Best thing to eat at a Mexican restaurant??

Options
I'm back on track finally. We are going to a Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight....they have no nutrition facts for their menu. Any advice on what I should order??

Replies

• 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I usually order fajitas. You can pick and choose what you want to put on it.
  • robert5891
    Options
    Anything that is grilled is a good bet and avoid all the typical tex mex crap that is covered and drenched in sauces, cheese, and sour cream.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken fajitas. I eat one tortilla, the chicken, and the beans. I eat some of the rice and try not to have more than a couple of chips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Well, I order what I want to eat that day. But if you're speaking of calorie control, then a chicken/steak salad. The killer in every Mexican restaurant for just about anyone.............................munching on chips and salsa while waiting for your order to come.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like getting the shrimp cocktail and count out the number of tortilla chips i can have and put them on the plate in front of me. When the plate is empty, I'm done with chips and just wait for my shrimp cocktail.
    I find the hardest part of getting mexican to be not order/going easy on the margaritas.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you will really enjoy. Box half of it up as soon as the plate gets to the table. Have a second meal out of it later.

Work on developing coping mechanisms for the long term. Because you're always going to go out to eat, or be faced with snacks in the breakroom, or be at a dinner party where you can't control the fare.

:flowerforyou:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I always get chicken fajitas. No tortilla or beans or rice.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The killer in every Mexican restaurant for just about anyone.............................munching on chips and salsa while waiting for your order to come.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ugh, don't I know that!

I'm a big fan of fajitas (shrimp, chicken, steak, whatever) and double beans, no rice. I don't eat the tortillas and load up on the guac, pico, lettuce, and grilled veggies.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat tacos ALL. THE. TIME. Mexican food is fairly healthy as long as you don't get anything fried and stay away from the massive flour tortillas. Guacamole is crazy awesome, full of healthy fat. Corn tortillas are a whole grain food, about 100 calories for two of them! The amount of filling in each taco isn't much, and if you're topping them with healthy fat from the guac you dont need to load up on dairy (sour cream & cheese). Of course a little splurge isn't going to hurt.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want :flowerforyou:

Just eat half of the entree and save the rest for tomorrow's lunch!

And try to go easy on the bottomless chips :P
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Tacos or fajitas for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Cheese enchiladas and queso. Lots of guac and sour cream.

Mmmmmm ...
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    everything! (I'm a total *kitten* for Mexican food)

but really- anything grilled, easy on the cheese/sour cream/tortillas you should be good...
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Fajitas for me. I avoid the rice and sour cream and queso sauce. However, the salt will mess up the numebrs for a few days.

..or you could enjoy it this one time.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with corn tortillas. They have half as many calories as flour. Or fish tacos can be good and pretty low on the calories.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken fajitas. I eat one tortilla, the chicken, and the beans. I eat some of the rice and try not to have more than a couple of chips.
    This sounds like you get a little bit of everything, plus take half home , or the steak fajita plate. Also chicken taco salad (no shell) with salsa for dressing and alittle ff dressing.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Speaking from deep in the heart of Texas here! The standard "chips and salsa" they bring to the table first will really knock you off track pretty quickly if you don't have a strategy. Mine is to count the number of chips I eat. to remain mindful and to know how much to record. Salsa is cheap, but not cheese dip or guacamole, so you have to count the amount with those also.

I noticed a long time ago that once the main dishes arrive, folks tend to ignore the chips. So a good trick, if you can get the rest of your party to agree to it, is to ask the wait staff to NOT bring out the chips & salsa until the rest of the meal is in front of you.

<edit>
    oooh! one more thing -- if you get fajitas ask them for extra grilled onions and peppers... that's where the flavor is anyway and it will fill you up & it's super-dooper cheap in calories! That can be used to replace the volume lost when you avoid the rice and beans.

My kids dragged me to Chipotle last night and I had a 'bowl' with grilled chicken, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, a tiny bit each of rice and beans and cheese and sour cream, and a TON of grilled onions and peppers. Less than 600 calories.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I eat the chips.
    I eat the tortillias.
    I eat the beans and rice...

If I'm not eating those then why am I even out at a Mexican place to begin with?

The place we go to doesn't give you free refills of chips so that's nice. Because once the basket is gone it's gone. I normally eat half of them. And I'm ok with that. I get what I want - and I normally eat half of that too. I DO FIND that Steak Quesidillas are pretty calorie friendly and I really love them. I just eat til I'm full. I eat what I want, but don't over do it. I find THAT'S the hardest part when going out to eat. Eating til your food is gone vs just eating til your full. If I eat til I'm full my calories always fall in place and the best part, I get to eat it again the next day ^_^
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of fajitas (shrimp, chicken, steak, whatever) and double beans, no rice. I don't eat the tortillas and load up on the guac, pico, lettuce, and grilled veggies.

This! I love getting a tasty protein and loading up on the fresh salsas, guac and beans.