How not to tell myself white lies in weak moments

Options

Replies

• yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This may not be the answer you want to hear, but this was the truth for me at least.

You just have to stop. It's as hard and as simple as that. You have the ability to not get donuts after having breakfast, to not snack on chips before dinner, to not have 2 pieces of cake and a pint of ice cream. It's not as simple as flipping a switch on or off, but eventually something will "click" and you'll get it.

In all honesty, anyone can justify eating anything if they think about it long enough. You have to make a conscious effort to tell yourself "I'm not going to have this, I will wait for lunch." or "I will have this other thing instead." It's much harder to tell yourself no than it is to give in, but it's worth it. You have to keep your end goal in mind and just do it.
  • RadicalGrace22
    RadicalGrace22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL, that was a brilliant idea SonicDeathMon to cure the desire for a unhealthy food!!: :happy:
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to start making good choices until those become your new routine/habit. It starts with saying no once, then the next time, etc. It's a hard cycle to stop, but you can.

When I'm craving something, I tell myself I'll skip it today but I can have it tomorrow. Usually, when tomorrow comes, I'm over the craving so I skip it! It helps me a lot - maybe it will help you? I also think about how I've had the food I'm wanting so many times, I know what it tastes like, it's not that special.

When I'm exercising, I do the same thing. I aim for 45 mins of whatever, and I'm usually ready to give up around 5 minutes in. So I tell myself, "okay, I'll just go for another minute and then I'm done" and then the minutes up and I realize I still have enough energy, I can do this!

Good luck! You can do it, just one day (meal) at a time.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    -Only eat yummy food, food that is so good that I in 99 out of 100 instances will prefer that to any junk, and food that makes me satisfied, not more hungry.

All really good tips, but ^^this^^ is the key for me. When it's that 1 in 100th time, it's always a let down and then I remember why I genuinely enjoy the good stuff more.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just log EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Last night I logged one chick-fil-a chicken nugget and one waffle fry, even though I was well under my calories (I'm sick and my appetite sucked yestetday). That is how I have lost 70lbs in 20 weeks.

Just being mindful has gradually led me into better choices. I seldom want cake, cookies, ice cream or salty/gready snacks anymore, but if I really want it, I pay attention and make room in my calories for it. No mindless eating, period.

ETA: I eat dark chocolate daily, and I still get Starbucks 2-4 times a week. I just get a tall plain latte instead of a venti caramel machiatto.

I'm the same way, I log EVERYthing. It's become a little obsession/game for me. My first time on here I lost 65 pounds that way. (Gained it back from pregnancy and a wonked up thyroid.) But I'm 10 pounds down now. I hardly ever crave anything bad because I log it, see how screwy my day would become and realize it's not worth it. Also maybe try bringing your food at work home then eat breakfast at home and it might help with the cravings but if you are absolutely going to have that muffin then try to change to a healthier type of muffin. Bran or Corn something like that.
  • RadicalGrace22
    RadicalGrace22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just log EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Last night I logged one chick-fil-a chicken nugget and one waffle fry, even though I was well under my calories (I'm sick and my appetite sucked yestetday). That is how I have lost 70lbs in 20 weeks.

Just being mindful has gradually led me into better choices. I seldom want cake, cookies, ice cream or salty/gready snacks anymore, but if I really want it, I pay attention and make room in my calories for it. No mindless eating, period.

ETA: I eat dark chocolate daily, and I still get Starbucks 2-4 times a week. I just get a tall plain latte instead of a venti caramel machiatto.

Wow- you lost 70 pounds in 20 weeks?!? We all need to pause for a moment of silence to honor you. Was that your goal when you started? That is the most amazing thing I have read on here.
    I too want that sort of success. You log every single bite? Is that the only key to rapid/consistent fat melt? Kuddos to you!!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

Wow- you lost 70 pounds in 20 weeks?!? We all need to pause for a moment of silence to honor you. Was that your goal when you started? That is the most amazing thing I have read on here.
    I too want that sort of success. You log every single bite? Is that the only key to rapid/consistent fat melt? Kuddos to you!!

Starting at 375lbs, I can drop weight alot faster than people who were not so heavy. It will slow down as my weight decreases, but for now I will cherish my 3.5lbs per week. It really is as simple as self-discipline and making conscious decisions vs mindless ones. I have thought about getting something, realized the 600+ calories in my diary were not worth it, and just passed. Many times. It also helps that as the time has passed I have become conscious of my macros. I feel alot more satisfied on a balanced diet (105g carbs, 50g fat and 120g protein are my macros), than I do if I eat carb heavy.

Now sometimes, like last week, I decide that the arctic cod sandwich with steak fries, on a real bun, with tartar sauce, is worth it. I went over my calorie goal that day, but only in a limited fashion, and I stayed within my calories for the week as a whole. It is important not to treat every slip like a big deal: log it, own it, move on.

