Phentermine to jump start weight loss under Dr.s supervision

Replies

• I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago, advised by my Dr., and I love it. I have been trying to get pregnant for almost a year now and have had no luck. I saw my Dr. we ran some test, and discovered there were a few issues. The biggest one being my weight. I have gained 90 lbs in 3 years, with no valid reason why. My lifestyle didn't change, my eating habits were the same, and I have never had to work out. I was always "naturally thin." Before I knew it I was 226 and miserable. Working with my Dr. we created a plan. 6 months on medication, lose all the weight we can, should be able to get pregnant by January. The medicine has given me energy, curved my appetite, and allowed me to make valid changes to make sure it stays off. I work out 6 days a week doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I am eating low carb high protein. I'm down to 113.4 as of this morning. AMAZING. Considering I had done just about every FAD DIET out there and gave up within a few days...I am so proud of myself. I am sure there are people out there who abuse this medication and use it as a fast answer to a problem they aren't addressing. Starving themselves, and not changing their habits. These are the people who say they gained it all back and it didn't work. There are weight loss clinics who will give it to anyone willing to pay, and don't monitor their health along the way. I think if your Dr. suggested it, and your under their care...go for it! Every drug isn't meant for every person. That's why their are a ton of possible side effects with every medication. Anxiety medication for example....the side effects of it are worse for some people than just dealing with anxiety.

Good Luck to everyone out there trying to make changes!
  • 1ahayward
    1ahayward Posts: 9 Member
    I've had the good fortune of maintaining a 45 lb weight loss as the result of a Nissen - an operation to correct my hiatal hernia - for almost 5 years. I did that by recording what I ate and exercise. Recently I decided to try to re-set my setpoint again. I keep my goals modest: With a current BMI of 42, I've decided getting to <40 seems like it might be doable. (Being under 40 may keep me from the worst effects of obesity, according to the research.)

I've been on the 15 mg capsule for three weeks, and I agree that it is somewhat helpful in curbing appetite: I don't crave carbs and can typically get through the afternoons without snacking on sweets. I have my calorie level set so that I lose only 1/2 lb/week and this is fine with me - again, modest. I truly believe weight loss and weight loss maintenance is a longterm (read lifelong!) process of experimentation and learning. Hopefully Phentermine will assist me with this, but I know that most of the effort is still mine. Good luck to everyone else. Be gentle with yourself!
  • Phentermine is a great medication if used properly. You should use Phentermie as a crutch for no more than 90 days. The problem with Phentermine from my personal experience and observing others that have used this drug is extreme dry mouth, irritability and dependency issues. Please remember its for short-term use only and you should do great!
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    I took Phentermine back when it was phen/fen and did great. I lost 80 pounds and kept it all off until I got pregnant with my first child. Then after I was done breastfeeding her, I was pregnant with my second. I tried lots of different things but had all kinds of excuses for not losing weight. It's only now, at 45 years old, that I get up at 4am every morning to go to the gym for 45 minutes. My doctor has put me back on Phentermine to try and get these 50-60 pounds off. I am not looking to be skinny ... just lose enough weight where I'm comfortable in my own skin and healthy and active. I do not have any of the bad side effects except the trouble sleeping at night, which is cured with a melatonin before bed. My alarm goes off at 3:50 to get up to go to the gym and I actually GET UP and GO to the gym!! I feel WONDERFUL. I take a half in the morning and a half at lunch time. I can drink coffee, diet coke, etc. and it doesn't affect me. I've had all my blood work done and all of the tests came back perfect. I don't feel "euphoric" but I definitely feel BETTER. Easy to focus, NOT grumpy, NOT edgy, very motivated and a whirlwind in getting everything done at work. Granted, this is NOT for everyone and if you do not make changes that you can ADHERE TO after you're off of the Phentermine then yes, you will gain the weight back. I am well aware of what causes the weight and know the diet that I have to follow. I know that I have to exercise. These are things that I KNEW back then but honestly just felt I was young and stupid and had the world by the tail and figured this was a magic pill. LOL. I know better know and can take the Phentermine as a tool to jump start this journey for me.
  • sllyrbbt73
    sllyrbbt73 Posts: 2 Member
    I took Phentermine with B12 shots and Chomium about 5 years ago, I lost almost 40 pounds and was doing fabulous. I moved and the doctors in that area really pushed the HCG diet which I was very against. 500 calories is not enough to sustain proper body functions. I continued to lose weight and did great even without Phentermine.

