Wine?

Options
13»

Replies

• moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    YES STOP COMPLETELY! Now pass it over to me ..carefully not to spill any :devil:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Today - whilst no hangover, I just have not much energy.

This tends to be my attitude towards alcohol in general these days, as while not flattened usually the following day, I am more and more unlikely to be willing to sacrifice a portion of the following day due to recovering fully from the alcohol. When I do drink these days, it usually has to be worth it, or else I don't bother or drink relatively little.

Wine I find too insidious too, as there's always that pressure/ temptation to finish the bottle, so even if you only really cared for a glass, if you're drinking with a friend or a partner, it becomes half a bottle by default. As a result I tend to only touch it when its really good, or the occasion warrants it, and find this helps a lot.

Anyways, its all down to us to define our relationship with alcohol, and while I don't drink much these days, or rather very often, I don't intend to eliminate it completely. Instead as I go on, I find I draw more and more qualifications as to my alcohol consumption in terms of how much I drink and how regularly.

Still, nothing like a good beer, good red, or champagne in pretty much any form, I just make sure I'm drinking it by conscious choice instead of out of habit, lol. I hope to bring the same attitude to food when I'm done losing :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So glad the DW and I don't like wine. And I live in a wine making city!!! I have wine stored for guests, but last time I drank some was a sip for a toast at a reception.

Just for info: alcohol inhibits fat burning. So if a lot of one's calories is committed to alcohol, it may impede how weight loss from fat is going.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I've read this before, yes. What I understand is the body it burns it first, and won't burn other "things" til it's gone. Is that the story?
    Correct. Unlike other macros (though alcohol really doesn't fit into a true "carb" category) it can't be stored so it's metabolized until it's out of the body. So one of the worst times one could drink it is before going to bed because body fat is the main energy source used at rest, unless of course you had alcohol in your system.

IDEA Fitness member
    Is there anything else we ingest that can't be stored?
    Anyone?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    So glad the DW and I don't like wine. And I live in a wine making city!!! I have wine stored for guests, but last time I drank some was a sip for a toast at a reception.

Just for info: alcohol inhibits fat burning. So if a lot of one's calories is committed to alcohol, it may impede how weight loss from fat is going.

IDEA Fitness member
    I've read this before, yes. What I understand is the body it burns it first, and won't burn other "things" til it's gone. Is that the story?
    Correct. Unlike other macros (though alcohol really doesn't fit into a true "carb" category) it can't be stored so it's metabolized until it's out of the body. So one of the worst times one could drink it is before going to bed because body fat is the main energy source used at rest, unless of course you had alcohol in your system.

IDEA Fitness member
    Fiber, vitamin C. I don't have a list in front of me, but I'm sure there is lots more which is why there are essentials we eat daily.

IDEA Fitness member
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    Fiber, vitamin C. I don't have a list in front of me, but I'm sure there is lots more which is why there are essentials we eat daily.

IDEA Fitness member

Well, I drank before bed.
    Looks like I'm going to be a bear tonight and not burn fat while I sleep!
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to own a winemaking shop and have made wine my whole life.

I don't drink that much anymore, but I still make lots of wine. I love picking the fruit and turning it into something that makes my friends happy. Every batch I make is 30 bottles. Almost all of it gets given away.

On the rare occasions when I do want to have a drink, though, we use a carafe. It looks nicer than my reused bottles, and you tend not to get up and refill it. I would empty a bottle if I opened one too.
  • phumzilesiboza7
    phumzilesiboza7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! the Buzz Killington Award! love it!!! What a buzz kill!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    Fiber, hadn't thought about that one.
    Thanks.
    I suspect in 10 years that list is going to grow... Things that the body deals with like it deals with alcohol.....
    Thanks again for the reply.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think this provides a reasonable overview but it's geared towards lifters. You may want to give it a read.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/lifters-guide-to-alcohol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, I drank before bed.
    Looks like I'm going to be a bear tonight and not burn fat while I sleep!

Ditto!! Oh well! :ohwell: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think this provides a reasonable overview but it's geared towards lifters. You may want to give it a read.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/lifters-guide-to-alcohol

Nice link!

I consider social drinking an important part of my happy life. And so I have a pretty intense interest in how that drinking can affect my fitness and body fat goals. In addition to the link SunofaBeach provided above, here are several links I've collected over the past year or so:

Martin Berkhan's (LeanGains) take on it and advice: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Meno Henselmann's (Bayesian Bodybuilding) with an informative but sometimes tongue-in-cheek review: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-binge-drinking/

Alan Aragon: Interview on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBd4TqcBNgs

Cheers!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sorry to necro this thread, but it seems I've left people in the lurch with my wine-in-cans comment!

The brand is called Billyrock Station, I believe it is Australian. I live in Canada (East Coast), and we get 8oz/250ml cans at the liquor store! I always get the shiraz! And no confusing with a recyclable container, it legitimately is a CAN, like a pop/soda can. Easier to recycle/dispose of than a glass bottle, that's for sure :drinker: