Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Halp! I hate the taste of pretty much all "healthy" foods...

Replies

• jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Same here, I started "making myself eat salads, with dressing, then I moved to low fat dressing, then I stopped the dressing, and what do you know, I actually like salad, and veggies taste delicious, devoid of any seasoning or sauces, sure it took me a while to really appreciate them this way, but now I wouldn't have them any other. Like others have mentioned, just make small changes, maybe add some tomatoes or mushrooms or peas or peppers to your mac and cheese, and if you don't mind it too much, try it again with more veg and less mac and cheese. You just need to keep trying different things. And read the boxes of your favourite foods, then google the ingredients. That might put you off! Good luck :-)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Start shopping in the produce aisle. Veggies sliced and cooked with a little olive oil can be tasty. Add some lean meat like some chicken or fish. Costco has some really good chicken breasts that are individually wrapped add don't taste so salty.

For lunch a low carb wrap with chicken, guacamole and pepper jack or a subway 6" with no cheese, mayo or oil and lots of veggies with mustard. In a major rush you can always get a grilled chicken sandwich (400 calories) but skip the fries and sweetened drink.

Breakfast I cook 1/2 cup of the good old fashioned oatmeal (5 1/2 min) to make it palatable I add walnuts, chia seeds, almond milk, fresh strawberries, blueberries, and a banana. (about 900 calories but I run in the morning to make room)

I didn't always eat like this but between the weight loss, size reduction and better diet I also dropped 50 points off my cholesterol.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    You know the expression about old habits and how they die?

My advice is not to change everything at once. Jumping in head first and fully committing to a complete lifestyle change works for some people, but more people find success with being able to focus on one thing at a time. You may wish to figure out what you can most easily change first. If your goal is to have less or no processed foods, do it, and forget calories for a bit. I dropped weight watchers, but one of the plans they offered followed this idea. They had a list of nutrient rich foods that had less chemicals and empty fillers. On that plan, you could eat as much of those things as you wanted but nothing else and not focus on counting those calories. It may not help you lose weight, but will trend towards the more nutritious foods.

I myself could never make a plan like that work for me. I preferred some of the fillers and stuff. As such, a calorie based approach was a good start for me. I didn't force myself into vegetables and fruits and whole grains. My first goal was weight loss, and so I only calorie counted. For weeks, that meant frozen packaged meals. Low calorie, but I would never call them healthy. Chicken fingers and fries, fish and fries.

I started there. Then I got bored. With the pounds leaving and the exercise increasing, I felt I could take on the next step. Adding in healthier foods. More vegetables. I'm still not great with the veggies, but finally tuna salad in a pita with tomatoes and carrots sounds much much more appealing than lean cuisine's version of chicken.

You won't run a marathon on your fist day of exercise. You don't have to change all your eating habits in one day either.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    I agree with this :)
    Maybe as you're trying to get accustomed to new "healthier" foods you should try working on portion control and figure out how much mac and cheese or chicken nuggets you can eat and still stay in your calorie goal. Try something new everyday, one a week, whatever works for you. By the way fruits and veggies take almost no time to prepare. losing weight is from a calorie deficit so really it can happen with whatever you eat as long as you eat less. However these foods will leave you hungry faster and you wont be able to eat as many nuggets as you could seasoned baked chicken. If you could spend one day to prepare a lot of chicken or other dish you could pop that in the micro in minutes also. Hope that helps somewhat..
  • TheSafetyGuyMike
    TheSafetyGuyMike Posts: 10 Member
    Every Sunday I will fire up the grill and grill enough chicken, fish, steak, asparagus, zuchinni, squash, etc. to have lunch for the following week. I bought freezer containers and make all my lunches for the week in those containers and toss them in the freezer. Everyday I grab one throw it in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes and there you go, a healthy microwave dinner. You can even mix it up a bit adding different things for each day. It is alot easier to cook one day than cook everyday.

I hoe this helps you as much as it helped me.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member

My biggest problem, by far, is that I have the tastebuds of a 9 year old.

I need some advice on "retraining" my tastebuds. I WANT to like foods like celery, broccoli, whole grain bread, etc. But they just taste so awful!

unhealthy and processed foods is because they're so easy to prepare.

