Halp! I hate the taste of pretty much all "healthy" foods...

Options
Okay so, I just signed up to this website. Pretty happy I found it, hopefully it'll help me. I've tried to lose weight in the past but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to nutrition or fitness.

My biggest problem, by far, is that I have the tastebuds of a 9 year old. Now, I'm 23 years old, but the only foods I eat are horrible processed foods like mac 'n cheese, poptarts, cereal, and dinosaur chicken nuggets (nope, not joking).

I need some advice on "retraining" my tastebuds. I WANT to like foods like celery, broccoli, whole grain bread, etc. But they just taste so awful! I've read that I can slowly start to change my tastes by cutting back bit by bit on sugary and salty foods. I'm going to try that, but in the meantime, does anybody have any advice on how to eat healthier despite loathing traditional healthy foods?

Also, the main reason that I've grown so accustomed to such unhealthy and processed foods is because they're so easy to prepare. When I get hungry, I just pop something in the microwave and it's done. I hardly ever eat anything that takes me longer than 5 minutes to make. So all of these recipes and diet plans that I keep finding all over the internet...yeah I know I'm never going to use those. What healthy foods can I eat that are incredibly simple and quick to prepare?

Replies

• reneb28
    reneb28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe as you're trying to get accustomed to new "healthier" foods you should try working on portion control and figure out how much mac and cheese or chicken nuggets you can eat and still stay in your calorie goal. Try something new everyday, one a week, whatever works for you. By the way fruits and veggies take almost no time to prepare. losing weight is from a calorie deficit so really it can happen with whatever you eat as long as you eat less. However these foods will leave you hungry faster and you wont be able to eat as many nuggets as you could seasoned baked chicken. If you could spend one day to prepare a lot of chicken or other dish you could pop that in the micro in minutes also. Hope that helps somewhat..
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    My Inspirations

Better fashion options
    People like and trust people who are attractive

You might want to rethink why you are here.
  • vvillalo83
    vvillalo83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Start by SLOWLY making changes... it is hard and your body will crave the old foods. But it will be much easier if you take baby steps. Also, there are DELICIOUS healthy recipes that taste like desserts and all those Unhealthy foods. I have the biggest sweet tooth and struggled with finding the "healthy" versions of my favs. I follow a ton of healthy foodies on instagram and subscribe to their blogs. I get super easy recipes that are healthy but don't taste "healthy". Good luck on your health journey!! :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You start eating healthily, like green salads, vegis and fresh fruit and you will learn to love them. In fact you can get addicted to them, and eventually you will choose them over pop tarts. You just have to keep eating them.
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi - I can tell you a few things that worked in my house. Couple of questions first - Would you prefer to cook or buy healthy? If cook do you have a day during the week that you would be able to prepare some food for your freezer so that you can grab quick healthy ? It would make your life much easier.

When I introduced brown/multigrain/rye bread the sandwich had one slice white one slice of the new bread - i did the same with brown rice and whole wheat pasta. Easiest way to add veggies - salad or chopped veggies with lunch or supper or in spaghetti sauce, soup and stew. For chicken nuggets you could buy a pre cooked chicken or if feeling adventurous make a batch of you own for the freezer then cook as needed. Cereal add oatmeal couple times a week have a super quick recipe.

Ask away would be glad to help
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Every recipe on this site: skinnytaste.com is excellent. It's healthy food that doesn't taste like sadness and cardboard.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you start cooking for yourself, you will have a different feeling about the food you consume. For example, try cooking mac and cheese from scratch and you will realize that it is in an entirely different category compared to mac and cheese that you buy in a box.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone above - the best way to succeed in retraining your tastes is to go SLOW. Start adding veggies to the things you are already eating. Make one healthy substitution a day/week/whatever you can handle.

I'd also encourage you to spend some time in your kitchen and learn to enjoy preparing food for yourself. Just because it takes a little longer than 3 minutes in the microwave doesn't mean that time is wasted. You can learn to really feel rewarded and relaxed while making yourself food.

Look up beginner cooking classes in your area (adult ed, kitchen stores, etc. will have them), start reading healthy food blogs even if you're not ready to get in the kitchen just yet.

One of my faves, that makes cooking hilarious, is Thug Kitchen: http://thugkitchen.com/
    (NSFW, profanity).
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You don't like any fruit?
    My Inspirations

Better fashion options
    People like and trust people who are attractive

hmm op is this a joke?
  • RamonaFr
    Options
    Make bargains with yourself -- "before I eat that delicious whatever, I have to eat a cup of vegetables." Then cut some veggies into large chunks and put them into a glass bowl. Add 2 tablespoons full of water and cover with plastic. Microwave two to three minutes. Salt and eat. There -- healthy food under 5 minutes. After a while you'll find stuff that you like, and it will be easier.

