Stupid Serving Sizes

Options
blukitten
blukitten Posts: 922 Member
Ok- so I just went to the cafeteria at work and got lunch and with my lunch I bought some (what look like) single serving packets of Crystal Light- lemonade. All I looked at first was the 5 cal label loudly printed on the bottom of the front of the packet.

Serving size- 5 cals per 2/5 packet (the 2/5 of packet in tiny tiny print of course)

Who in the hell gets this seemingly single serving packet- and in most other things is a single serving packet and MEASURES 2/5 from the packet? How do you measure that? Get my food scale out or what? I thought it rediculous and very stupid. No one measuers 2/5 of these packets? Also on the actual nutrition label there are 2.5 servings? Has anyone ever actually taken only one serving out of this little packet and used it 1.5 more times?

Has anyone else seen anything like this on a nutrition label? Any other wierd labels or serving sizes out there?

Anyway- rant over- just thought it was stupid and rediculous and a bad attempt to try to disguise the actual calorie content in the packet which is (5 cals for 2.5 servings = 12.5 cals)

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Yes.

american-kellogg-s-unfrosted-strawberry-pop-tarts-1081-p.jpg

A serving is 1 poptart! Who leaves one pop tart?!

Ridiculous.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The 12 oz Zico Coconut Milk that I buy myself says it's 1 serving but I always drink it over 2 days.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Ridiculous.

ARGH THIS. I was furious when I bought my first box of Pop Tarts when I started counting calories that one pop tart was a serving. Either make it two or make one in each package.
  • cubiclecurmudgeon
    Options
    My favorite cereal, were I to eat the serving size, would be some sort of weird breakfast amuse bouche.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed on poptarts - why would you package two together if one is a serving. It makes absolutely no sense.

Those sleeves of things like nuts, trail mix, pretzel bits. You'd think that'd be a serving but it's more like 2-4 servings.

Also, who eats just 1/2 cup of ice cream?! (I know, tons of people do it, I just can't - which is why it's never in my house)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The FDA is trying to update things to make them more realistic. Apparently they will soon be giving the manufacturers the leeway to label according to use, rather than using set measurements as servings. Who drinks 1/2 of a 16 oz bottle of soda? I suspect one serving of Poptarts will remain one Poptart but other labels should be better.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The Ben and Jerry's container of Cherry Garcia says it serves 4 people. Hahahahahahaha. That's hilarious.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The FDA is trying to update things to make them more realistic. Apparently they will soon be giving the manufacturers the leeway to label according to use, rather than using set measurements as servings. Who drinks 1/2 of a 16 oz bottle of soda? I suspect one serving of Poptarts will remain one Poptart but other labels should be better.

I like having consistent measures so I can compare products - say 1/2 cup of store brand ice cream and 1/2 cup of Ben and Jerrys. If they also want to add "real" serving sizes such as the entire pouch, bag, bottle or ice cream container, I think that would really help.

And I did finally eat just one Pop Tart yesterday. Hubby bough ones that I am not crazy about so I could eat just one and ziplock the second one.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    The Ben and Jerry's container of Cherry Garcia says it serves 4 people. Hahahahahahaha. That's hilarious.

I prefer Chunky Monkey......~Mmmmm~ ice cream
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Right! Love the pop tart post!! and the one about the peanuts -- who buys that and only eats one poptart from the package- or serves their child one pop tart! or only eats half the sleeve of peanuts!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I like having consistent measures so I can compare products - say 1/2 cup of store brand ice cream and 1/2 cup of Ben and Jerrys. If they also want to add "real" serving sizes such as the entire pouch, bag, bottle or ice cream container, I think that would really help..

That is exactly what they are trying to do, allow the food companies to label according to what people typically do with their products so, for example, Planters can use either the standardized 1 oz serving on their 1.75 oz packets of nuts or list nutritional info for the entire packet and keep the 1 oz info for the large jars or tins of nuts that are not intended to be eaten in one sitting (but get a tin of cashews in front of me and we'll see). I think the aim is to still keep the standardized servings, but allow more real world info on labels.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My favorite cereal, were I to eat the serving size, would be some sort of weird breakfast amuse bouche.

This made me laugh out loud. I had 1.5 servings of Honey Bunches of Oats this AM.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    A 1-oz bag of potato chips, we're told, is 1 serving.
    But I've noticed that an 8-oz bag of potato chips usually ends up being 1 serving. :laugh:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I can never just eat one packet of pop tarts...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Texas toast croutons. One serving is one tbs (7g) at 30cals. That's like, 2 pieces of crouton. In my dry a s s salad .
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles - 1pkg should be 1 serving!

Also anything, anything where the serving size is something.5 - silly!

Any package that advertises less calories/sodium etc. and accomplishes this by making the serving size smaller & box lighter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    DiGiorno pizza serves 5.......5 what..... toddlers?

Stauffers mac & cheese (10 oz)...serves 2. I pointed this out to a coworker...she had regularly been eating the whole package at lunch.
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    Yes.

Ridiculous.

who leaves any in the box!!??
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    at 6'6 - 270, most 'serves four' means I need to find something else to eat besides that
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel this way about ramen. One ramen (one block) is 2 servings. A half of a pot of ramen wouldn't fill up a bird! Okay, maybe a bird, but...