You -can- do this.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. If I'm heading to the coffee shop in the morning it's *so hard* to not also grab a pastry to eat... that was my morning breakfast routine for years, and there's something so delicious about the coffee with the sweetness of the pastry. I know I can tell myself that I just don't need it/shouldn't have it, but yes, I also have those moments of self-sabotage where I will justify *anything* for what I'm craving that very moment.

So, now when I'm running into the coffee shop in the morning on my way to work, I extract $2 from my wallet and then leave my wallet in the car. I have enough to pay for my coffee, and nothing else. If I walk in with my wallet in hand, I may walk out with something more than just coffee once I see that delicious bakery display. But I never walk in with my $2, see something I want, then walk back out to my car just to get more money. Not once. I just pay for my coffee and leave.

I also have enough of a grasp on how much pastries "cost," calorie-wise, that I'll often think of all the other things I could be having *more* for the same cost as that one pastry, like "that one muffin is at least 3 Skinny Cow ice cream bars!" That helps too. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to know my temptations and then avoiding them. Also, to help myself be mindful about these things by writing them down (journaling or adding it to my logging). To take your examples:
    For example, I'm going to have a healthy breakfast - I'll eat that yogurt and banana w/ almond butter I have at work. And I mean it. ...but then I go to dunkin donuts to get my typical morning coffee and in the moment I drive away w/ a muffin and a donut.

You know this happens, so you can plan for it. One thought is to eat before you go to DD, and another is not to go to DD. Make coffee at home or get it where you won't be tempted until you are stronger in the face of it. For me, just eating at home prevents me from wanting to get my old breakfast at the place downstairs from work, and now that I'm in the habit I couldn't imagine changing back, because I prefer my current breakfast. Here, your breakfast sounds like one you could have easily at home.

Worst case, when you do this force yourself to toss the DD purchase and eat your breakfast. The wasted money would bum me out such that I'd stop it.
    I know I'm not the only one that does this kind of thing, so I'm asking for advice/tips on what you guys have done to get through those weak/impulsive moments.

Realize that putting yourself into temptations that are hard to withstand is basically asking for failure in that eventually you will cave. It's not an always thing, but try to make it easier for yourself by knowing where you have trouble (write it down--in the evening set out what worked and didn't) and avoiding those situations. If you do badly when you get too hungry, add a snack or make sure you have food available so won't have to skip a meal. If it's certain places, avoid them, or avoid them at certain times. There are strong associations if you've always done something, so you have to get yourself out of that.

At least, these are the kinds of things that worked for me.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Next time you order a donut, order a dozen. Eat as many as you can until you are physically sick and never want one again. Worked for Peeps, Gardettos, and Doritos. Just don't do it in front of people.

I didn't work for Homer

tumblr_mfq06y5nyE1qfrrv2o1_500.gif

And it won't work for chronic compulsive overeaters either (raising hand). In fact, eating in secret and eating things like donuts until I was physically sick were things I did every day for about 10 years. So no...it doesn't work.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think the only way is to form habits. Get out of the habit of buying that doughnut/muffin.

We go to dunkin's almost every day too on the way to work. Always get a coffee. If I want something I get one of their veggie egg white wake up wraps (150 cals and the macros are decent).

The only choice I have is whether or not I want that wrap. I don't peruse the menu for choices, that's my only choice there. Simplifies things.
  • jenniferlauriat
    Options
    I do yell at myself in those moments. I think to myself "Oh, freakin' knock it off! You know what that tastes like, it's not going to change if you don't have it right now." You can also practice "mindful eating": instead of eating on the run (in the car, standing in front of the sink, etc.), set the table properly, sit and eat slowly. So go ahead and have that doughnut, but only eat it while sitting at the table. Some other tips are to chew each bite at least 20 times and put the fork down between bites. Good luck!
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Dear OP (and anyone else who feels they have a severe problem with deluding themselves to the point of bingeing or overeating without even realizing it until afterward, for example):

If you are interested, here is a wonderful document that can guide you through some deeper exploration of why you do what you do. It also gives suggestions of how to overcome it.

http://oamidpeninsula.org/downloads/Sponsors_guide.pdf

I have attended the Overeaters Anonymous program on and off for several years and have found the program to be the gateway to finding solutions for my compulsiveness. The document I'm linking to is from that program.

I tried everything and this was the only thing that worked for me, personally. Not saying it will work for you, but it might be worth a look.

To go through the exercises in the doc, you'll need to get the OA "Big Book" as a companion. The BB can be found on amazon used for a buck, usually.

This doc is actually designed for sponsors, however, there are several sections within it that take you through some of the steps of the program and ask you very pointed questions that get you to think deeply about your past, your fears, your ways of coping, etc. You can just skip over any language directed at sponsors...

