard or bacon grease.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use lard whenever I make pie crust (fruit pies, tourtiere, quiche, etc.). I've tried using vegetable shortening and butter, but it just doesn't turn out as well and is missing that real tender flakiness.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with lard and unaware of this as a recent trend. I always just heard jokes about school cafeterias and Southern cooks using lard. I am totally ignorant about it and do not even know where you would obtain lard.

cook bacon.

have lard.

:)

Seriously embarrassing...I did not know "bacon grease" aka "bacon fat" = lard

Thanks hahaha

lard is just rendered or unrendered animal fat. izokay. You learned something new! :smile:

I just googled for fun- it's specifically saying pig fat- but I was under the impression that lard was lard. Because you can use like- duck/goose/deer I believe.

Lard is pig fat
    Tallow is beef fat

I've heard chicken fat for cooking called 'schmaltz'
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Lard is pig fat
    Tallow is beef fat

I know that definitions change and the more popular an item becomes the more liberal the definition it becomes. Suet is actually a specialized fat that is found only around the beef kidneys. It is extremely white and beautiful to see. Tallow can be made from any beef fat that is trimmed off the beef.

People usually equate suet with stuff you set out for birds which is pretty much any solid beef fat. That is why I go to a butcher and ask for suet for baking, and why that is always a beautiful white. I never knew it came from a particular part of the cow, but I am very glad my butcher does.
  • TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use lard for is tortillas. I just can't get them to taste right no matter what I try to substitute it with.