Heart rate monitors and burning calories..

Options
I was going to run into Wal Mart and pick up a cheap $30 HRM. But how important are they? And how exactly does the whole calorie deficit thing work? P90X guide tells me I need to eat 3000 calories a day. Which seems extremely high! I can't see burning more then maybe 700 calories in one workout..

Replies

• tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    splurge and get the 47.77 one with the chest strap! I used my mom's that didn't have the chest strap and compared the results. Unbelievable!
  • txsjhawk
    Options
    i bought the one from Walmart last year and returned it quickly. It does not work all the time and it seems to be when you need to monitor the most, during your workout when you are sweaty. It also does not keep your heart rate the entire time, only when you press the button.

i know they can be a big investment, but it is best to buy a good one. One that can monitor your continuous HR during your workout. This is best way to actually know how may calories you are burning
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    splurge and get the 47.77 one with the chest strap! I used my mom's that didn't have the chest strap and compared the results. Unbelievable!

Agree 100% get one with a chest strap it is very accurate. I am not familiar with the P90X program, but it will accurate reflect the calories you burn during a workout. I bought a Polar FT7 with a chest strap for $99.00. I am sure there are less expensive models, this is just what everyone on MFP recommended and I really like it keeps track of your target HR too. I picked mine up at a sporting goods store.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X diet guide is not set up for you to lose a lot of weight as it assumes you are already in good shape. There are more than one option for daily caloric intake on the program, you may want to use the next step down from the 3000 as you are looking to lose weight not just get ripped.
  • dradams13
    dradams13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree. P90X assumes you are fit and in shape at those weights and caloric intakes. I started it and actually put on weight until I dropped to the lower level. Now I am trying to get to a certain level before I start p90X again.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yeah I knew 3000 seemed way too high! So I've been trying to keep it around 2000. And even that seems a bit much for all the more active I am right now. Which is why I thought about buying a HRM. But spending $100 on one right now is too expensive with everything I've had to get.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, get one with a chest strap!!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Would this be a good one to get? I know nothing about them. But I seen the name Polar pop up a few times around these forums. I just want something basic. I can put it on when I go work out. And tells me what I burn

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4301380

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3970369 this one seems really nice. But I am not really wanting to spend $90 unless it's really just a great deal or something

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3708316 Not many chest one's for under $100. But that seems decent..

LOL at the stars. sorry I am not sure how to link on here.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    P90X is not a weight loss program, that is why you are confused. Use a better calculator than that guide. There is one at their own website. Basically, if the guide says 3000, you need to subtract 500 to create a 1 pound per week deficit.

BUT.......and it's a big BUT.

The X is endurance based and thus the maintenance level of calorie load they suggest. Endurance programs can lead to over training with calorie deficits. At least the Insanity nutrition guide mentions the deficit, but still the same risk.

I suggest you read up on over reaching, over training, and the warning signs (a very short read), if you want to do P90X on a at least a 500 calorie deficit. I know plenty that have and succeeded but the others either had to up their calories or never finished for various reasons you will know once you read up. The later group was much bigger.

If you learn the signs and ways to lessen the risks, you can do it.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I just got my suunto t1. I was able to get it for free through work, used it this morning, and it works great! I've seen them on amazon for around $60
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Polar F6's sell for right around $100 and me, who can't program a dern digital watch, could program that thing without reading the directions...and it is simple. Push a button twice, start working out, push to stop. Done.
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    You need to invest in the Polar ones. They are over $100 but well worth it!