I suggest skipping the first 9 pages and starting on Page 10 ("FIRST 30 QUESTIONS FOR NEWCOMERS") .

Then, pages 16-20 take you through the first Three Steps. Lots of good stuff in there.

Finally, pages 22-33 is the big kahuna, the Fourth Step which is, essentially a super in-depth exploration of who you are as a person, morally, emotionally, psychologically, etc. It gets you to take a VERY honest look at yourself, your life, etc. The exercise is designed to get us face our fears, anxieties, anger, resentment, and learn how to deal with them. If you want to stop lying to yourself.....this is the step to help you....

Sorry this is so long but I think working through this stuff could be a life saver for someone. It sure was for me. I am FINALLY free of my horrible slavery to food. Three years later, I still maintain my 65 lb loss and my amazingly happy and contented and BINGE-FREE life. :happy: :love:

I hope it helps. Blessings.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Oh, you might also find this interesting (from page 14 in the doc I linked to):

THE ACT OF SURRENDERING THE THERAPEUTIC PROCESS
    By Dr. Harry Tiebout, MD

In the compulsive overeater, there are two qualities, which are characteristic of their personality: Defiant Individuality and Grandiosity. This may very well explain the well-known fact that the overeater is, among the not so sick, the most unreasonable and stubborn about seeking help or being able to take it even when he seeks it. Both of these qualities operate in unconscious layers of the mind and the influence of both must be defined as: That quality which permits the individual who has it to snap his fingers in the face of reality and live on unperturbed. It has two special values for handling life situations.

In the first place, Defiance, certainly with overeaters, is a surprisingly effective tool for managing anxiety or a bit of reality that is so often a source of anxiety. If you DEFY A FACT AND SAY IT IS NOT SO, and you can succeed in doing so unconsciously, you CAN EAT TO THE DAY OF YOUR DEATH, forever denying the imminence of that fate. It is a trustworthy shield against truth and all its pressures. In the second place, defiance, masquerades as a very real and reliable source of inner strength and self-confidence because it says in essence: 'Nothing can happen to me because I can and do defy it.'

Grandiosity, as structured in the psyche of the overeater, springs from the persisting infantile ego which, as in other neurotic states, characteristically is filled with feelings of omnipotence, demands for direct gratification of wishes and a proneness to interpret frustration as evidence of rejection and lack of love. On the one side, the defiance says it is not true that I CAN'T MANAGE EATING. On the other side the facts speak loudly and with increasing insistence to the contrary. Again on the one side,
    grandiosity claims there is nothing it cannot master and control; on the other side, the facts demonstrate unmistakably the opposite. The dilemma of the overeater is now obvious. His unconscious mind rejects, through its capacity for defiance and grandiosity that its conscious mind perceives. Hence, realistically, the individual is frightened by his/her eating and at the
    same time is prevented from doing anything about it by the unconscious activity, which can and does ignore or override the conscious mind. With submission to a diet, which at best is a superficial yielding, tension still continues-."There'll come a day when I lose the weight, then I can eat.....".

With surrender, on the other hand, when the ability to accept reality functions on the unconscious level, there is no residual of
    battle, and relaxation with freedom from strain and conflict ensues. The tools of the HOW program are therefore designed to induce surrender to the fullest degree possible so that defiance and grandiosity actually cease effectively to function. When that happens, the individual is wide open to reality: He can listen and learn without conflict and fighting back. He is receptive to life, not antagonistic. He senses a feeling of relatedness and at-oneness, which becomes the source of inner peace and serenity, the possession of which frees the individual from the compulsion to eat. In other words, an act of surrender is an occasion wherein the
    individual no longer fights life, but accepts it. WITH SOME INDIVIDUALS, THE SURRENDER EXPERIENCE IS THE START OF GENUINE GROWTH AND MATURATION. With others, the surrender phase is the only one ever reached, so that they never lose the need to attend meetings and rely on outside reminders in their daily existence to supply necessary impetus to the surrender feeling, as far as food is concerned.
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging everything. Sooner or later you will see that that high calories treat just isnt worth it. I also plan my entire day the night before by logging everything i am going to eat and packing it in a small cooler (like a lunch bag), for the day. It really helps me to stay on track and then i know what I have leftover that I can use to treat myself if I want. I have not cut anything out of my diet; if i want it i find a way to make it work. I just usually watch my portions and enjoy in moderation.

Also, if I know I am going to be at a function where food will not be healthy or where it is harder to make smart choices or if I am going on vacation, whatever it ma be I will go into "maintenance mode" on MFP for the duration. That why I get a few extra calories to enjoy while still enjoying the party or trip but again it is all about portions.

Hope it helps. I am by no means an expert; it is just what I find works for me but to each their own.

