Opinions on my eating plan

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You're aware that "eating healthy" also means eating an appropriate amount of calories to fuel yourself and that not feeling hungry isn't an indication of eating properly, right? I mean, I can be full on 1200 if I ate nothing but low calorie bulk foods but still be missing out on proper amount of fats, protein and micronutrients to sustain myself.
  • daniellerusbult2
    daniellerusbult2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So you have a 4 month plan. What about the rest of your life? Temporary changes equal temporary results.

I will be eating at TDEE mainly. This is my weight loss plan. After this, I'll be able to just do maintenance.

You will be eating TDEE mainly when? 1200 is like 1000 cals under TDEE.
    Iit doesn't matter if you eat 1200 of LOTS of food or 1200 of crap food. You're still eating only 1200.
    You plan on doing 3-4 days of weights each day without eating any grains (carbs). Like above poster said: a plan to lose muscle mass and bone density.

I can see how you got to that logic, I juste have to say "in my honest opinion" that I don't agree with it. Sorry

I'll be eating at TDEE for the rest of my life, as I was quoting the gentleman above you who had the question.

And it does matter if I eat 1200 of lots of food.... they are nutrient-packed foods. I'm not malnutritioned by any means in eating 1200 calories. Sure, it's DEFINITELY not something that I can do long term. I may not even do it for the whole month. But right off the bat, that is what will kickstart my weight loss.

No offense to you or anybody, but I see how people see 1200 and put blinders on to the rest of what I have to say :) 1200 isn't long term! I promise!
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    My opinion is that your plan is lacking and overcomplicated.

Eat a well balanced diet, including the foods you love in moderation. Enjoy said foods in a moderate deficit. Get some activity going, enjoy your life and ride the wave that comes with it.

That's the thing I think everyone is missing... I LOVE my lean proteins, veggies and fruits. That is what I enjoy now. I'm not asking if this plan will work for any of you lol But in all seriousness, I appreciate your opinions!

I'm also not starting from scratch here. I do have activity in my life.. and I do eat healthy for the most part. This plan is a matter of being a bit more strict with myself to get the results I want.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So you have a 4 month plan. What about the rest of your life? Temporary changes equal temporary results.

I will be eating at TDEE mainly. This is my weight loss plan. After this, I'll be able to just do maintenance.

Iit doesn't matter if you eat 1200 of LOTS of food or 1200 of crap food. You're still eating only 1200.
    You plan on doing 3-4 days of weights each day without eating any grains (carbs). Like above poster said: a plan to lose muscle mass and bone density.

I can see how you got to that logic, I juste have to say "in my honest opinion" that I don't agree with it. Sorry

I'll be eating at TDEE for the rest of my life, as I was quoting the gentleman above you who had the question.

And it does matter if I eat 1200 of lots of food.... they are nutrient-packed foods. I'm not malnutritioned by any means in eating 1200 calories. Sure, it's DEFINITELY not something that I can do long term. I may not even do it for the whole month. But right off the bat, that is what will kickstart my weight loss.

No offense to you or anybody, but I see how people see 1200 and put blinders on to the rest of what I have to say :) 1200 isn't long term! I promise!

you never made any point as to why you're eating below BMR for this fast-crash plan of yours.

If you're eating 1800-1900 now, are you losing? Maintaining? Why not just make a sustainable long-term change.

Also, there's no kickstart. Never has been. I find your "research" hasn't really been too far in-depth if you're planning on 4 months under BMR and think you can kickstart a diet.
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    You're aware that "eating healthy" also means eating an appropriate amount of calories to fuel yourself and that not feeling hungry isn't an indication of eating properly, right? I mean, I can be full on 1200 if I ate nothing but low calorie bulk foods but still be missing out on proper amount of fats, protein and micronutrients to sustain myself.

