New to the online fitness

Options
I went to the dr. yesterday and weighed in at 305lbs. I have NEVER been this big before. The last decade or so I have fluctuated between 225-270 (crazy, I know). I have tried all kinds of diets, gyms, eating trends, etc. I have yet to stick with anything and be happy. I do like working out, not so much now that i let myself go, but i found joy in it and i would always feel great. It's my eating that is killing me. I have no willpower what so ever. I can never get my portions right, or the types of food right... It has, and i'm afraid will always, be my downfall.

I have joined here to hopefully be a part of a community that can help breaks this deadly cycle and share laughs/successes/struggles and tears. Anyone care to join me?

Replies

• I think you'll find tracking your calories and opening up your diary will help. If you are afraid to let people view it like me, it helps!!
  • ritascook
    Options
    Making the choice to commit is a step in the right direction. I find it helpful as a food junkie to ask myself is this cookie more important than my a$# fitting into those killer jeans....the answer is ALWAYS NO! I agree that tracking will be a huge eye opener...just don't let yourself lie if it touches your lips it goes in the tracker. If nothing else it is a huge reality check to see how many calories you are REALLY eating each day. Took me about 3 weeks of being honest and never coming close to my daily goal to get real with myself and focus on getting a matching number at the end of the day. Best of Luck
  • BW4469
    Options
    Thanks for the posts! I would open up the food journal, but i'm not sure how? Yes, honesty is key! Thank you for the example of how it took 3 weeks of being completely honest to whip in to shape. That helps a lot!
  • LVLFgirl13
    LVLFgirl13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too! Feel free to add me if you would like!! :smile:
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Being honest is the only way. I've also started in the slimming club in work so my colleague taking a note of my weight is enough for me to say no to the crisps and have the apple instead. Find something that works for you.

Counting the calories is a massive eye opener for just how much junk food is about.

Best thing I heard recently was to eat like your Grandma (depends on your age!) might have done when she was young. Not liver and onions and disgusting semolina, but more like avoid processed foods. Back to basics in the kitchen. I'm trying to make my own versions of the foods I like and it tastes much better. Only downside is weighing and recording all the separate ingredients the first time I cook something.

Please feel free to add me.
  • aleanay
    Options
    Honesty is important, but also finding out just what counts as exercise and what doesn't. I've found that a lot of things that I do normally actually can count as exercise just because I don't do them every day or that frequently. It's the first several weeks that are important. It gets you to see what you need to work on and then gets you into a routine. Researching foods that keep you feeling full too help a lot. You can show or hide your things in the settings section. Also I recommend the phone app if you have a smart phone, that's been a big help to me because I have reminders set so I make sure to log what I eat. Somewhere too is a way you can label and add the different categories other than just breakfast lunch and dinner. I added drinks, for example, because I drink a lot of different things throughout the day that don't always fit into the normal three square meals.
  • djbarriger
    djbarriger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am new to this community as well! I have been steadily gaining back the weight that I lost during my pregnancy. I was very sick for several months and actually lost 20 lbs, but not in a healthy way. I wanted to at least keep it off, but six-months later I am back where I started. My best weight loss experience was weight watchers, but with one income and a baby, we can't afford any special programs. The best part was the partnership that the meetings provided, which has landed me here. Somewhere safe and encouraging, surrounded by many others with the same goal; to live healthier!

You remind me very much of myself. Exercise and activity isn't the problem; the problem is saying no to so many tasty things! I think that keeping track of everything we consume would be quite an eye-opener to everyone, even "skinny" people. It isn't about how much you weight, it is about how you live. I know ladies who eat like crazy and still wear size 0, but they have no muscle tone! One lady I knew couldn't scrape a pan with food stuck on it because her arms were so weak. Being thin and being healthy are not synonymous.

I commend you on setting a goal and searching for new resources to reach that goal, and I hope that we can be an encouragement and inspiration to each other through our ups and our downs. Best of luck to all!
  • Loubowman67
    Loubowman67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    I'm also new here. And looking for some new friends. For the last couple of weeks I started cutting stuff from my diet. I figured that was a start. My mom and son is also on this journey with me... I m just hoping that this time we make it.....

So maybe u need to start out small and work up way up to doing more. Any way hope u reach your 1st journey in that long road a head of ya. Just take it one day at a time
  • BW4469
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for all the kind words, pointers, recommendations, ideas, list goes on! This is is sooo helpful! Not to mention, your responses alone help give someone that extra boost. Letting them know that others are out there. This is absolutely amazing. Thanks again, so very much. Here's to a life changing journey and may we all succeed with greatness!!

feel free to 'friend' if you'd like another team member!

Cheers!
  • mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I needed to hear this. I'm having problems with my calorie limits. I never thought to ask all those questions before I put the food in my mouth. I just get depressed after seeing red (which mean I went over my limit).