Healthy breakfast

Options
I've noticed that my breakfasts often have the most calories and are sometimes the most unhealthy for me. I know breakfast can be the most important meal of the day, so what are some options that aren't quite so bad? I'd prefer something quick I can grab and eat at work, or make in advance, but I still need something that will fill me up. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone! And if this has been answered elsewhere, please point me in the direction!!!

Replies

• LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    I almost always eat Fiber One cereal with skim milk for breakfast...fills me up and tastes super good! I eat it at work so I take the cereal in a tupperware container and the milk in a seperate container! =)
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Subway has great, healthy egg white sandwiches + a coffee for $2.75. :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after my am work out and a banana...yummy and healthy!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a fruit is my "busy breakfast" - easy peasy.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Whole grain toast, bagel or muffin with a natural nut butter. Oatmeal...instant isn't really healthy. Make your own in large batches so you can have it to warm up for a bunch of days. Greek yogurt with fruit. Egg sandwiches you can make the night before. Breakfast doesn't have to be typical 'breakfast' foods. Anything you like to eat that is well balanced would be great, maybe dinner leftovers. Low sugar, high fiber cereals.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I usually have a small protien like string cheese or a hard boiled egg, oatmeal and fruit. I'll eat the cheese/egg on the drive in to the office and the oatmeal once I get there.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I pop oatmeal in the microwave and add 1 or 2 tbsp of maple syrup and 1 or 2 tbsp of walnuts. Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp walnuts is also quick and easy. On light workout days I just have rye toast with a little butter (1 tsp) and maybe some fruit. Berries are quick and easy to transport. You can mix up a fruit-only smoothie at home and tote it with you in a thermos.

HTH.
  • choley222
    Options
    I switch between two things. I make a egg white sandwich which only take a few minutes to make. It's egg whites, canadian bacon, low fat swiss and a light english muffin. Lots of protein and helps keep me full until lunch. The other thing if I am in a huge hurry is whole grain eggos (I get the aldi fit & active brand) and put some light or sugar free whole fruit jam on there. Hope this helps.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    ANother one for greek yogurt & fruit for quick and easy.

I also like regular yogurt, one slice of wheat toast with 1/2 tbl PB.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try some oatmeal and add nuts, or that usually feels me up anything with fiber should hold you over till lunch!
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much everyone! Once fruit comes back into season I'll be sure to do the fruit and yogurt thing - so tasty! Glad to hear there are so many delicious breakfast options!!!
  • deandp371
    Options
    Shredded wheat, skim milk and a piece of fruit keeps me going till noon!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I made a fruit parfait the other day that was easy and fast. You can make ahead too and take with you.

I used 1 container of Yoplait low fat vanilla yogurt, 1 bisquit of Original Shredded wheat and 1 Kiwi fruit.
    Layered the ingredients and then drizzled 1tsp of light maple syrup over the top...delish and filling!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My breakfast lately has been:
    3 - 4oz homemade turkey patty
    plain, non-fat greek yogurt with
    1 tbl natural almond butter
    and 1/2 banana mashed in

I found that that mashing the banana really brings out the sweetness. So, I don't have to add any additional sugar or artificial sweetener.
  • momof3babes
    Options
    My favorite is danon light and fit vanilla yogurt, a handfull of blueberries and about 1/8 of a cup of kashi go lean crunch. It's like a parfait! Super yummy and right around 200 calories.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I love answering this:

Sliced apple and 1 TBS of melted peanut butter :love:
    2 Cups of water.
  • lauraelisedavis
    Options
    My favorite two breakfasts are:

Egg Beaters (1 serving) with one fresh mushroom quartered in the eggs. 2 mins in the microwave. Yum!

Second breakfast: Mix1 protein shake
  • DaniEss
    DaniEss Posts: 27
    Options
    yogurt with some -healthy- granola in it is also delicious and filling
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    great ideas! For the poster who makes a big batch of oats and then reheats them, do you need to add extra water or milk when reheating? How long in the microwave?
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    More ideas please