Don't ask if you are "too thin"...

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

If you think you might have an eating disorder, hire a professional psychologist (not a nutritionist or fitness trainer) who specializes in eating disorders to evaluate you and tell you if you do or don't. Eating disorders kill people, so it's important to get it diagnosed if you have one--or to rule it out if you're just being a worry-wart so you can stop worrying. Either way its a win to see an expert so you know for sure.

Yeah, because it's just that easy.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

The other pictures I saw of her earlier this week were much better. :drinker:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    You know, people ask the question for reasons other than just getting attention or confirming that they have an eating disorder. I read one yesterday where the woman posting felt well and had lost a lot of weight, but her family was showing concern. Guess what? Your family, and other outside observers, aren't always right! My mom thinks I'm too thin unless I'm borderline overweight. I could certainly believe that a younger version of myself, who hadn't stood up to her yet, would come on these boards wondering if she's right.

If you have to ask the question, it's because you don't know and you need help. And the boards can offer a perspective on this, many times.

By making this post, you can't possibly hope to change anything. Even if every single current member saw this (which they won't) there will be new members the next day, and the next day, and the day after that, who haven't seen your post. And they'll all have confusing perspectives on what is too thin or too fat or too much sugar or exercise. Almost every single topic I've seen on this board has had some level of repetition. If you can't handle it, I suggest you get off the boards and go read a book or two to guide your progress.

Anyway; I'm way more annoyed by the "Compliment the person above you" "Kiss, spank, or marry the person above you" "Why did the person above you dump you" threads than the ones with real questions about bodies and fitness. Which is why I don't click on them.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't start threads telling people not to start threads about telling people what to do with their threads about starting threads

Ha ha loved this! Brought a smile to me!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Too bad more people don't ask "am I too judgmental?" before starting threads.

LOL :flowerforyou:

Too thin tortillas under my huevos rancheros pisses me off because they disintegrate before I even crack the yolk.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Um.

K.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    There are so many threads asking "am I too thin", I'm so tired of seeing the same thing over and over.

The answer is this:

If you have to ask, just assume you are too thin.

If you are (too or just ordinary) thin. but still don't like the way you look, the answer isn't more weight loss, it's weight-lifting. Go find the weight-lifting gurus around here and ask them how to improve your body composition.

If you think you might have an eating disorder, hire a professional psychologist (not a nutritionist or fitness trainer) who specializes in eating disorders to evaluate you and tell you if you do or don't. Eating disorders kill people, so it's important to get it diagnosed if you have one--or to rule it out if you're just being a worry-wart so you can stop worrying. Either way its a win to see an expert so you know for sure.

jealousy.gif
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't start threads telling people not to start threads about telling people what to do with their threads about starting threads

well said! agreed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what if i just want to ask how long is the OP going to be on punishment for? she's been standing in that corner an awfully long time so she must have learned her lesson by now.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    "I didn't ask you to dance, I said you look fat in those pants!"
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hey Judgey McJudge pants, OP, I bet its not like you ever had a question - That thing where you ask people there opinion. Betcha never do that. EVER.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is a fabulous thread in the Motivation and Support forum. Such Motivation, so support.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is a calorie counting site with forums for weight loss, weight gain, fitness, and other such things. Just letting you know.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    what if i just want to ask how long is the OP going to be on punishment for? she's been standing in that corner an awfully long time so she must have learned her lesson by now.

:laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I get tired of many other threads on these boards. You know what I do? I don't read them.

Second, no, weight lifting is not the only answer. Many girls don't wanna lift. While I love lifting and encourage girls to look into it, I don't like how broken record MFP forums are becoming about lifting. Lifting isn't answer to everything. So quit saying about it.

Also, just because somebody is self conscious about their weight, doesn't mean they are. If they are asking if they are too thin, doesn't mean they are. Many people have different perspective of "too thin" and sometimes, when somebody who is used to being around too fat people or are fat them-self, they tell the now fit person that they are too skinny. Doesn't mean they are too thin, it just means they are being told wrong. We have these discussions here to suggest to these posters what our perspective, as a fitness community is.

I appreciate your effort but your delivery is extremely poor and will probably do more harm than good. We like to encourage people to ask questions and learn. We do NOT like to shut people down and tell them "if you have to ask, you already are"

I can never tell if you are chaotic good or chaotic neutral.

I am taunto.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I get tired of many other threads on these boards. You know what I do? I don't read them.

Second, no, weight lifting is not the only answer. Many girls don't wanna lift. While I love lifting and encourage girls to look into it, I don't like how broken record MFP forums are becoming about lifting. Lifting isn't answer to everything. So quit saying about it.

Also, just because somebody is self conscious about their weight, doesn't mean they are. If they are asking if they are too thin, doesn't mean they are. Many people have different perspective of "too thin" and sometimes, when somebody who is used to being around too fat people or are fat them-self, they tell the now fit person that they are too skinny. Doesn't mean they are too thin, it just means they are being told wrong. We have these discussions here to suggest to these posters what our perspective, as a fitness community is.

I appreciate your effort but your delivery is extremely poor and will probably do more harm than good. We like to encourage people to ask questions and learn. We do NOT like to shut people down and tell them "if you have to ask, you already are"

I can never tell if you are chaotic good or chaotic neutral.

I am taunto.

I think that's it in a nutshell.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i have never been thin. EVER. I've lost some weight and now i have bones sticking out I've never seen. Like collarbones and cheekbones and a little hip action too. I need a little input on where to stop.

I don't have an eating disorder thanks. Nor do I need to be told to lift weights, because i know how to change my body comp.

I don't f'ng know what i look like as a slim person. Are these bones supposed to stick out or not? Not fishing, Sometimes a question is an honest question because you need a disinterested 3rd party occasionally. "Honey you're beautiful no matter what" is a nice answer, but doesn't help even a little. Or "honey you've lost 20 pounds- you're about to disappear" when I weight 150 freaking pounds isn't helpful either. I'm not a packet of peanuts or a set of car keys. I'm not going to slip between that couch cushions among the loose change and lost buttons.

Do I need to seek professional help? Nope. I ask a question in hopes of catching someone willing to share an unbiased and hopefully tactful opinion.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    i bet you're fun at parties

Lmao, right?