It might be a long road, but it's so worth the journey!

Options
katapple
katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
I started my struggle with weight after I got married in 2002. We moved to a new state and I didn't work right away. I sat on the couch, played video games, ate whatever I wanted, and drank a LOT of beer. Next thing I knew, I weighed 170lbs. I wasn't happy with my body, but I wasn't about to do anything about it.
Golf_079.jpg

I got pregnant and had a miscarriage in 2005, which brought my weight up to 180. I never lost that weight before getting pregnant again, and gained 40lbs with that pregnancy. Finally after weighing in at a whopping 220lbs on my small 5'3" frame,
Alex_s_2nd_Day_010-1.jpg

I decided enough was enough! I was determined to lose weight before the next baby. And I did it! I used Weight Watchers and breastfeeding, and got down to 150...30lbs below pre-pregnancy weight! I got pregnant with my second child in 2007 and quit weight watchers and breastfeeding. Bad idea, gained 60lbs with that one!
dsc01991-1.jpg

I got back on track again, and breastfeeding got me back down to the 170s.

I started 2009 at 171, I started 2010 at 161, and I started 2011 at 145. It has been a long long journey, but I think I have finally figured it out. This is a complete lifestyle change. I get the grumps if I don't get my daily exercise in. I make better choices, but I also allow myself to live a little. I'm still trying to go down one size, but I am finally happy with my health and mostly happy with my body (2 c-sections are not good for the belly!). Best thing is I have the energy to keep up with my kids and I am a happier person.

Here I am today, hover between 140-145, and I've been the same weight since April of last year! This year my goal is to get toned and strong, and maybe go down one more pant size. I would also like to run at least 2 half marathons. I went from a tight 16 to a comfy 10, my dress size is either a 6 or 8!

just finished my first half marathon:
DSC_5744a.jpg

DSC_6284a.jpg

Replies

• LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • VintageBeauty
    Options
    wow! you have made amazing progress.. you look great!!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! I'd love to see that quilt when you are done.

Best wishes.
  • Capucine72
    Options
    You look so beautiful and what a dramatic change. You give me hope as my starting weight is the same as yours and I'm 5'3 also.
  • morningstarluv
    Options
    Your story touched my heart! Congratulations on all the hard work! You must be so proud of yourself. Keep on running :happy:
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Great job and way to stick with it even though the road is long. Congratulations!

You look fantastic (and your boys are adorable!)
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Candothis
    Candothis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thank you for that and Congratulations! I wish you continued success in the future for you and your beautiful family! =)
  • mezmez73
    Options
    u look fabulous!!!!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Good job :)
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You look great thank you for sharing your inspirational story!! Some days I just think I can't do it--then I see someone on here who did and it gives me hope that maybe I can too!!

Thank you
    Kendra
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It just goes to show, its NEVER over. You always have to keep trying. Good for you. You're beautiful!
  • courtrptr13
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration! Baby number three was born 7.5 months ago and it's time to get back into shape! I've lost weight before and I know I can do this, but it's hard getting started. I, too, want to run a half marathon this year so I'm going to focus on reaching that goal along with losing weight. You look great BTW!
  • AydensMom528
    Options
    WTG You look AMAZING and you are such an inspiration. Keep up the great work.

OH and BTW Your family is beautiful. :)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story of success. You know I had to just think about how different my life would have been if I would of dealt with my weight issues a long time ago and not drug them around for so long. Good for doing this while you are young and your children are young..........so totally impressed with your tenacity.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Katie, you know Im one of your biggest fans :) I love your dedication and determination, and the fact that you enjoyed the process even when it wasnt easy! You are so inspiring, and I think of you often when i want to stop running. Your success is contagious! I will credit you when I meet my goals someday soon :) Keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing your journey :)
    xoxo
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I honestly didn't realize it had even been 8 years since I started gaining weight, or that I was even that big. I remember looking at a picture from before kids a couple months ago, and I was like, I was big before kids? LOL

Dlaplume2 ~ Well, I might take a few more years, I just started racing so I only have about 6 shirts right now LOL

Kat ~ You are way too kind! But I'm glad I can inspire my friends that live in my computer ;-P

Court ~ Good luck on your training and half! I am by no means an expert, but if you're looking for support, add me as a friend!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Katie AMAZING!!! You are doing so great keep up your hard work.
  • wvmom30
    wvmom30 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You look so good!!! WTG!!!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    WOW! Great job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!