What has been your biggest obstacle to losing weight?

Replies

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    I will contribute to this thread, I'll do start on Monday, which means I can have a curry tonight!

That and alcohol
    Oh and Doritos, I love Doritos
    And eating through boredom
    Not forgetting bingeing, especially when drinking

Oh, late nightcheese sandwiches.

Essentially everything. But especially the booze.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Me. i could give a thousand reasons, but it comes down to me putting my *kitten* on the couch.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Mine have been pain, fatigue and emotional eating. Lots of factors, really, but slowly overcoming them.
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    For me it's patience. I have to be ok with little changes and stop thinking BiG.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    For me, it was Fast Food and Alcohol.
    I only have Fast Food now maybe once a Week and Alcohol even less!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Negative self talk and self sabotage. "You aren't going to be able to do this so why even try" "You're just going to gain it all back AGAIN anyway, so just eat the cookie now", etc.

We can seriously be our own worst enemy. I find that taking it one day at a time is the best for overcoming this. If I can succeed today, that's all that really matters. Eventually those singular successes add up.
  • Soul_Sista1
    Soul_Sista1 Posts: 4 Member
    Counting calories of the foods I already have at home. Which still seem to be a bit much. :( 1 thing for sure is, I still manage to work out, sore as though I may be but I still do it. Now one thing that is the biggest problem of them all, trying to quit smoking. One day that dream will happen. Snacking through the night. Sometimes I can't get to sleep unless I am chewing on a granola bar or eating popcorn. Whoa is me :(.

Napoleon HIll says, "One of the most common causes of failure is the habit of quitting when one is overtaken by temporary defeat."

I will lose weight
    I will stop smoking
    I will keep pushing
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    night time eating. I'll be awesome during the day but i'll just nosh at night. It hasn't been too detrimental to my weight maintenance but i know it's an issue. So really, the biggest obstacle is me haha
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    The annoyingly slow rate at which fat is metabolized.
  • Soul_Sista1
    Soul_Sista1 Posts: 4 Member
    :laugh:
  • theforgery
    theforgery Posts: 15 Member
    Random snacking between meals, and my obsessive love for Oreo ice cream sandwiches :D Using a calorie tracker like MFP really does help me to stay within my goals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Sweets and emotional eating.

I don't mean like getting upset or stressed and binge eating. Fortunately I've never had a binge issue and pretty much have the "big stress" stuff under control and have for quite a few years.

I just mean, being out with my husband on Friday night or Saturday and feeling like "it's the weekend, we totally deserve this banh mi or Mexican meal and ice cream after". We work it off through exercise and adjust other meals...but I think if I didn't have that habit or mindset, I would probably be further along by now. Who knows. I'm happy with my progress but I do think that's my weak spot.

I also think I'm the type to celebrate with food. Like, oh a good thing happened, let's go out to dinner tonight!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    1. Me. I lack willpower sometimes.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Definitely me. If I'm bored, upset, happy, etc. A lot of emotional eating for me. When I starting gaining at 13, my mom severely restricted my food so I was an expert at hiding and sneaking food. Even to this day I have issues with eating when I drop my kids off at school. They don't care if I eat without them, but it still gives a thrill. Thought about therapy, but decided not to since I know what triggers it. Just keep myself aware now and find alternatives. ????
  • Motivation, Routine, Stress and solving my problems with Pizza and ice cream
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Food.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    My history with Eating Disorders.

Every time I'd start losing weight, it would be perfect for the first few weeks, then calories would slowly go done until I was hardly eating, then I'd go in to binge mode for a while and end up right where I started.

This time though, I'm being much more consistent. There are still the few odd days that go either way, but I really feel like my mind is the right place now, especially as there are so many supportive people on this site!
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    My patience and my love for eating until I'm stuffed!
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    My history with Eating Disorders.

Every time I'd start losing weight, it would be perfect for the first few weeks, then calories would slowly go done until I was hardly eating, then I'd go in to binge mode for a while and end up right where I started.

This time though, I'm being much more consistent. There are still the few odd days that go either way, but I really feel like my mind is the right place now, especially as there are so many supportive people on this site!

Oh wow story of my life. I always think "you know, I could go without this snack every day..." and it goes on and on until I'm pretty much eating nothing and then I lose control. Totally know how you feel.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote:
    Being too enthusiastic. I did T25 Gamma and Insanity at the same time. At the time it was fine and great, but after I was finished, I had almost no motivation to workout. I stayed in my calorie goal, so I didn't gain any weight, but it took me a few weeks to get myself back into a fitness routine (now P90X3).

I don't mind working out 2x a day, in fact I'm doing that now still, but I think it was doing 2 extreme cardio based workouts at the same time that burned me out.

I know better now.
    Good observation. I too found that firm and steady resolve beats wild enthusiasm which is unsustainable.

I agree. Luckily, it didn't take me too long to figure this out. I now enjoy working out a lot more, I get my main one in at about 6:30am, and if I have the inclination to workout in the evening, which normally I do, I'll do it, if I don't, it's no big deal because I know that I got my workout in for the day already. It really helped take the pressure off and I'm enjoying things a lot more.