I do get the appropriate amount of fats, protein and macros, PROMISE!! :) Again, I'm not asking if it's right for you... which I suppose nobody would know if it is right for me or not, except for maybe doctors...
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

you never made any point as to why you're eating below BMR for this fast-crash plan of yours.

If you're eating 1800-1900 now, are you losing? Maintaining? Why not just make a sustainable long-term change.

Also, there's no kickstart. Never has been. I find your "research" hasn't really been too far in-depth if you're planning on 4 months under BMR and think you can kickstart a diet.

Just through what I've read, it's not a terrible plan to start. What I mean by "kick-start" is that I'll be able to lose water weight and a bit of fat right from the git-go. That's motivation for me. I KNOW I won't be able to do 1200 forever... which is why I never planned to do that. 3-4.5 weeks tops.

And let's not start with the little digs here. I really do love the feedback!

That being said, I think I have enough of it. I'll make the appropriate changes! Thanks, everybody!! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Look - you should be getting 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight or .8 grams per pound of total body weight.

That's 152 grams of protein. At 4 calories a gram, that's 608 calories based on total body weight since I don't know your lean weight.

You also have the physiological requirement of 0.35 grams of fat per pound of total body weight.

That's 67 grams of fat. At 9 calories a gram, that's 603 calories.

So, the minimum number of calories you should get to meet basic macro nutrient goals is 1211 calories a day. Of protein and fat. And that's not even counting energy for activity. That's just what your muscle needs to maintain itself and the fat you need for various metabolic functions.

Say good-bye to the grains and vegetables. Which will make it hard to meet your micronutrient goals.

There is no way for this to be "balanced"
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    My opinion is that your plan is lacking and overcomplicated.

Eat a well balanced diet, including the foods you love in moderation. Enjoy said foods in a moderate deficit. Get some activity going, enjoy your life and ride the wave that comes with it.

That's the thing I think everyone is missing... I LOVE my lean proteins, veggies and fruits. That is what I enjoy now. I'm not asking if this plan will work for any of you lol But in all seriousness, I appreciate your opinions!

I'm also not starting from scratch here. I do have activity in my life.. and I do eat healthy for the most part. This plan is a matter of being a bit more strict with myself to get the results I want.

To put it bluntly, then why are you overweight? There's an extra element here we're not getting that's put you in a position where you want to lose 40lbs. Whatever that element is will still be there if you manage to make it through your 4 month plan.

I just got off of the depo shot about a year ago, which actually made me lose about 20-25lbs, rather than gain. Consequently, I gained the weight back. Then, I moved 900 miles away and lived with my family where we ate out and drank a lot. So I gained an extra amount of weight on top of that.

Basically, my hormones are still out of whack, as I can tell with my TOM (sorry for TMI). My weight hasn't been consistent for about 3.5 years.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Just through what I've read, it's not a terrible plan to start. What I mean by "kick-start" is that I'll be able to lose water weight and a bit of fat right from the git-go. That's motivation for me. I KNOW I won't be able to do 1200 forever... which is why I never planned to do that. 3-4.5 weeks tops.

That being said, I think I have enough of it. I'll make the appropriate changes! Thanks, everybody!! :)

You'll lose water weight by eating at a deficit. First thing your body will do is strip the glycogen from your muscles.

You'll lose fat by eating at any sort of a deficit - a smaller deficit is better because you'll be more likely to lose fat and less likely to lose muscle instead. There is no need to get so complicated with it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure why you're asking for opinions if you clearly already have all the answers and know yourself so well. People are recommending you eat more (and who wouldn't want to?) and you can STILL lose weight. 1200 isn't enough for your body to basically function long term, and you're talking about exercising on top of that.

MFP is available to you to input everything you eat, you can set your own ratios for your macros, and helps you calculate what your calorie goal should be based on your goals to lose. Your eating plan is really up to you to figure out on YOUR preferences.
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure why you're asking for opinions if you clearly already have all the answers and know yourself so well. People are recommending you eat more (and who wouldn't want to?) and you can STILL lose weight. 1200 isn't enough for your body to basically function long term, and you're talking about exercising on top of that.