I kind of chopped up your post to highlight the main points.

First and foremost the definition of "healthy" foods can vary from one individual to another. Even if you do eat seemly "healthy" foods that does not mean you are getting adequate nutrition or consuming less calories than you burn.

What are your goals? This will largely help you determine what your definition of healthy will be. If you just want to lose weight and make sure you are getting proper nutrition, there's no reason to cut out processed foods and yes you can even have the mac'n cheese and chicken nuggets.

I recommend for you that you consider following the flexible dieting technique IIFYM (If it fits your macros). You eat what ever you want during the course the day while 1. Eating at a calorie goal appropriate to your goals, then 2. Making sure you are getting your recommended amount of protein, dietary fats and carbs.

With IIFYM I personally strive to at a minimum hit my protein and dietary fat goals for the day and the remainder of my calories go into anything I want, more fat/protein or carbs.

You do not have to eat broccoli, celery or other "health" foods to lose weight or be healthy in general. That being said I have nothing against veggies and whole foods, I think they are amazing, but not a requirement unless that's one of your goals. To someone on the Paleo diet, you would want to minimize the amount of processed foods you consume, if you just want to lose weight, that's irreverent, calories in vs calories out matters.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    You are responsible for your own attitude and choices. No one can help you with that; all up to you.

(Maybe your definition of "healthy food" could also be wrong? I LOVE my food but I do NOT avoid healthy fats - very much the opposite. But I do avoid foods that make me feel sick and trigger bingeing. When my body is not malnourished, I don't over-eat. Amazing. IIFYM and eating junk doesn't work for me, but apparently it does for a few people - at least temporarily.)

Cooking is not "hard". It's actually a lot of fun.
  • Healthy foods don't have to be bland or unfulfilling! Celery isn't the end-all be-all of healthy eating. I hate celery. I never eat it.

Try a bunch of things. Try salads made of tons of flavorful veggies, with (a healthy amount of) delicious dressing on top. Try cooking yourself big batches of healthy things that you can eat all week - my lunches this week consist of this awesome curried tofu salad I just discovered. It has a nice creamy, zingy sauce that is just SO tasty.

I also eat a lot of spicy hummus. I know a lot of people don't really like hummus because it CAN be kind of bland, but there are so many kinds out there that you just have to keep trying them. When you try a "healthy" food that is bland or boring, ask yourself how you could make it better. Are you a hot sauce person? Would you like a little melted low-fat cheese on top? Could you turn this into a sandwich with a little bit of wheat bread?

Maybe there are also ways to make the things you already like a little bit healthier? What about macaroni and cheese with wheat pasta and low-fat cheese, in reasonable portions? What about trying to transition from chicken nuggets to a nice grilled chicken salad? I LOVE pancakes and waffles, for example. Not usually the healthiest pick. But now I make my waffles from scratch with whole wheat flour and soy milk, I cut the sugar in the recipe drastically, I use real maple syrup (no high fructose corn syrup!), I add in some nuts for protein, and I watch my portions more. And I still get to eat my waffles some of the time!

I think you just need to keep trying things. As you get used to eating them, you'll crave them more, too... quitting soda and coffee was really hard for me, but now there's no way I'd drink either of them when there's a delicious cup of tea available to me. Once your body gets out of the habit of eating them, you'll want them a lot less. it's a tough transition to get through, but it does get easier!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    When I started changing my habits from lots of eating out and junk food I made slow small changes. Of course you don't have to cut out all the foods you like but below are some examples I used to cut calories.

