Recent weight loss plateau

Options
Not sure if I should be concerned with this or not. I've seem to hit a plateau that's lasted 2 1/2 weeks so far. Now, school started last week and we have a 4 week old infant at home (not to mention the toddler). So my time has become severely limited for exercise with a drastic increase in stress and reduction in sleep. Considering all that, should I be happy I've only plateaued instead of putting the pounds back on?

Advice please and thank you.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Stress & sleep issues are common causes for water weight gain - and 2.5 weeks is too little a time frame for concern IMO. 4-6 weeks, if no change, then reassess what you're doing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    as above said, 2 1/2 weeks isn't long enough, I've experienced up to 6 weeks before the scales move..and stress/tiredness do affect the scales.
    if another week passes with no change then you can re-assess and change things a little.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well, I know it's hard, but you need to make sure to make time for yourself with exercise. Exercise will greatly reduce your stress and will help you to sleep better... during the time you actually get to sleep with a 4 week old baby... lol You don't need hours at the gym, just find 30 minutes in your day.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It is normal for weight loss to stall for a few weeks for most people due to normal body weight fluctuations like bowels and water retention from exercise and increased sodium. Even if you are doing everything correctly, your body will release the weight on its time clock. Since you have been losing prior to the last few weeks, keep on the same path and your body will catch up.
  • ButterButtLou
    Options
    Did you just give birth to the infant you mentioned? If so, the mother side of me wants you to eat healthy, get sleep, find a moment to shower alone, and not worry just yet about dropping the baby weight. You probably still have mixed up hormones anyway. So you lost weight the first week and a half and stalled. That is a blip. Be patient with yourself. Maybe even consult your doctor for a healthy nutrition plan to get you back to normal.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No no, I'm the dad. No hormone issues, other than dealing with hers.

Just busy with school (on and off campus) and trying to sleep around the baby's feeding schedule as well as trying not to neglect the toddler.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was stuck in a weight loss plateau for months and I know how hard it can be. Stress and things along with looking at the amount of water and sodium intake can help as well. Once I increased water (1/2 your weight in ounces) and really looked at the hidden sodium in addition to a few other adds and minuses to diet and exercise, well it helped :)
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was stuck in a weight loss plateau for months and I know how hard it can be. Stress and things along with looking at the amount of water and sodium intake can help as well. Once I increased water (1/2 your weight in ounces) and really looked at the hidden sodium in addition to a few other adds and minuses to diet and exercise, well it helped :)

My H2O intake is good. But be aware of H20 Intoxication. My urine is clear often.

I do consume a lot of sodium though. I am aware of that.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ^^^ oh yes drinking too much water is not good either, agreed :) sadly when I really kept track of everything, that is where I found the issues. I also change up my workouts from time to time as well as my diet, some days I eat a lot more than others to fool that plateau :)