cardio frequency

Options
I'm having trouble finding a clear and straight forward answer to this question so any advice you guys can give me would be a great help!
I currently do around 4/5 spinning classes a week which I really love and i'm doing well with my weight loss and improved fitness. I was able to spread them out over the week but due to a new work rota i'm only going to be able to do 4 classes on subsequent days from now on, with a three day break between the last class of one week and the first of the following week. I really want to continue as I enjoy the classes so much more than any other form of exercise, although i do try and do some toning at home when i can. My question is...is this OK!?! Am i doing myself a disservice by cramming in all my cardio into one half of the week? from what i have read online it should be a day of cardio followed by a day of toning, or is this for a specific type of training?
Many thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It sounds perfectly fine to me.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you're able to do it, do it. If you find yourself too exhausted from time to time, skip a class. You're doing an awful lot of cardio, so missing one class here and there won't kill you. You can do cardio every day if you wanted to and were able to - there are no required rest days. It's cardio! Just listen to your body.
    i do try and do some toning at home when i can

What is this "toning" you speak of? You mean lifting or do you mean bodyweight "strength" exercises like squats, lunches, ab work, etc? To be quite honest, that's probably not doing much for you. Muscles do not "tone" - they either get bigger or they get smaller. In order to avoid losing a bunch of muscle along with fat, you should be lifting heavy about 3 times per week. This doesn't mean squatting while holding 5-lb dumbbells. Why not ease up on spinning and spend some time in the weight section?

The "toned" look a lot of women want is just decreased body fat. However, if you don't lift and end up losing the muscle you already have, you'll get to your goal wait and, oops, now you're skinny fat. Resistance training truly is essential for both men and women. Do it, and your body will thank you.

And before you say, "I don't want to get bulky," women do not bulk like men, and they certainly don't bulk without meaning to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It should be whatever you want to do.

If you listen to fitness gurus, you'll get a bunch of different answers with a bunch of different reasons for them. I say this all the time, but once you've visited your doctor about your weight loss, follow their advice and ignore all the rest. :)

Do what works for you. It's your journey and you have to walk your own path.

In the end, it's all about being happy. Cycle when you please. :)
  • Hgiel79
    Options
    In all honesty I don't feel comfortable in the gym. I am doing abdominal exercise and some yoga/Pilates which I do think are helping me look more toned. I really do notice a difference if I miss a few days especially on my tummy.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

The "toned" look a lot of women want is just decreased body fat. However, if you don't lift and end up losing the muscle you already have, you'll get to your goal wait and, oops, now you're skinny fat. Resistance training truly is essential for both men and women. Do it, and your body will thank you.

And before you say, "I don't want to get bulky," women do not bulk like men, and they certainly don't bulk without meaning to.

I love it when you speak the truth.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If it is working for you stick with it. There has been 3 month periods where I have walked over 3 miles a day every day. I had over 500 miles in the first quarter of 2014.

29509743.png
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

What is this "toning" you speak of? You mean lifting or do you mean bodyweight "strength" exercises like squats, lunches, ab work, etc? To be quite honest, that's probably not doing much for you. Muscles do not "tone" - they either get bigger or they get smaller. In order to avoid losing a bunch of muscle along with fat, you should be lifting heavy about 3 times per week. This doesn't mean squatting while holding 5-lb dumbbells. Why not ease up on spinning and spend some time in the weight section?

This! Your cardio is fine but for what you want, lift heavy things!