Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I eat some back, not all. Understanding that the calories burned is not an exact science, I prefer to have a bit of a buffer.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat them back for cardio but not for the weights. I am already at a 1000 calorie a day defecit for a 2lb weight loss per week. I exercise to buiild my cardiovascular health. Its not a race and I dont want to lose more than 2 lbs per week as I want to lose fat and not muscle.
  • golfgirl15
    golfgirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat some back, not all. Understanding that the calories burned is not an exact science, I prefer to have a bit of a buffer.

Same here.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't!
    Do!

(Love a good debate!)
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Yes I eat mine back, and at 1200 calories (which is far too low to live on) you should DEFINITELY eat yours back. I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor, though not 100% accurate they will provide the best estimate on what you have burned. Don't starve yourself.

This.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its the only reason i run
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I actually changed my diary and set it to maintenance... and try to shoot for a 400-500 deficit from Maintenance plus exercise calories (from fitbit). Somehow just seeing that number "you have 500 calories left" is much easier/much more motivating than worrying about that "net" number... esp since they changed the new app and it doesn't show the net figure anymore. As long as my "calories left" number is somewhere around 400-500 I'm happy.
  • Adubmarie87
    Adubmarie87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No, I tend not to eat them. As long as you eat 1200 a day it shouldn't matter. Any lower and your metabolism will come to a screeching halt. I eat about 1500 a day and my workouts I input stays around 200-300 calories lost making it seem like I only eat 1200 a day if that makes sense.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat mine back.... Got fuel up from the workouts I demand of my body to do.... If your using the MFP approach then yes you need to eat them back because your deficit is already built in. If you are use the TDEE approach then no you won't eat them back........ best of Luck
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat mine back, and at 1200 calories (which is far too low to live on) you should DEFINITELY eat yours back. I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor, though not 100% accurate they will provide the best estimate on what you have burned. Don't starve yourself.

far too low to live on? Is a ridiculous statement. Depending on someone's weight, height, and BMR 1200 calories CAN be sustainable.

OP-I don't eat mine back but I also use the TDEE-20% method. So my exercise is factored into my daily allowance.
    I do agree with the HR suggestion, its a much more accurate way to gage your calorie burn.

Glad to see someone feels as I do; 1200 calories a day is not too low to live on!

OP - I don't usually eat mine back but know they're there should I get any cravings. If no cravings, I am that much happier with myself for the daily accomplishment. ;0)

I don't punish myself from food though my tastes have changed since trying to get back into better health and I don't crave the junk I used to, as much. :)

Good luck with things!
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine either. I'm actually finding it very difficult to consume the entire 1200 calories. :happy:
  • FeefWV
    Options
    I replaced bread and pasta with steel oats, Bulgar wheat, and qunioa. I've always used ground flax seed. I do keep Wasa light rye crackers in the house. I'm a carbohydrate maniac! Seriously. I'm not too keen on protein but I force myself to eat it. :laugh:
  • FeefWV
    Options
    I agree with that. If you don't eat, your metabolism does slow down because it thinks you're trying to starve yourself. It's hard for me to exercise anymore because of my bad left knee. I used to be a runner and walked to work every day. With my recent retirement and the arthritis in my knee, I've really begun putting on weight. I LOVE this site! Keeps me accountable.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do people actually read how this site works?

I certainly agree with whoever said that cals are not an exact science, eat the majority back and a lot depends on how you are getting your cals burned number - if you are using the treadmill, ten maybe consider investing in a reasonably priced heart rate monitor which might give yu a closer figure for cardio cals burned.

But my answer is yes - I do eat most back ... I use an HRM for most exercise and I try and weigh food etc to log as accurately as is reasonable.