Healthy Side Dishes???....Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are very new to dieting. We've only been trying for about 2 weeks. We have both lost weight and are happy about our progress; however, we are running out of healthy food ideas. We eat a lot of broccoli, salads, green beans, carrots, and vegetable medleys, but all of these are getting old. We need some new ideas.

Can you list some of your favorite side dishes and maybe even how you cook or prepare them? You can even list good main dish recipes if you want...any and all is helpful!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Follow me on instagram for meal ideas if you want it's in my bio on my profile.

I honestly only ever have veggies, I primarily BBQ them since it's that time of year... in the winter I break out the George Foreman at least a few times a week to get the same thing.

One of my favorite things is veggie skewers, (I use minced garlic and S&P w/ EVO for everything...that is it) on the BBQ... soooOOOOoo good!!! I use allot of mustard when cooking also!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Healthy or not is a matter of opinion. Sometimes it IS the size that counts. :)

For veggies, I mostly do salads/raw veggies or baked/steamed. Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli all do well to bake or steam. Toss w/ some olive oil, spices, maybe even parmesan cheese first. Potato wedges, rice/pasta sides, etc. get a bad rep but are fine in reasonable amounts. For me that tends to be 100-150 calories, for hubby (higher allowance) he can eat more and still be in a reasonable deficit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to do whatever the hell you want to do with the food. Take a look at how they eat in other countries and bits and pieces that you like. Want some egg in that rice dish? Toss it in!

Never be afraid to make yourself something weird or that nobody else would ever eat. If it tastes good to you, that's all that matters. So what if other people would never eat it?

Mix stuff up, see how it turns out. :)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Try a stir fry with lots of veggies and your choice of protein. Add a little sauce and some rice. Depending on the proportions, it's a pretty balanced meal and not a lot of calories :)
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try roasting squash and zucchini. Also try sweet potato fries you can bake these in the oven.
  • MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies! I've definitely seen some things I've never thought of. I can't wait to get started on some of these ideas!

Keep 'em coming! LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash w/ mushroom gravy (mushrooms, a little olive oil and flour, stock or water. This squash, or thinly sliced zucchini or yellow squash, are also really good with pesto, or tomatoes and garlic sauteed in olive oil or butter.

Roasted veggies - works well with most non-leafy vegetables (brussel sprouts, root vegetables, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) Just toss is a little oil (or mist it, if you really want it low cal) and a mix of your favorite spices (we like garlic powder, black pepper and ceyenne), then roast in a hot oven just till it starts to brown.

Instead of roasting - cook them on the grill! Even small vegetables work if you make a foil packet or invest in a veggie grill basket or put them on skewers.

And often we cook the meat and veggies together for a stew, soup, chili or stir fry. Shrimp or chicken and broccoli make a great stir fry (add a few peanuts!). Orange veggies such as butternut squash, sweet potatoes or carrots are great stewed with pork or beef. You can throw almost anything in soup and it's good. Add beans and chopped veggies to chili.

Lasagna is a great way to eat vegetables. Use less noodles and more veggies, meat and sauce. Or, if you want a low carb dish, skip the noodles and use thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant.