can you tone and with dumbells

Options
We have a gym at work but the only weights available are dumbbells and a weight machine. I am at goal but still have a spare tire I would like to get toned but am at a loss at where to start.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit
  • TammyVieu
    TammyVieu Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure that would be wise since I am 5' 3 and weigh 116.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

'toning up' is essentially losing bodyfat... you do that by being in a calorie deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get stronger and more fit with just dumbbells. Here are a few exercises to work on. If you google them plus the word "dumbbell" you will likely find several videos to show you proper form:

One arm rows
    Bench press
    Overhead press
    Bicep curls
    Lying tricep extensions
    Squats
    Romanian deadlifts
  • TammyVieu
    Options
    Ok I am confused now. Maybe I was too vauge. I have some leftover skin and fat on my abdomen and I would like to add muscle to this area to even things out. I was under the impression that if you want to build muscle you eat a surplus.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started at 5lb and now am up to 10lb and woke up this morning very sore..so id assume you can tone with dumbbells. :-)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ok I am confused now. Maybe I was too vauge. I have some leftover skin and fat on my abdomen and I would like to add muscle to this area to even things out. I was under the impression that if you want to build muscle you eat a surplus.

If you have never lifted you dont need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle.

My definition of "toned" is decreasing BF% and adding muscle. Both of which can be accomplished with lifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is a vague term. It means different things to different people. To me, it brings to mind pink dumbbell routines from Glamour magazine. To other people it means losing weight. And so on and so on.

Bottom line, though, it sounds like the OP wants to build some muscle and the way to do that is through some sort of strength training. Using heavier weights (i.e., whatever is heavy for you, doesn't have to be a barbell) is a great way to do it Just keep in mind, OP, that your genetics are going to play into your final body shape. Yes, you can work specific muscles to get them stronger. But we all tend to have specific areas that lag or gain at varying rates, just like you likely had different areas of your body that lost fat at varying rates.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

'toning up' is essentially losing bodyfat... you do that by being in a calorie deficit.

^this AND you have to HAVE some muscle or you will look "skinny fat". I always say "toned" is the absence of fat and the presence of muscle. Most women can lose the fat but unfortunately a lot of them are either afraid to get "too big" or won't put the work in to build muscle.
  • TammyVieu
    Options
    Thanks to all.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tammy-there are a few books on lifting for women that you might look into for more guidance.

New Rules of Lifting for Women has a full program (granted-you would have to modify some of the exercises but again-google 'X dumbbell' to see a dumbbell version of something). I've used it and its a great, super informative book with lots of guidance on what to eat (and how much), what exercises to do, etc and it comes complete with a full, multistage workout plan

Another is Strong Curves-this one isn't quite as informative but also has TONS of exercises that can be done with dumbbells as well as beginner and advanced programs (it has a huge index of exercises you can do in place of one thing or another if you don't have access to the appropriate equipment-which would likely be helpful for you). It focuses slightly more on building a better butt, but is in fact a full body program as well.

I read NROLFW and followed it for a while, and now I am trying out Strong Curves. You can probably find them at your local library if you hesitate to buy them right away. But-they would give you a lot of guidance in terms of food, exercises, building muscle, and getting more "toned. "
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to do a recomposition. Eat at maintenance and get on a lifting program, dumbells are fine i prefer them still for my upper body work. Bodybuilding.com has good easy to understand programs. Your weight will probably creep up some but that is okay, its difficult to not fixate on the scale especially after reaching goal. In hindsight had you been lifting during your weight loss you would have maintained that muscle and have the "toned" look you now desire. You probably would have been quite satisfied with your body at 120-125 lbs.