Smokeless Indoor Grillers

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
How do we feel about these?

Someone posted one that's a stove top variation and I kind of had a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY MOMENT"
But I'm trying to save and buy smart things and I've got my eye on some long term goals- but I know my BF really likes grilled meats- and likes blackened chicken etc etc.
We have a cast iron skillet so would this be something replacing/in addition to? I'm not uber picky- but if a cast iron gets you about the same results as one of these I'm not buying it... I NEED THOUGHTS!!!!

I think this was the one she posted (or one similar)- buuuuuutttt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002W2Q4OK?cache=b6d579826a5005c1a0413ad98332126b&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1409836182&sr=1-7#ref=mp_s_a_1_7

looking further I see quiet a few that are electric
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=indoor+grills+smokeless&tag=hydsma-20&index=garden&hvadid=46270021314&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4309480810209372655&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_8vdzdp0br3_b

anyway- thoughts?

I have a porch and a back yard- but I'm not grilling- I know- for shame. But I am one of those mosquito magnets- I get eaten within seconds of going outside if I'm not in transit- so cooking outside- it's not happening for me- plus I have to go through my bedroom which is a PITA- esp with cats. Seriously- my cats are the ones that like to run in front and then stop when you're walking. So no.

Cooking outside- not an option.

anyway thoughts?

I have a george forman- but I don't EVER use it- and I don't honestly like it- it's a huge PITA to clean- I don't like the way it cooks unevenly- and it's just- no. I should give it to someone who will use it- because I seriously don't.

I think BF dearest bought a flat electric number when he first moved- and it has a small "grill" section- but he said it's also a pain to clean and I think he threw it away after 2-3 months use.

so thoughts- what do you guys use to grill if you aren't big out door "grillers"

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you can't cook outside, sounds like a go. I use the BBQ 50% of the time, so to me its a necessity. Definitely read customer reviews on cleanup before deciding.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I grill outside all year long. Rain, shine or snow. Unfortunately our movers broke our grill. Now that summer is over, I'm getting a good one on sale. It just doesn't taste the same when grilled indoors.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm an outdoor grill kind of guy 70-80% of the time, year round, weather means nothing to me.

However back in the day, when I had no option for a outdoor grill (it lasted just over a year) I had a "George Foreman Grill" It worked pretty good. No where near as good as a propane or charcoal grill though.

So if an indoor grill is the only option, I think any of them would work. Hopefully they've gotten better over the last 10 years.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't use an indoor grill, but I use my George Foreman grill a ton. Mostly for sandwiches though. For meats, I usually use the broiler in my oven. However, nothing beats grilling outside. Outdoor grilling can make anything taste good, ANYTHING. Sorry I'm not helpful.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I don't need info on out door grills- and I'm so happy all of you grill outside LOL- but you're USELESS TO ME!!!! GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!!!

I can't grill outside. Seriously MISERABLE.

Has nothing to do with weather- it's the bugs- I seriously - I can't do it- I get eaten. It's completely unreasonable. I'd love to- I know out door grilling is the tits- but no. not happening.

So nothing? nobody has anything on them? bueller?

bueller?

cry cry- pout pout.

I don't trust my boiler- I almost set our house on fire years ago with one -and I never like the way the food tastes. :(
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about them we *ahem* have a grill that we use until it gets too cold to go outside (which is like end of September :laugh: ). Any way, when we want to grill we use our foreman (which if you get the one with the removable trays it's WAY easier to clean).

Anyway, I say buy one, try it and if you don't like it return it. I don't know if it will give you a grill taste though. It seems pretty inexpensive so if it's not something you like then you're not out a ton of $$.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Using your oven's Broiler is a good alternative to grilling and the food comes out tasting great. I actually bought a toaster oven with the ability to broil for that reason. I only cook a steak or two at a time or a few burgers so no point firing up the entire oven for that.

I'll broil steaks, chicken and burgers usually
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Okay... well I had dinner at my friend's house one night and she used an electric indoor grill. The food tasted pretty good. It didn't cause a TON of smoke/steam, but it would still be best to use on top of the oven so it's under the fan/ventilation system.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    These are wonderful. I don't know how it does it but it gives meat a charred grilled taste. Just make sure you get it really hot before putting the meat on. Also make sure you turn your vent on because it will smoke just like a outdoor grill. Easy to clean. Just use a ball of aluminum foil to scrape across the top then rinse with very hot water, dry well and it is ready to go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-Reversible-Pro-Grid-Iron-Griddle/12554406
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin so it's REALLY hard to grill for a good part of the year when we hit winter. The issue is just getting the grill to the temp it should be - which is almost impossible when it's negative something outside. This would be awesome. Right now we're just using an inside grill which is a lot like the George Forman one. It works for what I want it with, but I totally miss that actual GRILLED flavor!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    These are wonderful. I don't know how it does it but it gives meat a charred grilled taste. Just make sure you get it really hot before putting the meat on. Also make sure you turn your vent on because it will smoke just like a outdoor grill. Easy to clean. Just use a ball of aluminum foil to scrape across the top then rinse with very hot water, dry well and it is ready to go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-Reversible-Pro-Grid-Iron-Griddle/12554406

well if it smokes as much as an outdoor grill I don't know if that will work either- I don't have solid air flow through my place- and I have upstairs neighbors- my fan contraption works sort of- but no breezing through the house to help clear- and the ceiling fan- well- it's under someone's bed- and it's a little off balance- so mostly I can't use it.
    Anyway, I say buy one, try it and if you don't like it return it. I don't know if it will give you a grill taste though. It seems pretty inexpensive so if it's not something you like then you're not out a ton of $$.
    I'm thinking I might give it a shot- I mean- I don't care if it tastes JUST LIKE outdoor grilled food- I'm not a huge BBQ person- I like it but it's not like its the best food ever- it's just good food.

Worth a shot I think.

I'll see if I can twist my BF into buying it- i'm getting a new serger (new to me) today (SOOOOOOOOOOOEXCITED)- so- between that and rent- it's going to have to wait unless he gets it. I'll see- we have new chicken we are trying tonight ;)

I'll let you guys know!