However, after a child birth and hysterectomy I gained weight and have been unable to get it back off for 27 months. I have just started the same regimen as above with Phenetermine and B12 plus Chomium and a Baricare vitamin pack. Anxious to see where this takes me this time. I have 50 pounds I want to lose, though to reach my healthy rates I need to lose more like 100 pounds. One step at a time, a well rounded diet and exercise is the key to any diet program with or without prescription medication
  • What about Qnexa, the new phentermine/topamax combo drug? I've never taken phentermine but topamax is great. I took it for about 3 months for migraines, I lost 40 pounds and completely kicked my diet coke addiction. Topamax changes the taste of things and at least for me, made diet pop tastes terrible.
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    I think an alternative such as an endometrial ablation for your heavy periods or even Mirena IUD would be worth a shot too. Good Luck.
  • SatinDoll85
    SatinDoll85 Posts: 9 Member
    If you are seeing a doctor and he/she takes the necessary precautions such as doing blood work and checking your heart and blood pressure before prescribing it, then i feel that it is ok. I just wish that people would understand the reason that they are gaining weight after the pill is because they do no maintenance! Someone who has always been able to maintain a thinner build can usually very easily lose the weight they gain for whatever reason they gain just by changing eating habits and exercising. However, someone like me who has been overweight since i was a child-it's not that simple.

I don't care what anyone says, but your genetic makeup has much to do with it! The doctor i go to performs blood work on patients so that he knows if phentermine is the right medication even if they are obese, if it is not right for them, he takes another route. I have been exercising since middle school and i eat the healthiest out of everyone in my family and my skinny friends yet, i was not able to lose a considerable amount of weight until i started on phentermine. While on it, you are supposed to work on your eating habits such as portion control and making healthy choices.

I lost 60 pounds my first time around and i am back on it to lose more. After i stopped i gained a couple of pounds but that is expected after anyone loses a substantial amount of weight. I started my weight loss journey at 284 pounds and i am now 232 and i am only 5'3 so i will continue to do this, eat right, and workout.. I also did weight watchers before i started the phentermine which was very helpful because it showed me what portion size and calories look like as opposed to what we sometimes think. I hate when people come on here and say "just eat right and workout" maybe that works for you and if it does that is awesome but as i said before, under doctor supervision i think a medication can be helpful. I did not experience heart palpitations nor dizziness while taking it and i believe everyone will respond differently to it.

It is about developing healthy habits in the process and if a person can't do that then they should not take phentermine because yes the weight will come back on. It is not an easy way out because some people struggle losing weight while on phentermine so that is not the issue.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    STOP taking this crap. It will kill you.
  • I started taking this about a month ago and have lost 18 of the 60 pounds my doctor and I decided I needed to lose. I love it. I have had only a few side effects which really are good ones: my scalp crawls a little if I don't eat and my mouth gets dry if I am not drinking my water like I should. No racing heart. No nausea. No hyper-ness. For the first time in a long time, I feel in control of my weight and food and eating are not my primary focus. I use MFP to keep my calories between 1200-1400 and I walk. As you all know, sometimes just getting started is the hardest part. This med is what that is intended to do.

For all you naysayers, you aren't me. I made this choice and it is working for me. I've tried every diet in the world at one point or the other. Never have I felt this in control. I am a stress eater. I love to cook. I work 80+ hours a week sometimes. In addition to that, I make cakes on the side. I have a large family that gathers around a good meal oftentimes. We are from the south after all:) I have just gone through menopause. This is just the perfect storm for weight gain. I couldn't do it on my own. I know that because I know ME.