Happy losing! :flowerforyou:
  • Dawn5202
    Dawn5202 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to sit yourself down and have a talk, just like the ones you have when you are allowing yourself to be tempted. This time have a honest talk. Don't go to DD - it is a trigger as you can buy donuts and muffins there! Just don't go. Make your own coffee or go someplace else. Remember this is your body, your decisions, your goals ..... Start having talks with yourself that you can do this, you will do this. And like everybody else said, log what you eat, seeing that information in black and white can be very motivating, as you can't lie to yourself when you see the calories. Good luck and remember this is a journey.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For instance, breakfast. If you have breakfast waiting for you at work, why do you need to stop at DD on the way? If it's just for coffee, make a DIFFERENT plan for getting coffee. Make it yourself at home and pack it in a travel mug. Stop at 7-Eleven or a deli instead of DD. Use the coffeemaker at work. Etc.

I need to figure this out for myself for a specific time of day: after work but before dinner. My husband usually cooks and if it's not ready when I get home then I often need a snack to get through, even though I never pre-log a late afternoon snack like I do the rest of my day. Yesterday I broke down and ate several handfuls of BBQ potato chips (which were not in the house when I left for work that morning, grr!). Logged 'em and still stayed in my calorie goal, but I would have preferred to save the calories for a snack before bed. Any ideas what I can do to avoid the pre-dinner munchies?

Definitely, if you can avoid stopping at DD at all then that is probably your best bet. Plus, think of all the money you will save not buying a coffee every morning! I know it's tough but sometimes you just have to say no. I find asking myself "Do I really need that?" is a good way to go. Sometimes I will say no but have it anyway. But, at least by taking the moment to pause and ask that question, you are actually thinking about what your doing and not just doing it. A follow up question to "Do I really need that?" is "Why do I want it?" If the answer is "Because it tastes good." Then I generally will not eat it. For example, this morning I had a pop tart for breakfast. It was very hard to not eat the second one but I knew 1) I only wanted it because it tasted good and 2) I didn't want to eat 400 calories for breakfast.

It's tough because you don't want to deny yourself items that you enjoy but you need to account for the calories if you are going to indulge. :) Just keep the end goal in mind and that what your working towards.

knitapeace, I have the same problem! Right before dinner is the worst. I find if I distract myself, I'm usually safe. I try to do chores or sometimes hubby and I cook dinner together. If I don't keep myself busy though I end up eating more than I should.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    logging it OR looking up the calories of what I think I want ahead of time really deters me from eating the calorie bomb. also, logging my breakfast and lunch the night before really helps me. I teach so I cannot be on my computer logging all day long. if I logged my breakfast and lunch (that I packed the night before) I am less likely to deviate from that--too lazy to go back in and change it or afraid I'll forget OR I can see already how many calories I have left for snacks and dinner and don't want to use them up stupidly. yesterday I had a BIG taste for a chai, so I got a tall non fat chai on my way home and it was still 160 calories, so that meant I didn't have my two cookies with my tea before bed. I missed those cookies, though, so I may not have that chai at 4pm next time!!

when I see how many calories one item is I am usually not willing to "spend" that many calories on one small thing. 400 calories for an entire meal is one thing, but 400 calories for one slice of pie just doesn't seem worth it...most of the time! I did take my kids out for a treat on the first day of school and I too had a piece of pie, but I had a slice of peach not the gigantic chocolate cream slice with two inches of whipped cream on top and then I walked for a little extra that day, so I still stayed within my calories. I gotta say--DD is such unhealthy junk, don't spend your calories that way! if you must have a donut at least go to an actual bakery and have a high quality donut!!!!!!!

like others have said, it's all under your control and all about choices--don't act like "wow, how did that happen?!?!". Be in control!!!!!
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Can you buy DD brand coffee to make at home? Because I've never known a single soul who prefers DD coffee who could just... stop drinking DD coffee. I figure they must put crack in it. So making it at home would be the best way to get that special DD coffee taste, without having to see all the tempting pastries.

I don't drink coffee at all, so I don't know jack about what is available to make at home vs. can only be bought at the shop.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know different things work for different people. Some people need to abstain from certain trigger foods or they will binge. For me, moderation is what worked. For years I tried giving up certain foods, desserts, carbs, fast/junk food.Nothing worked. Until I began to allow myself these foods in moderation. I now let myself have smaller portions of whatever I am craving. If one day I am craving a bag of chips, I have it. Another day I crave Starbucks, I have it. Ice cream, I have it. As long as it is within my daily calories. When I would deprive myself, it would make me gorge on "healthy" foods which made me fat because it was jus too many calories. Now that I am no longer deprived I do not feel the need to eat in such large quantities. Sometimes I cannot believe I lost 44 pounds eating the same foods I refused to because they were fattening. You just have to find what works for you!