MFP is available to you to input everything you eat, you can set your own ratios for your macros, and helps you calculate what your calorie goal should be based on your goals to lose. Your eating plan is really up to you to figure out on YOUR preferences.

Yeah, I suppose I figured out that nobody will know what's best for me.. and that's why I said I'm not asking for opinions anymore :)

I don't have time for MFP logging all the time. And you're right, 1200 isn't enough for my body to function long term... which is probably why I'm not doing it long term.

I'm not on here to fight with anyone, but when opinions differ, there will be conversation on that. Everyone is just getting stuck on the short term 1200 calorie plan, that they can't see anything else beyond that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

no digs. I'm sorry you are taking criticism of your plan a little poorly though. I'm not sure why you ask for opinions. It seems like you're just seeking validation.
    You've yet to show where you did your research on eating under your bmr for months was coming from.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yeah, I suppose I figured out that nobody will know what's best for me.. and that's why I said I'm not asking for opinions anymore :)

I don't have time for MFP logging all the time. And you're right, 1200 isn't enough for my body to function long term... which is probably why I'm not doing it long term.

I'm not on here to fight with anyone, but when opinions differ, there will be conversation on that. Everyone is just getting stuck on the short term 1200 calorie plan, that they can't see anything else beyond that.

The rest of the plan isn't much better. Figure out your TDEE and take a deficit off of that, or do the MFP method. Simpler, easier and proven.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Logging food should take, at most, 15 minutes daily. At most. It takes me literally 2 minutes to log my day in the morning, and then I tweak the actual weights as I eat. It's not time consuming in any way.

Also, people aren't just getting stuck on your 1200 calorie plan. It's that your plan, in general, has flaws. You want an aggressive goal, and people are telling you to slow it down so you can maintain your muscles and bone density. You simply cannot do that on 1200 calories, no matter how 'healthy' you eat. 1200 calories is rarely appropriate for most people. There are all sorts of factors that go into that and who it IS appropriate for. And it's not appropriate for you. Not even in the short term. That's why people are taking issue with your research. Because any person who has done research, knows their BMR and TDEE etc, will know that at the very very least, they should eat their BMR, and more if they are exercising. By not doing so, you're only screwing yourself. It's no skin off our backs. If you want to ignore us, that's fine. But the honest truth/opinion of the matter is your plan needs work and more research so that you're NOT screwing yourself over.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options

I feel like you are putting an unrealistic time frame on your plan. How do you know for sure that at the end of the 4 months you'll be at the point of maintenance? I'm pretty small in general, but it took me A YEAR to lose these 30 lbs, and I'm still not at my "ideal" goal weight. It takes time and patience. It's very doubtful that you'll be ready for maintenance so soon. They say weight loss is not linear, and it sure as hell isn't predictable.

But good luck. Weight loss is a learning process; so I'm sure if you try this plan, you will learn if it was a good idea or not. My advice is to start with something less drastic and more sustainable, though. :flowerforyou:
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

no digs. I'm sorry you are taking criticism of your plan a little poorly though. I'm not sure why you ask for opinions. It seems like you're just seeking validation.
    You've yet to show where you did your research on eating under your bmr for months was coming from.

I don't remember you asking where I got the research... and I'm not taking it poorly. I've said that I really appreciate it, and I'll be making the tweaks necessary.

The rest of the plan isn't much better. Figure out your TDEE and take a deficit off of that, or do the MFP method. Simpler, easier and proven.

The problem with the TDEE is that it's not constant. Some weeks, I'm able to work out every day, sometimes twice a day. Other weeks, I'm unable to exercise at all. BMR is constant. When someone has so much fat on them, it's okay to be under BMR a bit.
    Hell, I might not even do it for 3 weeks.

