chances that the scale at the dr was wrong ?

Options
last week at my in laws house i got on the scale and was 134 pounds (this was after a pretty large meal) yesterday i had an appointment and when i got on the scale i was 127 pounds. i really havnt done much for weight loss at all these past few days.
both scales i got on have been digital ones.
anyone work at the drs office and know more about this. i would love to think im 127 :p but im not to sure

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Copied reply from another thread:

Not unusual...and really of no concern.

The actual number (although a nice "victory" when you drop down into that next decade of weight) is relatively meaningless if you look at it as a lifelong journey.

Whether you actually weigh, 132, 130, 128, 129, or 131 is relatively immaterial - you probably weighed all of those at some point TODAY.

Focus on the long term trend - be that losing, maintaining or gaining - whatever your goals are. Keeping that trend consistent is what your goal should be.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    last week at my in laws house i got on the scale and was 134 pounds (this was after a pretty large meal) yesterday i had an appointment and when i got on the scale i was 127 pounds. i really havnt done much for weight loss at all these past few days.
    anyone work at the drs office and know more about this. i would love to think im 127 :p but im not to sure

Let me guess. You're assuming that weighing a couple pounds is what it takes to look better naked. That's not necessarily true if you're within 10 pounds of your goal weight. At any rate just pick one scale and use that one. Forget what other scales say.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have had scales at a doctor's office be incorrect before. I told them it was wrong. A few pounds is one thing but 10 or a similar number tells me their scales are not working correctly.

I go by the number on my own scales. The numbers on different scales will vary a bit. It is not really the number that is important when one is working on weight/fat loss. It is the downward trend that matters.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maybe go by your in laws scale since I'm guessing you would use that one more often?
    There's really no way to know which scale was "right", and chances are, they are both off. The scale at my doctor's office had my daughter weighing 5lbs less than the public health centre (5lbs is a big difference for her age/size). The public health centre's scales were calibrated daily so it was my doctor's office scale that was off.
  • itsjen516
    Options
    ya we are heading over back to the in laws tonight to pick some stuff up so i guess ill get on it again. blah i hate to weight my self :(
    i used to do it EVERYDAY when i was living at home sometimes 3 or more times a day
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I would not give it a second thought. That's only a five pound difference, which is probably nothing more than normal weight fluctuation.
  • itsjen516
    Options
    So I'm at the in laws house and I indeed did lose 8 pounds in under a week. Today I was 126 :-/ I have not done a single thing to try and lose weight :-/ I'm starting to think something is wrong
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    So I'm at the in laws house and I indeed did lose 8 pounds in under a week. Today I was 126 :-/ I have not done a single thing to try and lose weight :-/ I'm starting to think something is wrong

It was explained to you many times up above.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office scale weighs me in 3.5 pounds lighter. ;)

A housecleaning client's scale has me nearly 5 pounds lighter.

Trouble is, when I weigh myself at home after using either of those I feel a tad bit disappointed.