Examples:
    Switching full fat dairy products to 2% products
    Cutting portion/serving sizes
    Adding a vegetable side to my dinner
    Switching regular soda for diet soda then switching to flavored carbonated water
    Adding fruit and nuts to salads (Jason's Deli & Mcalisters are a good place to get ideas on new salads)

Another thing you can do is try restaurant versions of new foods. For example I didn't eat much fish when I started eating healthier and wanted to try it but was intimidated by trying to cook it and make it taste good. So I would try it at a restaurant first to get ideas. Later I became a vegetarian and tried vegetarian meals/foods (like tofu and veggie burgers) at restaurants before trying to make them at home.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    I hate healthy foods as well! The only vegetable I will eat is corn, and potatoes if you count them. I've tried and tried and TRIED to like healthy food but I for one believe your tastes cannot be changed. I just try to stick to lean meats, and take a multivitamin. It's so hard to diet when you think every vegetable tastes like lawn clippings, I know. Good luck to you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I hate healthy foods as well! The only vegetable I will eat is corn, and potatoes if you count them. I've tried and tried and TRIED to like healthy food but I for one believe your tastes cannot be changed. I just try to stick to lean meats, and take a multivitamin. It's so hard to diet when you think every vegetable tastes like lawn clippings, I know. Good luck to you!

corn is barely a food- if it comes out the same way it goes in- you're getting nothing it from it- don't pat yourself on the back.

I don't eat lawn clippings so I don't know what they taste like- but seriously if you think that- you're doing it wrong. Even my picky a%% boyfriend will eat zucchini when sauteed in bacon grease.

As an adult you have to figure out how to feed yourself and either learn how to cook- or seriously learn what portions and calorie counts are and figure out now to not be hungry on "processed foods" which tend to be higher calorie and less filling (which means you are more likely to eat more)

Figure out how to cook things- TRY NEW THINGS. If you never try it- you will never learn.

And no- you can change your tastes- I've been anti-avocado for years. I've FINALLY started eating guacamole. Finally- I'm 30 years old and have never really truly eaten it.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member

corn is barely a food- if it comes out the same way it goes in- you're getting nothing it from it- don't pat yourself on the back.

I don't eat lawn clippings so I don't know what they taste like- but seriously if you think that- you're doing it wrong. Even my picky a%% boyfriend will eat zucchini when sauteed in bacon grease.

As an adult you have to figure out how to feed yourself and either learn how to cook- or seriously learn what portions and calorie counts are and figure out now to not be hungry on "processed foods" which tend to be higher calorie and less filling (which means you are more likely to eat more)

Figure out how to cook things- TRY NEW THINGS. If you never try it- you will never learn.

And no- you can change your tastes- I've been anti-avocado for years. I've FINALLY started eating guacamole. Finally- I'm 30 years old and have never really truly eaten it.

It's pretty obvious I wasn't bragging about what I eat, I KNOW corn is not the best vegetable. "As an adult" I can eat whatever I want to as long as I know I'm getting what I need and I do. I'm perfectly healthy and always have been. Just because I don't like certain foods doesn't mean I can't be healthy. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to eat salad...no matter what I do it's disgusting to me and that's not going to change. I just had to figure out what other foods are good for me that I like, and yes I try food all of the time. I can't stand it when people try to force me to like something, it's not going to happen!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    there are about a million other ways to eat green things without eating salads.

I eat a salad about 2x a month when I go out- I never eat them at home- but I eat veggies daily.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    If I could eat nothing but sandwiches and Lucky Charms, I would. But because I like being healthy (and not a fatass), I don't.

Buy and learn to use a crockpot, and your food will take very little time to make. I cook a massive amount of chili every 2 weeks, freeze it, and it take 2.5 minutes for me to heat it up for dinner every night.

Buy and learn to use a microwave steamer. You can steam fish and veggies in about 3 minutes.

Learn to like spicy, salty, grown-up food, and you'll realize what you've been missing. Take a cooking class, if necessary (girls love guys who can cook, anyway).

The only thing that takes me more than 5 minutes to cook is also the worst thing I eat: frozen pizza on the weekends.
  • TheSafetyGuyMike
    TheSafetyGuyMike Posts: 10 Member
    I hate to say it, but I have never eaten a salad in my life because I feel just as yoiu do, lettuce tastes like a blade of grass, maybe it is more of a texture thing. I can tell you that just recently I started adding spinach leaves to sandwiches and such and this has helped my a bit by adding just a little green. I do not eat celery, brocolli, cabbage, turnips, etc.I have tried them and literally gag trying to eat them, but I have started grilling alot more and decided to try zuchinni and squash on the grill, with red pepper flakes and a creole seasoning blend I made up (sparingly of course) and it is actually pretty good.

