Help, I can't quit Sugar :(

Options
I have gone cold turkey off processed sugar for almost a month until last week. I was doing great and the sugars I had were only natural sugar from fruits. But its is so hard to stay away from them when Work is always having donuts and brownies and someone is always bringing in some kind of delicious goodie.

My willpower is only so strong and I can do it but then i fail...could really use some wise words and encouragement to stay away from the bad sweets.

Replies

• sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You know what the best deterrent is? Forcing yourself to log it no matter what. Doing that five times over, you start to really think about how you don't want to miss out on those calories - that donut could have been a really good piece of chocolate and a glass of wine, for example. Log it and keep going. Eventually you'll start deciding whether or not it's worth it. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Edit: I've also never been able to stick to no sugar forever, it just doesn't seem like something that's feasible for life. I eat right now how I want to eat for the rest of my life - just less of it.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no. I'm never going to quit sugar. Reduce the amount I consume, yes. Quit it? Hell no!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Quit? No.
    Decrease? Yes.

Quitting implies going to artificial sweetners like aspartame etc... I don't even think those are good for you! Just reduce your sugar intake, I know it's quite hard but it's just something you have to want to do.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Try logging it before you eat it. Seeing those calories on the screen really helps me, plus it gives you a minute or so to gather up your willpower.

But don't beat yourself up, either. Going 4 weeks with no processed sugar is a great accomplishment, so focus on that instead. It's not about how much suffering you can endure, it's just about health and happiness. You have not failed.
  • stardust92
    stardust92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. I lost most of my weight when on maternity leave because when I went back to work there is so much temptation. What I do now is say I can have one thing a day at the office but only if I walk to and from work (60 minute total) otherwise its tough luck.

It has helped but not very good. The annoying thing is I was told it takes 30 days to create a habit and only 3 to break it. so basically you have to go 31 days sugar free to stop doing it but if you have some after that chances are you will go right back.

So my point is why try to go sugar free when everybody has enough cals a day for one little and I mean little treat a day. which you should have mid morning so you have all day to burn it off. If you have it later in the day you are more likely to overeat it as your energy will be depleting and sugar is good for energy peaks bad for the thighs!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Going the all or nothing route is what caused me to gain back the 40 lbs I lost the first time I did this. Accepting the fact that I'd never be perfect was one of the instrumental moments to keeping the weight off. It's about moderation. It's about learning to live with those demons. Accepting that YOU have the choice. You don't have to give things up completely. Portioning them into your day, while still being mindful of your health is a balancing act but it's an art worth perfecting.

Don't quit. The only time you fail is when you give up. Falling happens. Successful people aren't always successful but they understand that to be so, they must get back up and try again. Log 100%, even if it's embarrassing. Trust me, my Christmas/Thanksgiving logs were hilarious. 3k plus. I still lost 53 lbs in 9 months because I didn't give up. I didn't stop . You can do it too. And you don't HAVE to give up sugar.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

So my point is why try to go sugar free when everybody has enough cals a day for one little and I mean little treat a day. which you should have mid morning so you have all day to burn it off. If you have it later in the day you are more likely to overeat it as your energy will be depleting and sugar is good for energy peaks bad for the thighs!

I agreed with you on this until

I actually find that eating my sweets (like pints of gelato) in the evening works best for me because I can portion it out, sit down and relax and watch TV. The only thing bad for your thighs is a calorie surplus.

It's really about finding out what works best for YOU. So, if that works good for you, that's great but that isn't necessarily the best or the only way to do things :P Just wanted to clarify.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been off sugar and white flour for a month.I have had a few slips,but logging them helps. At work the snack drawer is behind me.Also all the sweets and treats the patient bring in are there too. (hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts any one??)I let EVERYONE know that I am trying not to eat these because my blood sugar is too high with these treats. They are very nice about telling me the doughnuts are stale or the cookies taste off.or just encouraging me to not give in. It has helped alot. And I feel much better not eating that stuff. And my 2 saviours?? Pinapple and Dannon light and fit greek yogurt. Good luck!!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Excellent reason not to cut it out completely. I always tell people not to go extreme because you can't stick to it.

I used to drink several liters of soda a day. I now drink about a can twice a week. Had I decided to cut it out completely, I would have been back to where I started.

Cut back a little and log it religously.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have gone cold turkey off processed sugar for almost a month until last week. I was doing great and the sugars I had were only natural sugar from fruits. But its is so hard to stay away from them when Work is always having donuts and brownies and someone is always bringing in some kind of delicious goodie.

