What does lifting heavy do?

Options
Hi, I'm kind of newbie here. I'm training with a trainer 3 times a week lifting weights. I'm petite and started off with 3 lbs. Believe me by the 3rd reps I was done. Now after completing my 3rd week, I'm lifting 10lbs which is great and I do see improvement on my strength.

Questions is what does this lifting do for my body other than toning? I asked to focus more on arms, legs, and core but overall body toning. I see a huge difference on my glutes. However, no improvement on my abs. I feel as if my stomach has gotten even bigger.

Also, literally learned about eating deficit yesterday. I was barely eating 1100 and my intake should be 1378. Bumped it up today. Could it be that my diet was too low for me to lose all that fat?

How does this work? How does it NOT work? I also do beginner's yoga for 30 minutes before work out. Shouldn't that help too? Do I really need to blast out cardio?

I DON'T mind increasing weight but I do I mind bigger hips. I want smaller hips so I can fit into my pants. Please help me understand.

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy helps increase your strength (as you are seeing) and, depending on whether you are cutting or bulking, it will help maintain/preserve muscle mass, or increase it.

Cutting = eating at a deficit so as to lose weight, optimally to lose fat and not muscle.
    Bulking = eating at a surplus so as to gain muscle mass.

As for abs: One thing to recognize is that you cannot target fat loss. When your body starts to burn fat from your body, it will take the fat from all over. Your stomach may feel bigger, and actually be bigger, because you're developing the muscles underneath the fat. The muscles get bigger, the fat stays the same, so you will gain size as a whole.

Lifting Heavy: this is basically a requirement for building strength. The "toned" look you are after is a product of muscle mass and low body fat percentage. Unfortunately you cannot really do both at the same time (add muscle and cut fat). It's more or less a one-or-the-other approach. Most often what happens is people choose to cut first, eating at a deficit and cutting body fat. To ensure that more fat is lost and less muscle is lost during this process of cutting, strength training - lifting heavy - is done to preserve the muscle you already have (because if you don't lift, you will lose fat AND muscle).

Once you've reached a low enough body fat percentage to be happy, then you can choose to add additional muscle, if you wish, but eating a slight caloric surplus and continuing to lift heavy.

You do not need to "blast out" cardio to lose body fat. Walking is an effective enough cardio exercise to sufficiently create a larger calorie deficit for weight loss.

What you want to do, ideally, is eat at a slight caloric deficit, and then create a larger deficit through exercise. Everything you do, from strength training to yoga to walking or running, will burn calories.

Maintain a consistent deficit and you will lose weight.
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Your explanation helps a lot. I wasn't eating at deficit since I barely learned about it yesterday. I was also lifting (heavy at least for me). This explains why my pants are getting tighter around my waist. It's probably muscle gain and no fat loss. Bottom line is I need to eat at deficit to see some results and keep doing my exercise. Great! I think I'm off to a good start. So excited!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy helps increase your strength (as you are seeing) and, depending on whether you are cutting or bulking, it will help maintain/preserve muscle mass, or increase it.

Cutting = eating at a deficit so as to lose weight, optimally to lose fat and not muscle.

As for abs: One thing to recognize is that you cannot target fat loss. When your body starts to burn fat from your body, it will take the fat from all over. Your stomach may feel bigger, and actually be bigger, because you're developing the muscles underneath the fat. The muscles get bigger, the fat stays the same, so you will gain size as a whole.

Lifting Heavy: this is basically a requirement for building strength. The "toned" look you are after is a product of muscle mass and low body fat percentage. Unfortunately you cannot really do both at the same time (add muscle and cut fat). It's more or less a one-or-the-other approach. Most often what happens is people choose to cut first, eating at a deficit and cutting body fat. To ensure that more fat is lost and less muscle is lost during this process of cutting, strength training - lifting heavy - is done to preserve the muscle you already have (because if you don't lift, you will lose fat AND muscle).

Once you've reached a low enough body fat percentage to be happy, then you can choose to add additional muscle, if you wish, but eating a slight caloric surplus and continuing to lift heavy.

You do not need to "blast out" cardio to lose body fat. Walking is an effective enough cardio exercise to sufficiently create a larger calorie deficit for weight loss.

What you want to do, ideally, is eat at a slight caloric deficit, and then create a larger deficit through exercise. Everything you do, from strength training to yoga to walking or running, will burn calories.

everything he said+++
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

So if i cannot add muscle and cut fat at the same time, should i even bother lifting weights if i am in weight loss mode?