I'm not the best but I've made what seems to me to be amazing changes over the years. I like my coffee with no sugar, I don't like candy any more except for very dark chocolate that tastes almost as bitter as coffee. I like homemade whole wheat bread, can't stand the supermarket stuff any more. I can put a teaspoon of butter on my toast and be satisfied, where I used to put a tablespoon or more. I almost never eat pastries any more -- cake, cookies and all that stuff. Except I eat Belvita which isn't very sweet and has a lot of fiber. I really like brown rice and oatmeal.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, the main reason that I've grown so accustomed to such unhealthy and processed foods is because they're so easy to prepare. When I get hungry, I just pop something in the microwave and it's done.
    Nothing wrong with the microwave. Look for tasty, healthy frozen dinners. Two brands I like are Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine. They have a wide variety of dinners. Learn to read the nutrition labels on the packages, and match them up with your nutrient targets here on the site. Very quick and easy!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You start eating healthily, like green salads, vegis and fresh fruit and you will learn to love them. In fact you can get addicted to them, and eventually you will choose them over pop tarts. You just have to keep eating them.

Pretty much said what I came in to say. You like what you like, because that's what you're used to eating.

It, also, helps to stop lumping all 'healthy' foods in one category. There are a LOT of them out there. I'm sure you haven't tried them all.

And lastly, there's nothing wrong with indulging in mac n cheese and chicken nuggets. Why not still eat those, but have some fresh vegetables on the side? Or why not try your hand at homemade chicken nuggets? Might be time consuming, but worth it.

For less time consuming options, there is no law that says home prepared foods cannot be made quickly and/or in the microwave. There are a ton of recipes online that can be.

I admit. Right now, I'm eating junk. That's more budget (ramen noodles and oatmeal... yum.. [I'm actually sick of both of them]) than preference. I miss my broccoli and apples and can't wait to get back to them.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If you want things you can pop in the microwave get the bags of veggies that you can steam in the bag. Pictsweet has some that are even seasoned a little bit that are not too bad.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are an adult, time to grow up and deal with it. Or don't and continue to be fat.

By the way, you can still eat that stuff just use self control.
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    oh that would suck u must feel awful eating all that processed stuff use portion control and deffinitly use multivitamins to help with general well being I hope u learn to like fresh fruit and veges soon for your health xoxoxoxox
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    have you tried celery with peanut butter? celery and carrot ssticks in humus or aioli? homemade potato chips thin sliced potato baked in olive oil with mixed herbs or lemon pepper sprinkled on them? fruit salad with sugar on top? (coconut sugar if you dare) or mixed in yoghurt... dried fruit? honey? gosh I hope these things help thinking of u
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I found it very helpful to not lump foods into categories of good vs. bad..... Are there foods that are more nutritious than others?? Well of course but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the foods you like and continue to lose weight or maintain weight or put on weight... Adjust your diet to work in some of those foods that are more nutritious preparing them in such a way that you find them edible (seasonings, etc) but also continue to eat the things you like... This is a lifestyle journey not something that has a beginning and an end,,, The sooner you learn that and practice moderation then the easier this journey becomes.... Best of Luck....
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions, such as fitting the food you like into your goals and making it yourself versus the kind you buy in the store. I know you say you don't want to have to take too much time to prepare food, but you don't have to do it on a daily basis to be healthy. Maybe pick one day of the week, like Sunday, where you take the time to prepare and freeze food that you can still grab and plop in the microwave.

Also, if you eat like a 9 year old, maybe you need to be creative the way a parent does with a 9 year old. If you like burgers, make your own where you steam carrots, peas, and broccoli that you blend in the food processor and add it to the hamburger meat. We've done this with my son (he's only 2 but already deciding what he likes and what he doesn't) and he loves them.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Now that you are in your twenties...it's time to get some sophistication into your 'teenage' eating habits. You yourself wrote how you need better fashion and enjoy dancing, etc., Well, let me tell you that a guy in their twenties that inhabit 'success' turns heads.

As previously mentioned, take some cooking classes geared towards something 'doable'.
    Incorporate one 'healthy' item each week - spices are wonderful.

You need to experience what wonderfully prepared 'healthy eating' really tastes like. It's doesn't have to be just a bunch of steamed vegetables with tofu!

It's not going to happen over night. My twenties weren't any different...but throughout my life I now couldn't imagine living/eating the way I use to. But the 'transition' was really gradual. I read lots and tried many things - education really opened my eyes to items that use the label of 'food'....when really most packaged items can be 'packaged chemicals'.

Remember, attitude is everything! Get excited about it! Who knows it might just spark a whole new you:))

Good luck