C-Section tummy help!

Options
So two and a half years ago, I had a beautiful baby girl via cesarean. A year later, when she stopped nursing, I started losing weight, 30 pounds. I am so self conscious about my tummy. Even being overweight, I never had huge issues with my tummy. All my weight tends to stay in my lower half, but now my stomach hangs and I have been wearing a body shaper every day since. I am trying to lose another 30 pounds at least and I know that alone will help some, but what exercises are best for tightening up that lower belly area? It can't be hard on the back because I have an old injury to keep an eye on. Thanks!

Replies

• OnTheGround
    Options
    Actually one of the best things is to do core to help that back injury AND do what you can to pull your tummy muscles in a bit! If it were me, I would be sure to do a serious core component at least 3 times a week.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There aren't any specific exercises that tighten up an area. There is no such thing as spot reduction, toning, etc...it's about lowering your BF%, especially the abdomen area.

Eat at a deficit, lift heavy, do cardio if you like it and have patience.

Your case is a bit different and hopefully there's some C-Section moms that can jump in and help. What may hinder your results is the scar tissue in the area. I'm not exactly sure how that works into the equation. It hasn't really affected my wife's results, but I suppose results my vary.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You may also have a diastasis which is a separation of the ab muscles making it appear even more pronounced. If you google it, there are ways to check for one and specific exercises you can do to try to close the gap some. If it's severe, usually only surgery will close it. I was able to shrink mine from around a 4 to a 1 and I saw a PT who gave me further advice and exercises for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You may also have a diastasis which is a separation of the ab muscles making it appear even more pronounced. If you google it, there are ways to check for one and specific exercises you can do to try to close the gap some. If it's severe, usually only surgery will close it. I was able to shrink mine from around a 4 to a 1 and I saw a PT who gave me further advice and exercises for it.

This definitely. Also progressive heavy lifting has helped me.
  • Eveamlizya
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information! I just checked and, although it's only a 1-2-1, the 2 is very very deep! Will definitely look into this more!
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can help this. I've had four pregnancies, 4 csections. It takes time, but exercising, working your abdominal muscles, reducing your body fat percentage, all of these will help.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    There aren't any specific exercises that tighten up an area. There is no such thing as spot reduction, toning, etc...it's about lowering your BF%, especially the abdomen area.

Eat at a deficit, lift heavy, do cardio if you like it and have patience.

Your case is a bit different and hopefully there's some C-Section moms that can jump in and help. What may hinder your results is the scar tissue in the area. I'm not exactly sure how that works into the equation. It hasn't really affected my wife's results, but I suppose results my vary.

I had a C-section 4 years ago, but never had any issues with the scar area/lower belly. I hope you find answers!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections and seriously my tummy is looking fab! Major strength training!
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You will want to strengthen your transabdominus (it's a band of muscle going across your lower belly) as well. Even though you had a c-section you may still benefit from pelvic floor therapy (studies show it's pregnancy, not vaginal delivery, that's hard on the pelvic floor), which will also help your core muscles including your abs and your back. Most if not all insurances will cover pelvic floor therapy. You may want to check that out. Love, your friendly MFP midwife :-)