FitBit Help

Options
First of all, I have a million questions about FitBit -- is there a really good resource? But here is my biggest concern: I have been using MFP since May and lost 35 lbs (yay!). Then, my husband got me the FitBit and had it sync with MFP etc. My concern is --- since the fitbit is tracking every calorie I burn, MFP is allowing for those calories, so I get to eat more, right?

BUT -- I am just doing the normal stuff I always do -- I am worried that if I eat back the calories my FitBit is saying I burned, I will stop loosing. I don't know a lot about nutrition (or I never would have gotten 65 lbs overwight!), but I have read you SHOULD eat back exercise points -- and in fact, that can help you loose.

So the delemia is -- because I know now about the extra calories burned (thanks to fitbit), SHOULD i eat them? Or should I just not sync my fitbit to MFP???

Augh, that was complicated -- hope it made sense.
Please help before I hurl this thing out the window (which would be rude since it was a gift)

10364153.png

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to join the Fitbit User group and read the pinned topics.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The difference between using MFP alone and using MFP with a Fitbit (or other linked tracker):

On your own you are guessing about your activity level and MFP uses the level you pick to give you a calorie allowance. The Fitbit gives MFP information about your activity, and if you're more active/burn more than expected - MFP gives you more calories.

BUT... If what you're doing is working, and you don't feel the need for them, then its fine to choose not to eat extra for the additional activity. Judge by how you feel.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Were you adding in your exercise to MFP before? And eating those calories back (or some of them back)? Because now, with the Fitbit, any step-based activity will be tracked through it and automatically added to MFP, so you won't need to add them in yourself. In which case, it's pretty much the same as before, except that Fitbit is much more accurate than MFP with your calories burned through step-based activity.

It also depends on what your activity level is set for on MFP, how many calories you're actually earning through your Fitbit. If you're set as sedentary, then yes, a lot of the calories you burn through your steps will be added. If you're set as active, then fewer of your calories burned will be added - or Fitbit can actually take away calories if you're not being active enough on certain days!

I've had a Fitbit since January, I'm set as sedentary on MFP, and generally eat 25-100% of my calories back (depends on how active I was that day and how hungry I was as well! :smile: ), and have lost 73 lbs this way.
  • ajit_kane
    ajit_kane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes. You may have to do trial and error a bit but I have found that fitbit is very accurate in calculating the calories due to step based excercises (mainly walking). If you run or play a sport it is not very accurate.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Fitbit tells you an approximation of the total amount of calories burned in a day. MFP tells you a lower number because it deducts an amount of calories in order to create a deficit. If I subtract 20% from the total daily calories burned according to my Fitbit, I get pretty close to the goal MFP sets me. I would, personally, stick to what you have been doing as it is working.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Personally, I sync the two and sometimes eat more due to a positive adjustment, sometimes not. Some days I'd rather eat a little more, some days I'd rather lose a little more.

I think using it only improves your estimates so why not. Without it, you were assuming your 'activity level' you told MFP was accurate. Using the Fitbit and syncing, you have a daily check of that assumption, and adjustment to it.
  • aliarmentrout
    aliarmentrout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much -- and I had no idea there was a fitbit forum!
    I added my workout to MFP (just not my regular living -- i am set at sedentary) and I eat back about 75% of calories burned.

I created an eating plan on fitbit which i think allows you to be a little aggressive in dieting than MFP...Ugh, its almost like too much information so now I dont know what to do!

Thanks for the help. It's really nice of you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't use the meal logging section of Fitbit - I log here.

Fitbit can be confusing - personally I set a goal for how many to burn total in the day, and make sure to move enough to hit that # each day. Such as I aim to burn at least 2000 total day, and usually eat 1600-1800. That allows a 250 deficit plus a little spare. You can look at prior day results, get an idea of your average and use that info in deciding what your daily goal should be for calories burned. Then just make it happen. :)