Blood orange!

jessieinblue
jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I just ate my first ever blood orange and wow! I have not been living. Has anyone has one? Mine was the Moro variety, organic . . . I may never have a regular orange again!

Replies

• I've never had one. What's it like?
  • Yes they are awesome....... the blood orange juice is very good, also. I was or am rather a HUGE TRUE BLOOD fan and they had a drink that was made using blood orange juice. Very Yummy!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    What is a blood orange?
  • atcsjen
    atcsjen Posts: 5 Member
    I lived in Sicily for three years and LOVED the blood oranges! They are so good and the juice is awesome. I have yet to find anything that compares here in the US.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Where did you find it? I have never seen them in the stores.
  • jessieinblue
    I am not a big fan of fruit juices, but the blood orange is delicious so I'm sure it's tasty :)

CherLemos, on the outside it looks like any other orange, but the fruit on the inside is this amazing reddish-purple color. And the flavor is slightly different too. I don't know how to describe it. It almost tasted like it had a bit of raspberry in addition to the orange flavor.
  • jessieinblue
    Where did you find it? I have never seen them in the stores.

I found mine at my local hippie health food place.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Many grocery stores carry them, especially if they have a specialty section of imported items.
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    I've never heard of them. Never been a big fan of oranges either. And btw that's a terrible name! "blood" orange!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I've never heard of them. Never been a big fan of oranges either. And btw that's a terrible name! "blood" orange!

It is because the flesh is reddish / purple in color, LOL.............

I haven't met a citrus fruit I didn't like.

I even eat lemons by peeling them like an orange, LOL
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I have yet to find one in my area...may have to check out the health stores and see if they have them. I've been wanting to try them for forever now!
  • I've had them before my siblings "didn't like them" but i think they were creeped out that they were called "blood oranges" and were a diff color then regular oranges. I personally thought they were AwEsoMe!! and i found mine at costcos but that was a while ago im not sure if theyre still there or not like if its a seasonal thing or area thing..
  • lowlevelrebel
    lowlevelrebel Posts: 75 Member
    Blood oranges are the bomb! (do the kids still say that?)

I almost find they have this indescribable "spiced" falvour to them. So so good. And the colour is beautiful.
  • I said that the other day (that something was the bomb) and got laughed at, and I'm 17! So, no I guess they don't sat that anymore. lol And I really like the color too :)
  • Blood oranges are only in season from around December through March. That's why they can be hard to find. But any healthy grocery store should have them about now.
This discussion has been closed.