Watching what I eat has made me "less fun"

GRRRRRRR. Just because I don't down 3 sushi rolls anymore or not always willing to partake in a margarita happy hour doesn't mean I'm not fun anymore. I pick and choose my indulgences. If I want a margarita I will have one, but I don't want a pitcher once a week anymore. If I want sushi, I get ONE roll, and not as often. But I'm still me and more than willing to come along for a good time and maybe split something.

It's getting frustrating hearing this from friends, coworkers, etc. Those who have gone through this, how did you cope? I'm getting close to getting super sassy :grumble:

Replies

• pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    I have had this happen too. I think people are afraid that changing what you eat means you are changing who you are or your relationship with them, so they try to make things the way they always were. I just suggest activities that aren't centered around food when those people want to make plans.
  • bgoodsmile
    bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
    I haven't had anyone point that out to me, but I FEEL like I am less fun...

I am not drinking until my bday trip at the end of this month, I am not planning any dinners out with other couples or gfs, I bring my own food to friends' houses/cook-outs, I am not entertaining right now (I am known for gourmet & ethnic dinner parties lol) I feel anxious when a situation causes me to have to grab a bite out - or I skip/delay eating until I can eat something I am positive I can log accurately...

I need to relax!!!
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    I just started but I know I am going to feel like that shortly. My cowoerkers (and they are actually closer to friends than coworkers) go out to lunch once to twice a week and we have a blast doing it. For now I am going to have to cut out going out for lunch as it is just hard being on low carb diet and eating out. I mean they will understand completely and actually be happy for me but what is going to be difficult is just not being being in the conversation as that is when we always have so much fun.
    I guess I could just go along anyways and not eat anything (hopefully the restaurant wouldn't be mad)
  • I went with the truth. When people were like just one more drink it's not that many calories blah blah blah. I told them I didn't want another. I was happy with what I ate/drank and it was true. There was a time where I would drink until I couldn't stand but now staying in my calorie goal makes me happy. And I am a sushi fanatic but instead of having special rolls I go basic. I'll eat two regulars like one tuna one salmon roll because I can have both for the cost of other rolls like salmon tempura with avocado and cream cheese and deep fried with special sweet sauce. Also cutting spicy mayo from any roll saves you loads of calories.

I honestly tend to know where I am eating before I leave so I plan out what I want before I get there so it looks more natural than having to fret on the spot and I never look disappointed by only being able to get x amount because I already know. Like I went with hubby and friends to an all you can eat Indian buffet so I calculated how many glasses of chai I could have how much pompadoms and naan and everything I was going to eat. I had a 900 calorie lunch but to me it was worth it and looked natural. I was also honestly still full come dinner so my dinner was a banana. I do the same everywhere. Like I know what I can eat at Burger King for 400 Calories. I can do that with several places that my friends like to go to so I never have to justify or explain dieting to them.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Still go, just don't eat or drink the same things they do. They are probably more concerned about your lack of participation than what you put in your body.

Is there a certain number of sushi rolls that makes a person more fun?!?!?! Hehe just teasing. But seriously. Don't call attention to it and just quietly do you and no one will say anything.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Yup. It's made me "less fun" but also "more hot" "more energetic" "stronger", "set a better example for my son" and "feel better about myself". :wink:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I don't get this. You're still the same person. Just because you don't stuff your face with sushi doesn't mean your personality has changed. I think that you eating healthy is making your friends rethink their food choices and they resent that. You're not fun because you're making them feel guilty.

Not your fault. That's their problem.
  • You are also "less fat".
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    I think it's about how you define "fun." Is "fun" having a few more drinks, having a ton of sushi rolls? Or is "fun" just going out (whether you're drinking a margarita or a water, or having 1 sushi roll instead of 3 sushi rolls)?

I think if you simply point out to people that the amount of alcohol you drink or sushi rolls you eat has no direct impact on the amount of fun they are having, they might start to get it.

Easier said then done, I'm sure - but there should be no direct impact there (unless alcohol or sushi directly changes your personality, which for some folks, it might).
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    In the past two years of losing weight, I haven't skipped out on a single event because of food.

Friends want to go to a buffet? No problem. I look up whatever I can find nutritionally and try to eat dishes that will help me hit my macros (ie. lean proteins, vegetables that aren't coated in sauces) and I always get fruit for dessert over the cakes/brownies/ice cream whatever.

It's happy hour and my co-workers want to head out for a drink? No problem. If I've got calories to spare, I'll have something. If I don't, I'll drink water. The point is that you're there for the experience.

It's your birthday and someone buys you a cupcake? THE HORROR. Eat it if you like cupcakes and if you feel like you must, do something active to burn off those 300 calories.

The reality is, life is full of activities that will in some way involve food or liquid calories, if you're taking yourself out of the equation and just not going, that's your decision. But you can certainly still go, and stick to your intake.

I have encouraged my friends to get involved with activities that aren't necessarily food based, or which have foods that I feel comfortable enjoying. My SO and I held a dinner party a few months back for a bunch of our friends, which was really fun, and since I made all the food, I had complete control over what I was eating. I've also convinced several of my friends to go for a hike or trail walk instead of sitting down at a cafe. Over time, you'll find what works for you.
  • Hello. Yep,sounds familiar. I think I understand what you feel.

