is a 44 inch waist ok?

Options
I'm a male and my waist size is 44. I am wondering if that is ok. I am 5'11 and I weigh 228 right now. I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat too much,i just have a poor metabolism.

Replies

• bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 31.8, which puts you in the obese category I.

I would recommend checking with your doctor to see if you really have a thyroid problem, and perhaps seeing a nutritionist to go over your diet and make sure it's on track with weight loss.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Barring a true medical condition, I'd be willing to bet that you simply eat more than you think you do. Weigh all your stuff for a week. EVERY.SINGLE.BITE. Don't guess. Don't skip condiments or 'little bites'. I'd be willing to bet you'd be very surprised...

I wish you well on your journey
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What so you mean "okay"? If it's okay with you, it's okay with me.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You appear to have gained 8lbs since your 1st post a fortnight ago OP? :huh:
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    44" waist with those stats:huh:

I am 6'0 and at my highest was 235, but I never got higher than a 38" waist. You must have an odd figure.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..after reading OP's only other post...I sense a troll in the midst.

Too bad, I was legit trying to help.
  • nobody067
    Options
    why do you think that I'm a troll? I am serious about my weight and health. all of my excess fat is in my stomach area. I have insulin resistance and diabetes runs in my family. I really need to lose weight but I have very poor metabolism. I wanted to know what the normal waist size should be for someone my height.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    well I am 6 foot 4 227lbs and have a 40.5inch waist and still want to lose about another 30lbs' So yeah you've got a gut friend. If that's what you're asking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why do you think that I'm a troll? I am serious about my weight and health. all of my excess fat is in my stomach area. I have insulin resistance and diabetes runs in my family. I really need to lose weight but I have very poor metabolism. I wanted to know what the normal waist size should be for someone my height.

you dont have poor metabolism, you eat too much.
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    In Japan, if you have a waist size over 33.5", you have to undergo counselling and lose weight or you and your work company pay extra taxes. It's rather extreme and a little bit too low of a cut off point if you ask me, but maybe that makes the answer to your question a little bit more obvious?
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You should probably have somewhere in the range of 34 to 36 unless you are going for a set of six pack abs then it would be smaller. As previous posters have stated you are probably eating more than you think. The little things can add up quickly.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In Japan, if you have a waist size over 33.5", you have to undergo counselling and lose weight or you and your work company pay extra taxes. It's rather extreme and a little bit too low of a cut off point if you ask me, but maybe that makes the answer to your question a little bit more obvious?

For what it is worth, this is extremely controversial. I have a friend who is clearly underweight, but because he's tall, he was labeled "metabo" by this standard. You can see his ribs.

As for a "slow metabolism," OP, you don't have a slow metabolism. What you have is a failure to accurately weigh and measure your food and not enough physical activity.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm a male and my waist size is 44. I am wondering if that is ok. I am 5'11 and I weigh 228 right now. I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat too much,i just have a poor metabolism.

You eat too much. We all have the same metabolism. You either fail to accurately record the amount of food you are eating or you overestimate the calories you burn.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Do YOU feel like it's ok? Our opinions don't mean a thing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My waist is 44" and I'm 6'9" and only a handful of pounds under obese. Draw what conclusions you will.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

For what it is worth, this is extremely controversial. I have a friend who is clearly underweight, but because he's tall, he was labeled "metabo" by this standard. You can see his ribs.
    That is a ridiculous cutoff point. My fiance's waist is 34 and he is far from overweight. He could gain 50 pounds and still be at a healthy weight, practically.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    TROLLS...

th?id=HN.608007523587261564&pid=15.1&P=0

They're EVERYWHERE
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    A very general rule of thumb is that a waist measurement of more than 1/2 your height is a risk indicator for cardiovascular disease and other health issues. You are 71" so half that is 36". So I would say that a 44" waist is probably not great.

I'm guessing you want to lose some weight, since you're here. I agree with the other posters: accurately log what you eat, and don't blame a slow metabolism.

Check out these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants&page=1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here&page=1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach?hl=so+you+want+abs&page=1

They should help you getting started.

(Of course, if you're just looking for validation that you're okay as you are, there won't be much in what I said that is helpful :ohwell:)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    dswmedia! I'm so glad to see you're back!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No, it is not okay. But that is why you are here. Another poster said 34 to 36" waist and i agree. I am 5'7 and in a size 36 jeans (Down from a very very tight 40 jeans) right now with 39 lbs left to lose.....I am expecting to be in a 32 or 33 when i hit my goal of 180 lbs.

My adivice to you is to take this very seriously, MFP has tons of sucess stories. Read the forums, listen to the advice of the sucessful people, strive to meet your calorie goals, exercise, and most importantly log accurately (BUY A FOOD SCALE). You can do this.