Healthy Breakfast for IBS

Options
Hi everyone,
I am a long-term IBS sufferer who is trying to lose weight. Currently I eat one packet of the Quaker Instant oatmeal, different flavors for variety. But I usually have to force myself to eat it and I feel nauseaous after eating. I eat about 30 mins after I wake up.
I am looking for suggestions from fellow IBS sufferers on what types of food I can eat for breakfast (I am getting tired of oatmeal). Also, would eating a little later after I wake cause problems with weight loss? Like if I waited for an hour and then ate.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My husband is an IBS sufferer as well. Weekends is typically 2 scrambled or sunnyside eggs with 2 slices of weight watchers multigrain toast. Weekdays he eats an entire grapefruit and 2 slices of the bread with natural peanut butter. It took him about 3 months of consistently eating breakfast for that nauseous feeling stopped.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've found that frosted mini-wheats, cheerios or rice krisipies help. I've started eating cream of wheat 'cause I don't really like oatmeal. I add raisons, walnuts or dried cranberries. Or I've found drinking decaf coffee seems to help for some reason. I usually wait 1/2 an hour to an hour before I eat. That doesn't help the upset stomach all the time but it seems to be making it a little better. And the other symptoms seem to get a little better with time too. Good luck!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with IBS (I still think it's something else), but don't have any issues with breakfast. By the time I am up and showered, I am getting hungry. Never worried about what to eat. Is that an issue with other IBS sufferers?
  • Bulgingbride
    Options
    It is difficult to generalise as different things can make IBS flare up for different people, wheat can be quite inflammatory for some people as can grapefruit. You could try the following:

-eggs on toast (substitute normal bread for rye bread or oatcakes if you find that bread bloats you or brings on your IBS)
    -vegetable and spinach omlette
    -oatmeal but make it with water and add natural yoghurt and cinnamon, that might be a nice alternative to your normal oatmeal
    -smoked salmon and cottage cheese
    -halloumi cheese with salad (could also add pancetta/ham/bacon to this)
    -buckwheat pancakes http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-buckwheat-pancakes/Detail.aspx
    -Greek salad

Hope this gives you some alternatives. Depending on how you are with fruit and nuts, you could make your own homemade mueslie with quinoa and oat flakes.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I have IBS recently dianosed (within the last year) and I haven't had any issues with breakfast. I usually just eat 1/2-3/4 cup of oatmeal with 1-1/2 cup of water microwaved then mixed in a frozen banana with a glass of milk or just a bowl of cereal. If I am going to go run though I usually I eat a small piece of fruit an hour or so before my workout so I don't have to end my run short.

Although depending on the day I will skip the milk because it really gets to me.