My willpower is only so strong and I can do it but then i fail...could really use some wise words and encouragement to stay away from the bad sweets.
    Are you going to avoid these Bad Sweets for the rest of your life? Food is around us on a daily basis. The reason most diets fail is due to people not thinking long term and what is sustainable for their whole life. It would be much better for you to learn to occasionally have one of these bad sweets within your calorie goals. Moderation is the key and why needlessly cut out things you enjoy. You really don't need to make yourself suffer to lose weight. You have another 130 pounds to go according to your ticker it's going to be a really grim 130 pounds if you cut out all theses things

. Good luck
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Portion out your favorites, plan out your day with those portions worked in.

Don't deprive yourself, just control it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Here is where proper punctuation is helpful:

Help!
    I can't quit, sugar!

:wink:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Here is where proper punctuation is helpful:

Help!
    I can't quit, sugar!

:wink:

Thank you!
    I thought she meant Sugar from the club!!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had a medical reason to abandon, but since I have I've felt better than I have in years. I'm also off most processed flours. That said, I eat plenty of berries and occassional other fruits. I just get carbs from fruits, veggies, beans, and less overall than when I was eating boxed and drive thru foods.

To help break me of the sugar roller coaster I tried a 10 day green smoothie challenge. I was EXTREMELY skeptical going in, but experienced what it predicted and felt about how it said I would, and best of all, got over the withdrawl symptoms.

Here is a description of my experience, so you know what to expect if you try. Happy to answer any questions about what I did and am doing currently.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1407334-my-experience-with-the-10-day-green-smoothie-cleanse
  • stardust92
    stardust92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I actually find that eating my sweets (like pints of gelato) in the evening works best for me because I can portion it out, sit down and relax and watch TV. The only thing bad for your thighs is a calorie surplus.

It's really about finding out what works best for YOU. So, if that works good for you, that's great but that isn't necessarily the best or the only way to do things :P Just wanted to clarify.

Just so you know that was a joke, like the saying a moment on your lips a lifetime on the hips. I was just making the point you are more likely able to get a sweat item to fit in your calorie limit at the start of the day. Most sugar hits are not planned so come the evening you would most liekly of already hit your calorie limit so any sweat treat will be additional whereas if you have it in the morning you can include it in your limit and budget the rest of the day.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't think cutting it altogether isn't the best, personally. I don't think I could handle it, anyway. It seems you have trouble sticking to it, so why not allow some delicious "naughty" things in your counts? I'm about to chow down on a Fiber One Cinnamon Coffee Cake, and I'm going to do it shamelessly because it's already logged and budgeted for. Heck I even budgeted for two today because I've got a big hankering for sweets. I may or may not have that second one, but at least if I'm "weak willed", I'll be weak willed and still losing weight.

That's what it boils down to, in my opinion. If you know you like to indulge, if you know your resolve likes to bend some days, budget for it. Maybe you'll eat it, maybe you'll decide those calories are better somewhere else, but at least there's no regret and no damage.
  • naedean2014
    naedean2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different....I find that I tend to be all-or-nothing. I have cut out all "junky" carbs (no refined sugar, no white rice, no pasta, no bread), and that might be a little extreme for some people. But by doing that, I have almost no cravings for that stuff. Sugar has always been my go-to food when I start feeling snacky and now I don't struggle with that constant need for it.

Of course once in a while I will eat something sweet or have dessert (I mean, that is one of the joys of living!) But for the most part I don't think about it much. Before, when I wanted bread, I wanted to eat the whole loaf. If I ate cake, I couldn't stop at one slice. Pasta, same thing....one serving became two and three and four. It made me crazy! I would be walking around over full and uncomfortable and miserable.

By eliminating those things from my diet, I no longer crave them. I think your body adjusts. I used to wake up in the morning thinking about pancakes and syrup or donuts. Now it's different... I'm not really even sure why this has changed, but I'm not complaining!

These days most of my carbs are healthy and come from veggies and whole grains. I never thought in a million years I would feel this way and be able to say no to the things I have binged on for most of my life. But it is possible!

I agree with the suggestions to log everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. It really makes you aware. And don't tell yourself anything is off limits. If you want it, have it! Just make sure you account for it and it will all work out at the end of the day.

Good luck!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Can't quit either....
    So decided to just control it better. Only having it in moderation, works better that way. Helps me prevent sugary binges.

21525558.png
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Just so you know that was a joke, like the saying a moment on your lips a lifetime on the hips. I was just making the point you are more likely able to get a sweat item to fit in your calorie limit at the start of the day. Most sugar hits are not planned so come the evening you would most liekly of already hit your calorie limit so any sweat treat will be additional whereas if you have it in the morning you can include it in your limit and budget the rest of the day.

Ah....okies!! Gotcha now. That makes more sense xD

I pre log my day, so I plan for things like that but I agree if you're not pre planning your day and just eat as you go, that could be an issue. MFP is a wonderful app
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose 130 lbs...i'm trying to GET to 130 lbs...