It happened me recently with a nice woman I have been seeing. She, kind of accidentally, blurted out that my dieting and MyFittnessPal recording was "so anti-social" because I didn't want to eat some pizza & chips she had bought for a group of friends who were painting her kitchen. It was fun day, but I found myself bothered by the comments.
    Because she was, I suppose, a little inconvenienced that the treats/lunch she bought to say 'thank you' to everyone ware not OK with me. And she had tried to take me into account by buying some pre-prepared couscous salad which she thought was healthy. But it was chock-full of cheeses and oil and as bad as the pizza :-). I guess she was (in a small way) disappointed at not being able to be a good hostess or say thank you or whatever.... There wasn't a big embarrassing scene or anything like that. I just politely declined the stuff, made a joke about being anal obsessive compulsive and dug a banana out from somewhere. But I felt a little bad and wondered was I being a bit of an irritation.

However, I feel now that there's no point thinking I've inconvenienced her or anyone. It's my life and my body, right? Maybe the best thing to do is to kindly thank people for the offer of whatever it is (booze, pizza, chocs) and tell them something which helps them reconcile what you're doing i.e. "my running-friend/gym buddy is doing better than me this month.... so I'm trying to be good".... or "...I'm getting really close to my target(s) and don't want to flake now..." etc.
    Then, celebrate when you hit your goal :-))). I still delighted after hitting my goal weight 70kg on Tuesday. So I had wine and chocs on Wed, sausages & pasta on Thurs and then set the bar a little lower.... so I can lose some more and put it back on as muscle. I'm MUCH happier doing than, than having 1/2 a pizza some day.
    Good luck
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Best thing to do is suggest different things - I also struggled with friends who only ate and drank as activities. I started suggesting other things - got a six flags season pass with my friend to do that on weekends - bring our own cooler with healthy food - instead of a bar, hiking with another group, and if someone really wants "food days" I offer to host and cook for everyone instead! Some friends may fall away, but even when you're "done" - do you think you could go back to bars/restaurants all the time to maintain? Also since you're still going out now - instead of not going at all, which I had to do - it's kind of their problem! Try some meetup groups for hiking, whatever activities you're into - find friends who are more into doing "things"!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    I would hear similar things from friends and loved ones wanting me to indulge on days when I couldn't, or tear up a buffet or drink all night.

What happened was I changed my idea of "fun." Eating a bunch of food isn't really that much fun. At least not compared to this:

IMG955747_zps5160d83e.jpg

RANDOM GERMAN!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Who ARE these people? No one in my life has ever cared what or how much I was eating.

I do have a few alcoholics around me who try to push me to drink sometimes (I'm just not much of a drinker) but they don't care if I'm dieting.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Never mind them. You're looking after your health and don't be ashamed in telling them so. I know it gets frustrating; I get that kind of attitude from my siblings and husband. I just ignore them all. You're just not wanting the old you anymore. At the end of the day, your friends / family / relatives etc will still be the way they are but you will have changed - for a healthier you.

People compliment me on how good I look but then mock the steps I've taken to get there. That's their reaction, not mine. I'm not doing this for them. Hang in there.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Since I don't know the "background story" on this, I'll just say a few things....

I've found it best not to necessarily mention or talk a lot about what you are or are not eating.... (people don't understand, they jump to conclusions, and they certainly don't want to know how many calories, fat grams, etc. are in what they're eating.)

If someone "notices" the change in your behavior, just tell them you're trying to make "healthier choices". (truth, and much easier to deal with than the word "diet" or "lifestyle change")

Mostly, I have to assure my family that they don't need to fix special meals for me or avoid having certain foods at any event. I'm perfectly capable of making good choices with what I have to work with (well, most of the time, lol). Even if it's not the healthiest food, has a lot of calories, etc... then I just have less of it. Once they see that I pretty much eat whatever, they seem to relax a lot more.

Hopefully this helps... :flowerforyou:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    GRRRRRRR. Just because I don't down 3 sushi rolls anymore or not always willing to partake in a margarita happy hour doesn't mean I'm not fun anymore. I pick and choose my indulgences. If I want a margarita I will have one, but I don't want a pitcher once a week anymore. If I want sushi, I get ONE roll, and not as often. But I'm still me and more than willing to come along for a good time and maybe split something.

It's getting frustrating hearing this from friends, coworkers, etc. Those who have gone through this, how did you cope? I'm getting close to getting super sassy :grumble:

I'm not fun, so it's not an issue for me.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Who ARE these people? No one in my life has ever cared what or how much I was eating.

I do have a few alcoholics around me who try to push me to drink sometimes (I'm just not much of a drinker) but they don't care if I'm dieting.

It's the same thing; your friends want you to drink when they're drinking while her friends want her to eat and drink when they're doing it. I'm pretty sure that your friends have mocked you and laughed at you a time or two for being such a stickler when it comes to booze just like she's being heckled by her friends for monitoring her food intake and booze consumption while they're not doing it.