Working out twice a week

Options
I recently started meeting with a personal trainer twice a week. Those are the only times I get to work out due to my full time job. (I go during work.) Will I see results with this? The workouts are really intense, i'm usually dripping sweat by the time we're finished. I started a low carb diet as well. Just wondering if I will start seeing results soon. I am trying to find the time to walk everyday but I am really busy after work.

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    any added activity should show results. Do what you can, when you can... It ALL adds up.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Twice a week is better than 0x a week. Keep it up and see how it goes. I would be careful not to go too low carb on your workout days because it can adversely effect your physical output. Good luck!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    yes 2x a week is better than nothing and you will see results but it may take you longer to see them. I also agree, be careful about not going too low on the carbs. carbs are your bodies energy source and if you are working out hard you will need them just make sure they are healthy carbs and not low or no nutrient carbs
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I recently started meeting with a personal trainer twice a week. Those are the only times I get to work out due to my full time job. (I go during work.) Will I see results with this? The workouts are really intense, i'm usually dripping sweat by the time we're finished. I started a low carb diet as well. Just wondering if I will start seeing results soon. I am trying to find the time to walk everyday but I am really busy after work.

Just make sure you stay true to your diet, or eating program.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    be wary of the low carb diet... you will lose weight... but eat a crouton and gain 5 lbs... what happens is the low carb prevents a build of glycogen? which the muscles require to convert to energy... an absence of glycogen, creates a lack of water in the muscle... and then...TaDAAAA!!! weight loss... the other foot fall is.. that... as soon as you begin to see results... you... decide to carb up... which erases all your gains.. which are actually losses... so YOU are NOT losing fat you are losing water... of course Ican't say what your trainer's plans are fo ryou.. diet is BUT one component of a LIFESTYLE CHANGE which is more than dieting... it's eating right... and exercising... so.. while a low carb diet will help you lose weight... it won't help to recompose your body fat to lean muscle mass percentage or ratio... which is what you strive for in a LIFESTYLE CHANGE... you wantto replace fat with muscle so that you can eat what you want.. when you want... and still have energy at the end of the day to exercise your face off because... well because eventually you convince yourself that you LOVE IT!!!

good luck
  • margarita344
    Options
    Hey !

I did three months as a test and the results blew me away , completely changed my body.

http://tinyurl.com/o68mj2p Try it
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    I think any added activity will help, whether it's 2 days a week or 5-6 days a week. Of course, you're going to see progress more quickly with more exercise, but that's to be expected.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of results you are wanting to see
  • Reel81
    Options
    be wary of the low carb diet... you will lose weight... but eat a crouton and gain 5 lbs... what happens is the low carb prevents a build of glycogen? which the muscles require to convert to energy... an absence of glycogen, creates a lack of water in the muscle... and then...TaDAAAA!!! weight loss... the other foot fall is.. that... as soon as you begin to see results... you... decide to carb up... which erases all your gains.. which are actually losses... so YOU are NOT losing fat you are losing water... of course Ican't say what your trainer's plans are fo ryou.. diet is BUT one component of a LIFESTYLE CHANGE which is more than dieting... it's eating right... and exercising... so.. while a low carb diet will help you lose weight... it won't help to recompose your body fat to lean muscle mass percentage or ratio... which is what you strive for in a LIFESTYLE CHANGE... you wantto replace fat with muscle so that you can eat what you want.. when you want... and still have energy at the end of the day to exercise your face off because... well because eventually you convince yourself that you LOVE IT!!!

good luck

Absolutely true for the first 10lbs or so (and yes they will come back, and be very angry, if you eat a crouton, lol), but the weight loss after that is genuine and as many people point out staying full and sticking with it using fat vs. carbs is a whole heck of a lot easier for some people. (me included). Don't dismiss low-carb just because of the initial water fluctuations.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about low carb, but I play badminton twice a week. I have been doing that over 3 years and only in the last 5 months have I lost weight. Counting my calories was the only difference.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandalou, I started with a PT 7 weeks ago, I see her 1x per week and we have a good workout! I aim to do 1x at home work out also of the program she has given me. Those two sessions are purposeful and I really try to work my hardest I can. In addition to that I do walks, jogs, bike rides etc when time allows... but I do try to do 2x PT sessions, 2x something else, each week. The more yuo can move the better things will get for you. But I am the same, only doing the official stuff, 2x per week.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    90% of losing weight is eating at a caloric deficit. I only workout 2-3x a week.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, then yes. If you are eating at a surplus, then no.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether or not you're at a deficit. Some people use workouts to lower their net calories for the day. Other people want to eat back all their calories, which usually means eating back more than was actually burned because MFP and gyms usually overestimate how much was burned.

Also, be careful when eliminating or significantly reducing food groups. You want to make sure you get proper nutrition. Carbs do often contain a lot of calories, but IMO a better idea would be to eat what you normally eat but in small portions. This is something that is sustainable even after you reach your goal. And best of all, you won't be tempted to binge because you can still have your treat... just less off it. Take a smaller piece of cake/pie. Have one or two cupcakes/cookies (depending on size and whether or not you've had other snacks that day). Everything in moderation.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    àWill I see results with this? The workouts are really intense, i'm usually dripping sweat by the time we're finished. I started a low carb diet as well. Just wondering if I will start seeing results soon.

It depends on what you mean by "results."

By working out twice a week, you'll improve your fitness—endurance, strength, and/or power, depending on what kind of workout you're doing. As Dr. Yoni Freedhoff says of physical activity, anything is good, more is better, do what you can within the other constraints on your life.

If by "results" you mean weight loss, that depends entirely on whether you're in a calorie deficit. A recent meta-analysis of weight loss studies found that most diets work, whether they are low-carb or low-fat, as long as the dieters can stick to them (source: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1900510). That suggests that the important thing is creating and sustaining a calorie deficit. Other studies have shown that eating protein with every meal increases satiety (feeling full), thereby making it easier to maintain a calorie deficit. But it's still the calorie deficit that's important. This blog post by Freedhoff is worth reading: http://greatist.com/health/yoni-freedhoff-count-calories