Go online and look for different ways to cook or eat some of the things you do not like and try them, you may be suprised.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have the same problem. The people at my job call me "kids menu," lol. But I found ways the sneak healthier options into my diet. I make smoothies in the morning, so I add 1.5 cups of frozen fruit and 3 cups of spinach and 1 cup of Minute Maid 15 lemonade (or you can use water). I promise all you will taste is the fruit.

Instead of frying French fries, I make either bake russet potato wedges or sweet potato fries. They both taste great. I've moved almost solely to the sweet potato fries bc sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes. If you don't want to make your own, try Alexis House Cut Fries (white potatoes) or Alexis Sweet Potato Fries and bake them in the oven.

You can still have chicken nuggets, but make them yourself. Buy chicken breast, cut them into chunks, and coat them in a little flour/cornmeal and fry them in a little olive oil. Just make sure you count the calories in the oil, flour, and cornmeal. I actually use a premade mix called Andy's Chicken Fry, but I know it's not available in all states or countries.

If you don't want to make your own, get Tysons' Anytizer Chicken Nuggets. They're great, I eat them for lunch. I bake them in the oven the night before and pack them in my lunch. It's whole chicken breast, with extra breading.

Corn is a vegetable that I actually enjoy (although some don't count it as a veggie, I still do), so I get frozen yellow corn and have that with my lunch.

Just try playing around with the foods you already enjoy and finding a less processed alternative.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Every Sunday I will fire up the grill and grill enough chicken, fish, steak, asparagus, zuchinni, squash, etc. to have lunch for the following week. I bought freezer containers and make all my lunches for the week in those containers and toss them in the freezer. Everyday I grab one throw it in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes and there you go, a healthy microwave dinner. You can even mix it up a bit adding different things for each day. It is alot easier to cook one day than cook everyday.

I hoe this helps you as much as it helped me.

This us great advice. Just add some vegetables slowly if you aren't too fond of them. Roasting vegetables is easy and they have a different flavor.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    A lot of good advice here. You just have to have the willpower to make better choices.

Once you start incorporating foods with less fat, calories, and/or sugar, your taste buds will adapt. There was a time in my life where I was pretty much a sugar addict; however, now I can barely eat a candy bar or piece of cake because they are too sweet.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Try adding veggies to the things you already like. Broccoli in your mac n cheese. Cut veggies up into small pieces.

Cauliflower is an awesome veggie! Toss it with oil, salt, pepper and roast it in the oven on 400 until it starts to brown. You can toss it up with hot sauce(or any sauce) to make fake "wings". Also, it can be mixed into your mac n cheese after roasted. This will act as a filler so you don't eat as many noodles.

Try sauces or dips on raw veggies for flavor. Carrots w/ hummus or celery w/ peanut butter. Beware of dips tho-usually a lot of calories!

Pureed veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, spinach can be added to most dishes. Think chili or soups/stews.

Also, put butter or cheese on cooked veggies. Not a crazy amount, but enough for flavor. And season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder. They taste a lot better with seasoings.

Omelets/scrambles are a great way to get veggies in. Dice up veggies and mix into eggs. Add cheese and salsa on top.

Also, invest in a crockpot. Its a great way to easily cook things without you in the kitchen. You can prep meals in zip lock bags, freeze the whole thing, then thaw it over night and put in the crockpot in the morning and it cooks while you are at work. And you can make a big batch, portion it out in containers in the fridge or freezer. These are great grab n go lunches or quick dinners.
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    I hate cooking for just me so here are some good things I eat:

Perdue white meat chicken slices, pre-cooked and ready to eat, either cold or warmed up
    Bag salad mixes, dressing included. I am addicted to the Lite Caesar, just romaine, croutons and dressing.
    Fruit, who doesn't like fruit?
    Morning Star Farms veggie burgers - they microwave in about 90 seconds and most are under 150 calories
    Grill it - I think almost anything tastes better cooked over open fire

I was a very picky eater when I first started my journey, now I eat almost everything.

Hope I have helped maybe a little