Sore. What to do?

Options
I started the 30 day shred yesterday and my quadriceps are super sore -like, I can feel the burn walking up stairs. Should I take the day off or is it okay to do the shred again?

Replies

• mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am on day 7 of the Shred. Stick with it and the soreness will go away. I think I was sore for about 3 days. It was mostly my legs too. Had a lot of trouble just sitting down. Actually doing the workout that 2nd day didn't really bother me. By day 7 I feel great minus a sore butt. ( I did great on my lunges last night :)). Good luck
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Try an Epsom salt bath soak. That usually does the trick for me. And also stretching.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps, and so does having a protein shake immediately after exercising. If you use a fast acting protein like whey the protein will get to your muscles faster and will help them recover better.
  • cherylknaack
    Options
    I joined a gym in November and got a trainer.She worked my legs for 1 hour the first day and i couldnt walk, sit or bend without a ton of pain and i didnt do anything else that week. I asked her about it and she told me to work through the pain and i would feel better next time. And she was right, the next time i had a sore area, i worked out the next day and it was really hard, but in a matter of an hour i felt great! Hope that helps you too!!
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that you should try to stick with it. I've done the 30 day shred, and the thing that I think is lacking is the stretching period after the circuit training. Stretching more (without bouncing and not for more than 10 seconds a stretch, because that tears muscle fibers) should help.
  • mommashelbs
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for all the advice!
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    You can lighten the intensity, but keep at it. The reason why you're sore is because you're working muscles that aren't normally worked on a regular basis.

The more you work out the less your body is prone to being sore.

When you work out remember to stretch as much as you can. What also helps is eating protein rich foods after your workout to repair your muscles. When I do heavy lifting I drink whey right after and my recovery is much quicker.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink a lot as well, the water will flush the lactic acid out of your body which is what makes you sore.
  • mommashelbs
    Options
    Okay.

-more water.
    -whey protein after work out.
    -stretch more.

I think I can handle that.

What brand of whey protein is the best but still relatively cheap?
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    I was just about to post this same thing. I'm on day 8 of level 1 and honestly feel like I pulled something in both quads. I know what the normal soreness feels like and this isn't it. Normally when I push through, I won't feel the soreness anymore but this is effecting how I can do the squats and the other leg exercises. I have just been modifying some things to get through it because I'm determined to do the 30 days consecutively! I think we'll both feel better if we do push ourselves to stick with it...in pain or not! LOL No pain, no gain, right?
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    What brand of whey protein is the best but still relatively cheap?
    Depending on your protein needs, you could probably get your protein needs from food alone. You could drink lowfat milk after a workout for recovery.

The advantage of whey protein is that its the leanest way to get protein to your body. The brand I use is Optimum Nutrition, but its kinda expensive.

Here's a relatively cheap decent brand
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-2lb-Vanilla-Whey-Protein/10322404?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10322404

Me personally I don't like Vanilla, I would go with chocolate and you can probably pick it up at your local walmart/grocery store.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is a lactic acid build up, you need to flush it out of your system, lots of water and keep working out, really the worst thing you can do is not work out. Once your muscles get used to working out, you will not have this “burn”.