Thanks, CF.
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options

• christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    this is very helpful to me too thanks....I been having a really hard time...great info:happy:
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

So if i cannot add muscle and cut fat at the same time, should i even bother lifting weights if i am in weight loss mode?

Thanks, CF.

Yes, absolutely keep lifting while you are in weight loss mode! It will build strength and help your body to retain the muscle you already have while it burns off the fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thanks, CF.

well if you want to lose muscle AND fat then sure- don't lift.

But lifting while you're losing helps maximize FAT loss. Because weight loss =/= fat loss.

weight is just weight- could be coming from anywhere- water- waste- fat- muscle.

I personally like to lose body fat- so I lift when I'm losing. Means I stay strong- and look good when I get to my optimal goal.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting. Get on that barbell. Every part of your body will benefit.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    great responses...thank you all.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Regarding your strength gains from 3 weeks of working out, they are neuro-muscular at this point meaning you are training your nervous system to work more efficiently. It takes a long time to add actual muscle mass.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Lifting will not give you bigger hips, quite the contrary. ;)

Lifting is good for so many things...but definitely make you look more trim and compact. As long as your diet is on key (and yes, you need to eat more than 1000 a day no matter what) there is no limit to what your body can achieve.
  • colors_fade
    Options

Thanks, CF.

YES!

It is critical to preserving the precious muscle you already have!

When you eat at a deficit, you're going to lose fat AND muscle. But strength training can minimize the muscle loss.
  • colors_fade
    Options
    Regarding your strength gains from 3 weeks of working out, they are neuro-muscular at this point meaning you are training your nervous system to work more efficiently. It takes a long time to add actual muscle mass.

Great point, and so important for beginners to understand. Just because you can push more weight around after a couple weeks and are getting "stronger" doesn't mean you automatically have more muscles (or more accurately, I suppose, bigger muscles).

Muscle growth requires a lot of things. Extra fuel (in the form of calories), testosterone, and time. They don't grow quickly, that's for sure.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Please come join the group at Stronglifts 5x5 for Women- you'll learn tons!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Great point, and so important for beginners to understand. Just because you can push more weight around after a couple weeks and are getting "stronger" doesn't mean you automatically have more muscles (or more accurately, I suppose, bigger muscles).

Muscle growth requires a lot of things. Extra fuel (in the form of calories), testosterone, and time. They don't grow quickly, that's for sure.

On a couple points here...not just this post.

Yes you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time...but that is while eating at maitenance or a very small deficit. It is called recomp.

Yes you can gain muscle while at a deficit if you are new to lifting or obese...those gains will be small and short lived but doable...

Not saying that has happened here but...it is possible.

Normally for building muscle you do need a surplus and a progressive load lifting program.

For recomp you need patience as it takes a while.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Noob gains aren't always small. One blessing of being very fat or obese is that your fat can metabolize lots of calories. And so can cover even large deficits. If your body is getting all it's TDEE from diet and fat there is no need for it to compromise protein synthesis. So while as a general rule gains are impossible at a deficit. For some people this does not hold true. Especially those with a decent amount of weight to lose. Sure it will eventually plateau. Usually because they have lost enough weight that your body can no longer afford not to dip into dietary protein for essential calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I also want to point out that resistance training will also maintain metabolic functions, maintain strong bones and help offset disease like osteoporosis <-- big for women.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to be rude, so hear me out. You can lift more than 10 lbs. You say you're "petite," but a toddler can lift more than 3 lbs, which is the weight you say you started at, so just how petite are you? 2 feet tall? I'm not making fun of you for potentially being weak - I'm suggesting that you're underestimating your own strength. Most women are able to start with the bar (45 lbs) on squats and bench press and a bit more on deadlifts (I started with 95 lbs with no prior lifting experience). "Feeling a burn" on the third rep doesn't mean that's as heavy as you can go. I just really doubt that you're some special butterfly that legitimately can't lift more than 10 lbs unless you have some sort of medical issue. If you can pick up a one-year-old, you're lifting more than 10 lbs. Hell, I've picked up purses that were more than 10 lbs.

Lift heavier. Just try it. I think you'll surprise yourself. Don't let the "I'm a petite little lady" excuse hold you back from getting as much out of your workout as you possibly can.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Absolutely YES