Artificial Colors, Flavors, and Sweeteners

Options
2»

Replies

• alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i just found that my vitamins have a bunch of artificial colorings :( i'm pretty disappointed! :(
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat these things every day. The majority of our food is home grown, raised or hunted. I don't worry about the artificial stuff in the things I buy from the store, but I think I might if it was a significant amount of my daily intake.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here worry about all of these artificial things we are consuming every day? I'm thinking mainly of the protein powders and Quest bars that I consume 5 days a week. There is so much controversy about whether or not these things are harmful, but what if they are? I'd like to think that the protein and fiber I get from these things make up for the negatives, but who knows?

If I could manage to get enough protein and fiber from food, I would give these up, but I can't seem to do that.

Absolutely.

I am a big label reader and I avoid items that have artificial sweeteners and HFCS. 1) It tastes nasty and 2) I honestly don't know the long-term effects it will have. Sure study XYZ says "No! It doesn't cause cancer!" but I'm not going to take the chance. Just because the Omnipotent FDA says something is "safe" doesn't mean I am going to trust or believe them. I'm also concerned about the artificial colors as well considering the majority of them are full of carcinogens.

I buy raw milk from a farm because I don't want all those hormones going through me (and I find it rather funny that companies pay MORE for non hormone milk). I make my own yogurt and want to start making my own cottage cheese as well. We also make our own ice cream which is phenomenal. I get my eggs from someone who sells them for $3 at their house. We planted a garden and have been canning and freezing everything that we have produced so we will have fresh veggies to eat for a long time. Hopefully my husbands friend will come hunt deer on our property this year so we will have an abundance of deer meat.

I want to get to a place where I rarely go to the grocery store. As it is now the only time we've gone to the store for anything was to pick something up for an outing over the weekend and to get some stuff to make relish. Before then I don't know when the last time I went grocery shopping was.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Questbar protein is not some lab chemical, it is from milk. They also use stevia and the closest to a chemical would be sucralose. I consider them refined but not artificial products.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here worry about all of these artificial things we are consuming every day? I'm thinking mainly of the protein powders and Quest bars that I consume 5 days a week. There is so much controversy about whether or not these things are harmful, but what if they are? I'd like to think that the protein and fiber I get from these things make up for the negatives, but who knows?

If I could manage to get enough protein and fiber from food, I would give these up, but I can't seem to do that.

Absolutely.

I am a big label reader and I avoid items that have artificial sweeteners and HFCS. 1) It tastes nasty and 2) I honestly don't know the long-term effects it will have. Sure study XYZ says "No! It doesn't cause cancer!" but I'm not going to take the chance. Just because the Omnipotent FDA says something is "safe" doesn't mean I am going to trust or believe them. I'm also concerned about the artificial colors as well considering the majority of them are full of carcinogens.

I buy raw milk from a farm because I don't want all those hormones going through me (and I find it rather funny that companies pay MORE for non hormone milk). I make my own yogurt and want to start making my own cottage cheese as well. We also make our own ice cream which is phenomenal. I get my eggs from someone who sells them for $3 at their house. We planted a garden and have been canning and freezing everything that we have produced so we will have fresh veggies to eat for a long time. Hopefully my husbands friend will come hunt deer on our property this year so we will have an abundance of deer meat.

I want to get to a place where I rarely go to the grocery store. As it is now the only time we've gone to the store for anything was to pick something up for an outing over the weekend and to get some stuff to make relish. Before then I don't know when the last time I went grocery shopping was.

Wow. Do you live out in the country?