And for all those considering this med, don't let others negativity stop you from considering this option. I was ashamed I guess to ask for this. My GP and OBGYN both refused to even consider it (they both were women who weighed @100 pounds each). Their advice: "just eat healthy and exercise". Well, if I could do that, I wouldn't be here subjecting myself to your disgusted looks. Thankfully, I found a physician who specializes in weight loss who is following my progress very closely. I feel like a new person with just this small amount of weight loss. I have energy, enthusiasm, confidence. I can breathe! My clothes fit better. My aches and pains have disappeared. I am happy and healthy. You can't put a value on those changes.
  • I guess you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • STOP taking this crap. It will kill you.

Just curious, have cases of this med killing people actually been reported?
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    I have taken Phentermine in the past. Yes it works! THe problem is, it suppresses your appetite so much, that you have no desire to eat. I could go days without eating. 15 years ago, that seemed awesome! Looking back on it, how stupid! Sure I lost a lot of weight, but if your doc is a good one, he won't let you stay on them for long. As soon as my doc quit giving them to me, the weight piled back on because I didn't work on changing my eating habits.
    I'm not condoning them, but PLEASE be sure you eat right. Good luck!

^ This.

If you want to take Phentermine, plan on having to remind yourself to eat. It removes every desire of eating you may have.

This and this ^^^. When I took Phentermine (under my dr's supervision) he suggested setting a timer on my phone to remind me to eat small balanced snack meals every few hours. Also, don't underestimate how hungry you will feel once you have to stop taking the meds. Do it gradually so you can begin learning the self control/portion control without the meds by he end of it. Eating small snack meals at this point is still super helpful to keep from going back to old habits. A good doc will help with this process too. :)
  • I have a question for those taking Phentermine. I have just recently started taking it on day 3 actually. I feel great in the morning and by 4:00 I am extremely tired and can barely stay awake. I take it in the morning with breakfast. Is there a better way to be doing this or am I doing something wrong to be so tired by mid day?? Thanks!
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    I have a question for those taking Phentermine. I have just recently started taking it on day 3 actually. I feel great in the morning and by 4:00 I am extremely tired and can barely stay awake. I take it in the morning with breakfast. Is there a better way to be doing this or am I doing something wrong to be so tired by mid day?? Thanks!

When I took phentermine, I took it later in the day. I was told to take it on an empty stomach and not to eat one hour before and after taking it. I usually would take it around 10am or after lunch. It's also possible you're feeling fatigued because you'r e not eating enough, or you're dehydrated, or your sodium is low. Try eating something salty (like some pickles, salted peanuts, or chicken broth), check your calories, and/or drink water and see if you notice a difference.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I have just started Qsymia which is a combo of phenteramine and topomax. I would like to meet others on prescription aided weight loss plans. I am working with a doctor and dietician. I haven't noticed much yet, I still get hungry, but my mouth is really dry. I do have some weight related health conditions that I am hoping will improve with diet and exercise.
  • I have a question for those taking Phentermine. I have just recently started taking it on day 3 actually. I feel great in the morning and by 4:00 I am extremely tired and can barely stay awake. I take it in the morning with breakfast. Is there a better way to be doing this or am I doing something wrong to be so tired by mid day?? Thanks!
    The only time I have experienced this is when I haven't eaten enough. You really do forget to eat and if you aren't getting in a good 1200 calories, you will be tired. I take it in the morning before breakfast with a full bottle of water (which I am not a fan of, but I try to drink as much as I can). If I don't eat enough, my scalp starts to tingle too. As soon as I eat, the sensation goes away. Good luck with it!
  • Is Phentermine by prescription only I cant find a doctor who prescribes it
  • Prescription only. Look for physician assisted weight loss centers.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    <shrugs> I took phentermine, too. Like most, it suppressed my appetite to the point where I was forcing myself to eat 1000-1200 calories per day. And like most, once I stopped taking it and my eating patterns returned to normal, I regained all of it, plus a bit extra.

I took my 30-day Rx, and broke each pill in half, and took it for 60 days, instead of 30. I lost about 35lbs...maybe if I had been on MFP then, and had developed better eating habits and exercise support (read: got my tail kicked for missing a gym day) I might have been able to keep it off once I stopped taking it.

Other than a bit of dry mouth (making me drink water, which isn't a bad thing) I didn't have any side-effects to speak of. The first day or two when I took a whole pill and really didn't eat anything, I did get headaches and was tired, but that corrected itself when I dropped to a half dose.