And I really don't know why you keep telling me to stop making it complicated, because it's easy for me. I don't like MFP logging 5 times/day, and my TDEE is not the same from week to week.

Once again, I really do appreciate the feedback. After talking with you guys, I probably won't do 1200 for 1 month. I'll probably do it for a couple weeks, then eat at BMR, then TDEE once my lifestyle is able to be consistent.
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options

Logging food should take, at most, 15 minutes daily. At most. It takes me literally 2 minutes to log my day in the morning, and then I tweak the actual weights as I eat. It's not time consuming in any way.

Also, people aren't just getting stuck on your 1200 calorie plan. It's that your plan, in general, has flaws. You want an aggressive goal, and people are telling you to slow it down so you can maintain your muscles and bone density. You simply cannot do that on 1200 calories, no matter how 'healthy' you eat. 1200 calories is rarely appropriate for most people. There are all sorts of factors that go into that and who it IS appropriate for. And it's not appropriate for you. Not even in the short term. That's why people are taking issue with your research. Because any person who has done research, knows their BMR and TDEE etc, will know that at the very very least, they should eat their BMR, and more if they are exercising. By not doing so, you're only screwing yourself. It's no skin off our backs. If you want to ignore us, that's fine. But the honest truth/opinion of the matter is your plan needs work and more research so that you're NOT screwing yourself over.

:) I do not like logging. There's not going to be someone who convinces me to log by arguing with me on how long it takes. I don't like my nose stuck in my phone constantly, either. I'm ALWAYS busy. So thank you.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I don't remember you asking where I got the research... and I'm not taking it poorly. I've said that I really appreciate it, and I'll be making the tweaks necessary.

The problem with the TDEE is that it's not constant. Some weeks, I'm able to work out every day, sometimes twice a day. Other weeks, I'm unable to exercise at all. BMR is constant. When someone has so much fat on them, it's okay to be under BMR a bit.
    Hell, I might not even do it for 3 weeks.

And I really don't know why you keep telling me to stop making it complicated, because it's easy for me. I don't like MFP logging 5 times/day, and my TDEE is not the same from week to week.

Once again, I really do appreciate the feedback. After talking with you guys, I probably won't do 1200 for 1 month. I'll probably do it for a couple weeks, then eat at BMR, then TDEE once my lifestyle is able to be consistent.

How are you planning to ensure you are eating 1200 calories a day without tracking your food intake?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research, read many forums on here and on many many websites, and I think I've come up with a good plan for myself. I'd like to know what you guys think (honest opinions!).

First, I know how people feel about 1200 calorie/day diets, but I promise you, I eat entirely veggies and lean meats on the 1200 calorie diet. So there is a LOT of food that goes into my body on those days.

I am a 25 year old female. When I weighed 154 a couple years ago, I probably had around 10-15lbs to lose while lifting to be toned and fit.

I weigh 191 now, but I do not look BIG by any means. My BMR is 1687 right now.

Plan:
    Month 1: 1200 calories of lean meat, veggies and a little dairy only
    Month 2: 1500 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, adding in a little whole grain and more dairy
    Month 3: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy
    Month 4: 1600 calories of primarily lean meat and veggies, whole grain and dairy to maintain weight

I feel like I have 40-50lbs to lose TOTAL. My workout plan is 6 days/week. 45 minutes of Cardio 5x/week, lifting 3x-4x/week.

Also, I use olive oil and seeds for the right measure of fat in my diet.

I think you need to speak to a qualified nutritionist/trainer about this (there might be one on here, I found mine on the The Protein Works forum and have benefited greatly from his guidance), the internet has a very wide range of thoughts and views on nutrition and training. Some of it is good, a lot of it isn't and will contradict something else you've read. And the important thing to take from this is that very little of the information out there is specifically for you, your body, your weight, etc. It's just a general guide. I'm not saying what you've said is wrong for you - it's not my place to say. But I think you should seek our expert guidance on this.