Sweet potatoes?

Options
I've never been much of a fan, but my local store was having a pretty good sale on them, so I bought a few. However, I have no idea what's the best way to make them. I'd prefer something pretty simple--I'm in college, after all, so my budget is sort of limited. Google keeps turning up these hugely elaborate and calorie filled recipes, and I just want a more 'tried and true' way to fix them. All of that to say: What's your favorite ways to prepare them?

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I microwave them, then mash with a little butter, cinnamon, and sugar free maple syrup. Heaven! No joke, it's like dessert.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    if you have access to a grill or oven: slice, lightly coat with olive oil(optional) and bake(grill)
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I don't like all the sweet stuff on mine....microwave, add some butter & sprinkle with salt. Ta-da. Doesn't get much easier or yummier!
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, roasted in the oven. Doesn't need anything on it. Also you can cut it into slices and cook it with some other vegies (peppers, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes etc) and you have a tasty, healthy side dish.

Love my sweet potatoes...nom nom
  • wellnessjunkie
    Options
    Wrap in tin foil, bake on 350 until soft. Gobble up!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    chop em up and bake into fries with just a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. so yummy! but you really can't go wrong with sweet potatoes, they are the best!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I usually make them into chips and then slow bake them with a spray of oil and some salt or other seasoning. AMAZE.

Theoretically you can do with them whatever you can do with a potato (I mean that with no creepy undertones btw!!)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I steam mine, bake or nuke them and eat them as is. No extra sugar, no butter....no nothing. They are plenty flavorful as they are.
    I also make a lot of Indian food based on leafy vegetables and add sweet potato cubes for variety, nourishment and extra calories. On rare occasions I also make oven baked french fries with them.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. They are great any way you slice and dice them.

Fast...peel, microwave and put whatever you prefer on top. I usually sprinkle 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of br. sugar on mine. Or a little butter and salt.

I like slicing them and putting them on a baking sheet and then put a pinch of brown sugar on each slice to melt and glaze over the top. Or with just a little olive oil to make home fries. Easier to slice than cut into fries for me.

Slice them extremely thin and toss with a little olive oil and course salt and put them in the oven for a potato chip 450 for around 25-30 minutes.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I microwave them, then mash with a little butter, cinnamon, and sugar free maple syrup. Heaven! No joke, it's like dessert.

This ^ yup
  • kspexet
    kspexet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make them in the microwave and put cinnamon and a little brown sugar on them. Sometimes, I leave off the brown sugar since they are so good!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Simplest thing in the world is to just toss the cubes with a LITTLE BIT of olive oil and bake.

Also, you can shred them and stir-fry them with onions or scallions and little bit of oil, soy sauce, and lime juice. Easy peasy.

Cut into thick slices and boil them in miso soup. Add a bit of spinach, scallions, and some noodles for a complete soup, maybe even add sausage. Also super easy.

I get frustrated when I try to google sweet potato recipes too, but mostly because so many people post those NASTY sweet deals that are full of maple syrup and/or cinnamon. Sweet potatoes should be prepared in savory fashion!!!
  • miss_vdb
    miss_vdb Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine for 4 mins while the oven heats up - then put them in the oven for 20 mins and mash it up with a glug of almond milk.

Usually eat it with some tuna or chicken to get my protein intake up.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Wrap in tin foil, bake on 350 until soft. Gobble up!

That's my go to as well... depending on the size it takes between an hour to an hour and a half.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Boil/bake in canned coconut milk or..
    Bake, then add some butter,cinnamon and brown sugar.

Both are heavenly.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Boil/bake in canned coconut milk or..
    Bake, then add some butter,cinnamon and brown sugar.

Both are heavenly.

Your profile pic cracks me up. My daughter recognized it immediately. Ah...Finn and Jake.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I just bake mine and then add margarine/butter and some garlic seasoning. They're also great to prepare sweet for a treat like mentioned above (cinnamon/brown sugar typically).

I also will cube them, toss them with a bit of olive oil and rosemary and bake them in a pan in the oven until they're just starting to carmelize a little.

Sweet potato fries are a great too; just slice them and add a little sea salt.

Or google around for a simple sweet potato and lentil curry. Sweet potatos are often the base of a lot of vegetarian meals. Try key words like "5 ingredient sweet potato recipe" and stuff like that.

But honestly, if you prepare them a few different ways and decide you don't like them, don't bother buying them again. We've all got some tastes we love and some we hate, and food doesn't need to be torture :)

Edit: Home-made sweet potato perogies or ravioli are also delicious; not a ton of ingredients, but a fair bit of work.
  • GeorgieS1983
    Options
    Roasted, steamed, mashed. I use them as alternatives on a healthy shepherds pie instead of normal potato. Also got a spiral slicer and that makes cool sweet potato spirals, which can be added raw to salad.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, roasted in the oven. Doesn't need anything on it.
    Oven roasted is the best. They can be sliced like french fries and oven roasted. I don't put anything on mine, either. They're so good just plain. In the summer I don't use the oven much so I wrap them in foil and pop them on the grill like a potato. Microwave "roasted" is okay in a pinch. Add chunks of 'em to slow-cooked chili for a thickener. Check out Forks Over Knives for a delicious chili with sweet potatoes.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Cut into thick slices and boil them in miso soup. Add a bit of spinach, scallions, and some noodles for a complete soup, maybe even add sausage. Also super easy.
    Mmmm, good idea!