Excercising too much?

Options
Okay well this probably seems like a really basic question, and it probably is. I'll admit to being a total gym newbie. I started working out two months ago, and this is the first time I've ever purposely excercised since high school. I have done research online about techniques, general fitness knowledge, etc, but it was kind of overwhelming and I read a lot of conflicting things on the internet (go figure). I eventually decided to just wing it; do what felt right.

I started out with a goal to work out 30 minutes of cardio 5 days per week. After only a week I felt like I could do a lot more than that. So then I started doing an hour of cardio, switching between the treadmill to the bike to the elliptical. I kept that up for about a month and a half. Last week I stopped feeling challenged, and thought I'd add a half hour. So now I'm doing an hour of cardio every day, and a half hour of various strength training or cardio alternating every other day. If I get sore then I take a rest day, but I usually end up working out between 5 and 6 days per week.

I shared this with another coworker who is also trying to loose weight and gain muscle, and he told me that his doctor said that working out more than 3 times per week is basically a wasted effort, and could even be harmful. Is this true?

Some extra info about me: I'm 5'3, and 226 lbs. I eat 1700 calories per day, which I think is enough to support my gym habits (could be wrong). I have a completely sedentary life outside the gym; desk job, 1.5 hour commute each way, and my hobbies are playing video games and reading.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Overdoing anything is possible of course. But someone with a sedentary lifestyle probably SHOULD workout 6 days a week, to compensate for inactivity. Granted, it only takes ~30 minutes of vigorous work per day for baseline fitness. If you feel fine with more exercise, you're probably ok, but be aware of overtraining symptoms (check google).
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Overdoing anything is possible of course. But someone with a sedentary lifestyle probably SHOULD workout 6 days a week, to compensate for inactivity. Granted, it only takes ~30 minutes of vigorous work per day for baseline fitness. If you feel fine with more exercise, you're probably ok, but be aware of overtraining symptoms (check google).

Makes sense. I feel tired after a workout, but not in pain. I haven't strained any muscles, I'm not grumpy, and insomnia is sure not a problem for me! Honestly, I feel good for the most part. Besides... If I don't excercise staying under my calorie limit for the day is really hard! I like that I can eat a little more because I got a great workout that day!
  • Chls122
    Chls122 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I agree with that statement. Sounds like your doing well
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you started strength training. Just keep listening to your body, and rest 1-2 days per week.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I believe you are doing just fine. Just listen to your body and incorporate a rest day every week.
    Stef.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Average about 2 hours/day here... only downside is that I discovered my caloric burn rate isn't coming close to matching what this site says once my numbers started getting that high.

Still, about an hour is usually some form of bike commuting, while the other is usually a combination of running, swimming, and lifting.
  • NYfirefighter
    Options
    5 to 6 days is exerise is good
    As long as you listen to your body and have a rest day there shouldn't be a problem

Personally I walk atleast 5 times a week with distances ranging from 5 to 25 miles (and sometimes further) and do calisthenics 2 to 4 times a week, depending on how I'm fysically feeling because some days I recover less quickly than others
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As long as you listen to your body and have a rest day there shouldn't be a problem

^^^ This right here!!!! For the last two weeks i worked out everyday... I felt great but then this week I wasn't feeling it I was TIRED and my body told me so.... I work 12hr shifts so I used my workdays days as my rest days (in reality it was only 2 days of rest) watched my caloric intake and slept because that it what my body needed. And today, one of my days off, I pushed myself harder than i have and feel awesome...... I GUESS I NEEDED THE BREAK :) just listen to your body sweetness
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I concur with the poster above - there's no issue here at all. You'll certainly feel it if you are overdoing things.

You don't specify the type of cardio you are doing, can I infer from how you've increased duration to add intensity that you are doing a steady state of effort?

If so I would suggest you consider a bit of variety. There are a lot of fitness and other physiological benefits from exercising at different intensities (heart rates) and it helps to keep things varied and interesting for you, as well as giving you a way to keep raising the challenge without having to take more time out of your day.

For example, as a runner training for a marathon my weekly runs have a mixture of long and slow, short and fast, intervals, medium duration at a steady state, hill work etc - all targeting different fitness improvements, all burning calories and all challenging in their own way.
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    As I was reading your post, it actually started to get weird because I am 5'3, 226lbs, lead a sedentary life, and started exercising regularly 2 months ago for the first time since high school. So, twins! Let's be friends. =]

But I agree with everyone who says you seem to be doing fine. Listening to your body is crazy important, and it helps to log your exercise somehow so that you can keep track of what routines/workouts help you most, and when you should begin to increase reps/weights and such. Exercise is very personal, as is weight loss and what works for some, may not work for others. Many variables and such.

If you ever wanna chat, need support, or anything, feel free to message/befriend me!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    crikey OP, i am impressed you find the time.excellent motivation.
    i mirror your recent exercise trends along with emilyP, and aim for 100 mins daily.
    i have overdone it on the treadmill in this time,tweaking some tendon/ligament from "hammering it" as i was advised afterwards by gym team.i am now easing back in to it, but swim more and have dramatically increased my strength and endurance whilst losing over 30 lbs .
    i am pushing as much as i can whilst i am on the upward curve, but listening to advice too.
    listen to your body whilst working towards goals.
    enjoy and good luck.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, and you feel good, then keep going. Don't be afraid to take a few days off if you get tired, or need a break.

My routine is somewhat less, but I am trying to keep to a routine of exercise that I know I will continue for the rest of my life. I run twice a week and fit in other classes or gym or swimming around that, if I fancy it. This is how I want to be in the future, so that's how I am doing it now. I also try and walk as much as possible rather than getting the bus or driving.